UFO Transport - Wetherby & Woodkirk, Yorks

Anyone remember this company and any of its drivers - U.K. & International. Scania & Volvo tractor units. Had a fantastic 40 foot boxvan that had a painting of a UFO on the side of it.

Reefertrans:
Anyone remember this company and any of its drivers - U.K. & International. Scania & Volvo tractor units. Had a fantastic 40 foot boxvan that had a painting of a UFO on the side of it.

Welcome to the forum “Reefertrans” and YES i do remember UFO ! :smiley:

Did they also have there own Customs agents as there was one at Poole docks called UFO,or were they a seperate
company ?

Clipping from 1973.

Click on page once to read.

ufo 1973 ppg.PNG

I worked with a driver at Edwards-Bell Bradford feel sure he worked there, Joe Craven sadly no longer with us. Les.

1 Like

not my photo. Les.

Joe worked there Les , my cousin did a stint there two the job was easy enough the money was very poor . Joe had a 142

I lived in Wetherby when i drove for R Durham and used to park near a F88 UFO in the car park. This was in the early 70’s and there was only one parked there, it was hooked to a flat bed. I never saw the driver but think his surname was Horn and heard he had died several years ago.

I’ve not heard of the other driver mentioned.

DEANB:

Reefertrans:

Did they also have there own Customs agents as there was one at Poole docks called UFO,or were they a seperate
company ?

Clipping from 1973.

The F88 i used to see was (if the old memory is right) all orange as was the flatbed. Now i’ve seen this photo i think i have seen it. Are they still in business do you know ? Oh, and welcome.

remy:

DEANB:

Reefertrans:

company ?

Clipping from 1973.

The F88 i used to see was (if the old memory is right) all orange as was the flatbed. Now i’ve seen this photo i think i have seen it. Are they still in business do you know ? Oh, and welcome.

No they went a while ago , i think their yard was near East Ardsley

ramone:

remy:

DEANB:

Reefertrans:

company ?

Clipping from 1973.

No they went a while ago , i think their yard was near East Ardsley

Thanks.

High all, in my earlier years in this game we call transport I remember doing work for UFO on a traction basis, me being based in Southampton IIRC UFO had an office near the docks but that was when Townsend Thoreson’s & Normandy were running cross channel ferries from the old port but its a long time ago now, cheers Buzzer.

2EBF4158-497B-4CC2-BA34-66C52AB49811.jpegOne of the UFO Scanias

What was the old saying, ah yes. Ufo transport of the future, wages of the past. the bearded one.

thebeardedone:
What was the old saying, ah yes. Ufo transport of the future, wages of the past. the bearded one.

Yeah that’s what i heard job ok steady , new motor crap wages

Photo from Truck Central, hope it doesn’t offend Alex if it does ill remove it, anyone not familiar with Truck Central its worth a look. Les.

les-p:
Photo from Truck Central, hope it doesn’t offend Alex if it does ill remove it, anyone not familiar with Truck Central its worth a look. Les.

That could well be Joe Cravens Les

ramone:

les-p:

It could be Ramone, just comes up as John Drakes old Scany on Truck Central, i don’t know how big U F O were and if they had more than one 142. Les.

My mate Malcolm Walker worked out of Woodkirk he drove a Merc with EPS was it called that was in the 80s if I remember correctly

1 Like

les-p:

ramone:

les-p:

It could be Ramone, just comes up as John Drakes old Scany on Truck Central, i don’t know how big U F O were and if they had more than one 142. Les.

My cousin worked there for 6 months and said they only had 1 V8 and Joe drove it .He took it when Joe was on holiday much to Joes an noyance

I have quite a few photos of the UFO fridge trailers and tractor units. Reefertrans, was a division of UFO. The first 2 Reefertrans fridge trailers were pained yellow. I have also put together a list of many of the drivers that worked for UFO over the years. Spoke to 3 of the fridge boys last month, Stuart Whitehead, Steve Strange and Keith Leighton, all from the Doncaster region. Also spoke with Robert Webster, who lives in North Yorkshire.

Buzzer:
High all, in my earlier years in this game we call transport I remember doing work for UFO on a traction basis, me being based in Southampton IIRC UFO had an office near the docks but that was when Townsend Thoreson’s & Normandy were running cross channel ferries from the old port but its a long time ago now, cheers Buzzer.

Did you ever come across Bob Dark. Remember there being a manager called Allan at Southampton. They had another office in Poole and one in Dover.