BRS all popular?

hutpik:
When i was 21 i got a start at BRS in Elmstead mkt.After 2 months i got the sack for being too ‘quick’.We had a job from Colchester to Doncaster with steel.You could do it there and back in a day but we were supposed to stop halfway back and go into digs.I couldn’t handle that so came home.After 2 months i was asked to leave saying ‘‘if you want a racing job go somewhere else.’’

Hi Hutpick, Yes ,it was the Labour gov,mt that nationalised most essential industries and BRS was no exception and union membership was ‘advised’ I was expected to join a union, without a card you were liable to be turned away from docks, mines, steelworks and any other nationalised industry, depots had a shop steward to monitor working standards and it worked both ways vehicle speeds were adhered to and a heavy truck carried a 20mph plate the expected average was 16.5 mph for example ,lighter trucks were averaged at 22 mph braking performance was variable , air braking was not the norm , it was very rare for our depot to have accidents there was no excuse to speed as the schedules were generous. all in all the job was ok there was no pressure on drivers but rules were rules and penalties could be expected otherwise.---- toshboy