Old Cafe's

sandway:

WaggerWagger888:
What a great subject for old tarmac junkies, I’ve spent the last 2 days looking through these posts and it certainly revived some memories. Channing’s café just south of Stratford on Avon on the old A34 (now A3400) was a good place en route to the Morris factory at Cowley or down to Southampton or London. Further on south between Long Compton and Chipping Norton on the downward hill was a real dump just wooden shack off a lay by in some bushes, no running water, the under growth was the toilets. A café by Neville Meluish farm machinery depot was another place to stop now a little chef type of place. The Clearways café at the bottom of death hill near Brands Hatch on the old A20 was a rough old place, if you could leave there before 6.15 a.m. going north you could go straight through the centre of London across Vauxhall bridge before 7.30 a.m. you would get a good run up through the Edgware Rd. to the M 1. That was the early 70’s, it would take hour’s nowadays that if h.g.v’s were allowed in that area.
Keep your elbows in lads.

Never had time to stop at Clearways in the early morning. If I was heading west it was always Vauxhall or Battersea bridge or if it was north then the Blackwall Tunnel or if overheight or wanted a change then Blackfriars Bridge and then up to Highbury Corner.

The good old days IMO, Young wheel attendents as sadley are now refered to these days, Dont know what they have missed in the old days driving , As in my case the late 50s onwards, I would do it all again if I could, But when one gets old one is old, : :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , But still old, Regards Larry., & Hopefully getting older with the help of Single Malts.