8LXB powered A series ERFs & Mk 2 Atkinsons

We had a fleet of 6/LXC powered Fodens (off topic I realise!) and they gave more problems than the 6/LXB’s. From new they suffered overheating issues, Gardner supplied us with different waterpump impellers, a larger water rail and thermostat plus radiators with a different core and we had to change the top and bottom tanks over, a boring job if there ever was one! Then they had excessive oil consumption, the LXC heads were returned to Gardner and LXB ones supplied in their place which we fitted and of course the LXB injectors had to be used as LXC ones were totally different, and the oil consumption improved slightly. We did have the usual overheating and siezing on one pot which affected the whole fleet, we kept a replacement block in the stores as at one time I was fitting one a week, plus one put a rod through the crankcase and at the same time twisted the gearbox primary shaft and cracked the camshaft chainwheel. I fitted a new crankshaft, block, secondhand chainwheel and crankcase to it and it gave no more problems until it went on internal duties a few years later.

Pete.