K&M (Hauliers) Hucknall, Notts

So as not to further hijack the Fodens thread, please share any recollections, photos etc you may have about about this once-mighty firm.

As mentioned eslewhere, they were - and still are - based at the old aerodrome off Watnall Road in Hucknall, between J26-J27 off the M1. Prior to that they had a yard next to a small zoo near Hucknall and before that were based at Picadilly in Bulwell, Nottingham.

They were a big Foden user (and also a sub-agent to Charnwood Trucks), but also ran Dafs and a one-off Scania. As times and money got tighter (early-mid 90s) they ran an assortment of motors handed down from other companies within the AAH group

Coal was king workwise, but tankers, general haulage and a commerrcial garage were also within the business.

I’ll list a few names to perhaps jog a few memories…

8-wheel tippers
Dennis Maltby
Dave Maltby
Johnny Hughes
Horace Stirland
Ron Lane (always wore a shirt & tie)

Artic tippers
George Ord (shop steward from Geordie-land, used to wear a ‘Russian’ fur hat)
Ray Bell (another shop steward)
Derek Hodgkinson
Bob Crich (he was the spitting image of Joe Brown (of ‘The Bruvvers’) fame)

General haulage (and possibly tankers)
Bob Townsend (wore a Tam o’ Shanter cap)
‘Pip’ aka Derek Spencer
Malc Andrews
Brian Rowe
Reg Barlow
(Black) ‘Billy’ Hall (his actual forenames are Fitzroy Vincent !!)
Tony Daley (aka frilly knickers), always wore a blazer, shirt & tie
Brian Pounder

SAPA fleet
Rex Worley
Paul Eastwood
Tom Priestley
Walt Bunting

Yard staff
Roy Bowers (might he have been your nemesis?!)
Noel Sellors

Garage staff
John Hodgkinson
Ray Batterson (aka Batto)

Lincoln tippers
Pete Jubb
Ted Garfoot

Management/office staff
Peter Atkinson (MD?)
Frank Burton
Gerorge Rimmington ™
Mick Fell (Mick left to work for GR Stein in north Notts)

I wonder if it was the same John who moved the workshops to Hilton. They were cracking lads, any photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a sed Atki 401 involved in a bad accident near papplewick in about 1992 , k&m came out with foden s80 breakdown lorry and towed in back to aerodrome at watnall , and did the repairs on it , I’ve got some photos somewhere , it was loaded with house coal at the time and we tipped it in k&m yard and they loaded on to another of our 8 wheelers with a loading shovel that looked like it was from world war 2 , never the less they did it ,

I’m afraid all my photos (1992-1995) are in the attic… will dig em out one day!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

longpod:
We had a sed Atki 401 involved in a bad accident near papplewick in about 1992 , k&m came out with foden s80 breakdown lorry and towed in back to aerodrome at watnall , and did the repairs on it , I’ve got some photos somewhere , it was loaded with house coal at the time and we tipped it in k&m yard and they loaded on to another of our 8 wheelers with a loading shovel that looked like it was from world war 2 , never the less they did it ,

That Weatherill shovel was Roy Bowers’ pride and joy!!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

What about Walter? Hes was about 6 foot 6’ and hands the size of shovels

As I posted elsewhere K&M painted our (Tilcons) Sed Ak 400’s when they were new. Bradley Trucks at Clay Cross had supplied them, however when steaming them off for their first annual tests there was more paint on the floor than on the cab! Underneath was unflattened factory gloss. So when I took them to Watnall for test if they passed I dropped them off at K&M to be repainted. Byron Morton reckoned that Tilcon got the paint job that they payed for, I’m guessing that they didn’t pay a lot in that case! :laughing: They were fine after the repaint though and lasted until sold after six years.

Pete.

31891317108_79be75e4ef.jpg
Where she belongs

Nmp

!(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191106/1e503a7a191df7ddc0a3fe53b3d7ff34.jpg[/IMG
Not my picture so apologies to who owns it
My Dad Mick Norman worked at K&M when they were based at Piccadilly he drove a Gardner powered Seddon similar to this one on flatbed work Rod Closs drove another Gardner powered Seddon too
My Dad left after he was told he was going on powder tankers
He’d previously worked on tankers and didn’t want to do it again
There was a gang of brothers named the Boulters who were at K&M at the time my Dad was there I worked with one of them at Stirlands Arthur Boulter
who was a right character I knew “Black Billy” as he lived just up the road from me also I knew an apprentice fitter named Julian Tennant who I still see now and again)

gazsa401:

N here I was thinking they were dyed in the wool Foden men

coomsey:

gazsa401:

N here I was thinking they were dyed in the wool Foden men

They started with AEC Mammoth Major MkV eight wheelers then went to the Ergomatic range. There was an article about how the company started in an AEC Gazette, maybe DEANB can find it in his collection of AEC Gazettes?

My younger Brother Keith who then lived in Underwood, done some sub work for K&M out of SAPA, here’s his ERF four wheeler, some one may recall him, he had a red DAF before this motor. Franky.

Foden.

clip K&M foden ppg.PNG

Ringing any bells? Cheers Coomsey nmp

49118536657_87a5f85c49.jpg
Working gal, but no sheet hooks !!■■

coomsey:
Working gal, but no sheet hooks !!■■

Netting the load was only just becoming insisted on in the early 90s as I recall Coomesey, but others will have a better idea than me. Cheers.

0FB4D6D2-7F6E-48CB-AD6D-0372D4B4650D.jpeg
Is that a Maggie in K&M colours ? At Bennerly screens .nmp .

Punchy Dan:
Is that a Maggie in K&M colours ? At Bennerly screens .nmp .

The white band looks a bit too deep for me Dan, and is the rest of the cab blue…? Can’t make out the name above the front grille; ‘Jeffreys’ rings a bell, but I thought they were grren & red too.

K&M certainly took plenty into Bennerley in the early 90s though :smiley: