JWQ Transport

SheernessPhil:
Hello all. I’ve just joined TruckNet after stumbling across a picture of the restored JWQ Scammell Crusader. My dad Fred Knights used to drive one out of the Sheerness depot in Rushenden Road. I remember the details of the Rolls Royce badge on the grill. I can’t remember the registration and I assume there was more than one Crusader in the JWQ fleet.

Dad drove for Welby’s first of all after the war and carried on with JWQ until the early 1980s until he had to stop driving through Ill health. Dad passed away in 1984 so all my JWQ memories are from tagging along in the school holidays during the 1970s. Dad’s other trucks I remember were the AECs and Mercedes.

I have my own good memories of JWQ as everyone was very friendly and there was a good vibe about the place in those days. Sadly the Sheerness depot is no more. It’s completely gone and the site cleared, like most of the industry I remember along the Rushenden Road.

It’s been great to read the JWQ thread from start to finish. Some of the names stand out such as Brian Savage and Poppe.

Hopefully I’ll find some family JWQ memoriblia to post. All the best, Phil.

hello phil a quick question did your dad used to wear a trilby ?