Scania Clutch saver system?

2 of our plant wagons have them fitted.

When you want to pull away, it doesn’t give you any rpm until your fully off the clutch. Great if you’re freighted and needing to do a hill start away from traffic lights - exactly where our depot is, on a hill with lights just outside!

The drivers have many a time rolled back and/or stalled! :open_mouth:

Is there any way to disable the system, or make it not as severe?

Goldfinger:

When you want to pull away, it doesn’t give you any rpm until your fully off the clutch. Great if you’re freighted and needing to do a hill start away from traffic lights - exactly where our depot is, on a hill with lights just outside!

yes sell the scrapia and buy a daf, problem solved

Goldfinger:

I know how he feels with the truck i am driving. It’s a Scania P280 with Opti Cruise. Now this thing has three pedals with on being the clutch. It’s a pain in the arse when you want to get moving on a hill as the bite doesn’t seem to want to bite at all. I have, just like your mate, have stalled the lorry in places where i am blocking roads etc and looking a right ■■■. other then that the truck is nice to drive

scotstrucker:

Goldfinger:

yes sell the scrapia and buy a daf, and then the problems really begin!! :laughing:

FTFY, HTH :smiley:

Merc Actros has had a clutch system on it that torques up the revs since 1997. I had one of the 1st ones in the country and actually got a lesson on how they should be driven. The clutch and the throttle pedals were never to be touched together. You let the clutch out, it revs accordingly. Clear your foot from the clutch and use accelerator. To change gear its throttle off, clutch in (after preselecting the gear), clutch out, throttle again. If done properly you would never notice anything but smoothness in the gear changes, no jumpiness. Unfortunately, it flew in the face of how everyone is taught to drive. That’s why they were never fleet motors before the axor !

They were virtually impossible to stall because of it but the downside of the coin was that if other drivers who drove them using the clutch bite (like everybody is taught to drive) then after a while you would have to reteach the electronic gear system as it would start to go out of sync.

Actrosman:

scotstrucker:

Goldfinger:

yes sell the scrapia and buy a daf, and then the problems really begin!! :laughing:

FTFY, HTH :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing:

Goldfinger:

I’ve got this on my 440 - Its not a problem your just trying to pull away in too high a gear :wink:

It’s not my truck thank [zb], I’m on one of the dual purpose ones!

Rumour has it, mine gets changed sometime next year to a Scania. :unamused:

They’ve had them before years ago before I started here. They fell to bits within 3 years!

Did they learn?

Did they hell!

They want to keep these ones for 5 years (or more) this time though. :open_mouth:

Had 2 scanias with this on. An R420 and an R560. never experienced any problems with this other than in a muddy site where i wanted to use aq higher gear to get out of a sticky situation. I found using 1st gear and skip to 3rd in normal conditions worked fine. Dan

Goldfinger:

Goldfinger:

The only way to disable the clutch saver, is a quick trip to a main dealer, its a 5 minute job on the lap top, i did mine as soon as i bought it, as well as disabling every other block that Hoyer had kindly put on!! :grimacing:

It’s just a factory setting that can be switched off at the main dealer, ours Scania s had this along with Torque restrictors that limited the revs in first and second, made it practically useless for pulling away from junctions and on hills fully freighted, so it was switched off.

I only found this out when my old truck had its ECU replaced and the bloody thing wouldn’t pull away properly, took it back to the dealer, five mins on the laptop along with a quick test drive and all was ok.

Danscania:
Had 2 scanias with this on. An R420 and an R560. never experienced any problems with this other than in a muddy site where i wanted to use aq higher gear to get out of a sticky situation. I found using 1st gear and skip to 3rd in normal conditions worked fine. Dan

Goldfinger:

Wasn’t Nick’s V8 was it?

Iveco have a similar system, limits the revs.
The idea is, as pointed out above, you can’t pull away in 2nd or 3rd, so you have to use 1st, which in turn saves the clutch slip.

Try pulling away in a lower (or lowest) gear.

cieranc:
Iveco have a similar system, limits the revs.
The idea is, as pointed out above, you can’t pull away in 2nd or 3rd, so you have to use 1st, which in turn saves the clutch slip.

Try pulling away in a lower (or lowest) gear.

:laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

There you go, you don’t even need something else fitted that may go wrong. The last thing that had Clutch slip was a Morris 1000 Traveller

Which in itself speaks voulmes.
If clutches burning out through misuse is still a such a problem, to the extent manufacturers are incorporating specific systems to prevent it, then to my mind it shows some drivers can’t be educated.

That’s all the problem is, drivers setting off in 3rd, 4th gear, lets the clutch slip leading to premature wear.
Why? Laziness. That’s one more gear change they can get away without making.

Well no more, now that driver doesn’t have a choice, it’ll only pull away in the correct gear.

Manufacturers being nannies, over-complicating things that don’t need complicating?
Or addressing a problem that shouldn’t (but obvously still does) exist?

try first gear! :unamused:

Goldfinger:

hyper26:
try first gear! :unamused:

It was indeed. However i drive it no longer. Dan

Goldfinger:

Danscania:

Goldfinger:

Wasn’t Nick’s V8 was it?

I hear Piggy’s gone to New Zealand Too…

There’ll only be Phil left to go now :wink:

Goldfinger:

Why would you roll back? Sounds like your drivers need some L plates and some lessons.