Deptford Commercials ( Don Alexander)

I know that Ive asked this question on here before, but does anybody here remember Deptford Commercials? , we ran out of North Farm at Loughton. It was owned by Don Alexander, a real character and a very good bloke to do work for. The blokes there that I can remember were, Dennis Newley, Neville Woolridge (Chinky), Dave Johnston, Ossie Mackintosh, Peter Lemon, Frank ******* (North London somewhere) and Kieth ******* ( who lived up the M11 someplace) . We had Dons original old F88 which we all had a turn in driving, but we all had new Ford Transcontinentals

There’s two survivors on for us at Fieldings Archie, Chinky Nev as you said and old Micky Bryant,

Thanks Jacko, Wow Mickey Bryant, I´ve got a photo of him and his wife in a paddle boat, on a lake that we all went to one weekend in Italy. Say hullo to him from me please.

Hi again Jacko, If you speak to Chinky or Mickey, ask them where Don is now, I´ve tried to contact him but can´t seem to locate him.

North farm, what a industrial estate that was :slight_smile: Home to Alec Griffiths who used to pull mainly for AMG interfreight , Mavetons/DW Burns/Hopepeak - all owned by the same two fellas and on M/E work for Schenkers, a few owner drivers used to have a small bit of land they shared . all along side a lot of small units doing everything from a small foundry to furniture restoration, and a good number of scrap yards

One thing about that estate is that everyone used to help each other out, borrowing forklifts, jet washes, trailers even the odd times borrowing units. It was regular thing for me to run into London to get the lads passports stamped with Visa’s , and I normally had a few extra to collect for other firms or owner drivers from the estate to collect.

When Buckhurst hill got really bad with snow and Ice Hopepeak used to keep its F86 wrecker at the top and spend hours dragging cars and trucks up it.

Hi Rikki, Yes thats right, I remember all of those people Lou and Nigel, Alec and the rest, just as you came in on the left was Ray Phillipss yard, as you say it was a good community. Ah! Nostalgia.

Remember Lou and Nigel very well, Real nice guys , but I wouldnt have argued with either of them if you know what I mean, :wink: :wink: Nigel in particular often used the old fashioned way of sacking people - and it wasnt a chat, a handshake and best wishes for the future :wink: :wink: :open_mouth:

My uncle was the transport manager for Mavetons. and when I first left school he got me a job in the yard stripping down the tilts, steam cleaning and running into London to collect the passports from various embassies.

Hi Rikki, You are certainly right about not arguing with those two and as you say especially Nigel, I remember Dennis Newley used to do a bit arround the yard and a bit of fitting too, with I seem to remember a coloured guy Nevile, also you might remember Don Alexander (Paddy) he flew out a few times for Lou to repair broken down trucks.

Hi guys
I remember walking past Ossie’s green TransCon in Ilford when I was walking home from school, I went to the same school as his wife and also recall going round his house one day. He used to park up in the railway yard.
Then, several years later, when I was pulling for Roy Bradford, I met Neville Adams who used to be the fitter and then OD pulling for Mavetons.He used to tell me about the fridges to Marseille and Algiers. He had a White Road Commander, CON 540V, I think was the reg, I’ve posted some pics of it on here, in Bulgy, on our way back from Istanbul about 1986.
Then Neville came on for Astran for a while and we done a few trips to Doha together. He took me down to Istanbul on my first trip for Roy.
Then he stopped driving and was back on the spanners in a yard in Rainham, and I used to take my trucks to him for service between trips.
He always had a big Cigar hanging off his lip. He told me that he was going to retire in his native home Jamaica innit !!
I will dig out some pics and post them.
GS

Talking to Micky today Archie, Don passed away quite a few years ago from a brain tumor. Micky was telling some stories about them days, said Don was one of the best!

Hi Jacko., Bloody hell that is a real shock, such a fit and active bloke, I just can´t believe it. Yes he really was a good bloke, he really helped me out in the mid 70s when I had a problem. I drove for him then for about 18 months after that, a fantastic guy to work for, I lived with him and Marelyn for a while and their two sons Mark and Glen. I am really very sorry to hear that piece of news. When you see Mick again, ask him if Ann and Sharon are still keeping well. Tell him to take it a bit easy now as hell be getting old now.