We've received a request for info on a Dodge chassis

essexpete:

DEANB:

essexpete:
Interesting reading about the 500 series and thanks for posting. I don’t think I have a photo of Dads tipper anywhere. New in 1966 with a 6.354 and an Eaton 2sp axle. It must have been quite a good cab for local work. Where the ■■■■■■■ V6 engines any good? Was the V8 similar to that in the Ford D series?

Hello Pete,

Heres a clipping that mentions the 6.354 engine was reliable. :wink:

Click on once to read.

Thanks! I read the expected life between major overhaul was 100k miles. Does not seem much by todays standards. I have a 6.354 in a JCB excavator. I don’t think it has been apart but it smokes a bit and I reckon in a truck it would be down on ponies.

That was quite good for a diesel of that size back then, we had Bedford, Ford and BMC diesels expire long before 100k! One Bedford had three engines in twelve months, and I remember fitting two engines into a BMC FJK without it actually leaving the workshop as both overheated on pressure test. Perkins did a plan where you sent them your old engine and they sold you a factory renovated one, many operators did that to save downtime. Even Gardner advised removing the cylinder heads every 48,000 miles to regrind the valves and remove carbon.

Pete.