Do you throttle back when being overtaken?

I always do, by about only 2 mph and usually on the cruise control.
(After checking and knowing that no one is right up my rear.)

I hate running alongside another truck for mile after mile.
It’s a close quarters situation, it’s unecessary, it’s dangerous and it’s avoidable.

I also expect drivers to throttle back for me when I’ve got a little more umph.

Brothers (and Sisters), the job is bad enough and we’re all in the same boat.
We should help each other out more often.
Do you?

I wiil back off if passer is stuck beside me, BUT it is up to overtaker to plan his move.
Backing off for every overtaker just causes confusion to them approaching from behind on cruise.

Part of planning an over take is working out how much speed advantage you have.

bazstan009:
I wiil back off if passer is stuck beside me, BUT it is up to overtaker to plan his move.
Backing off for every overtaker just causes confusion to them approaching from behind on cruise.

bazstan009:

I agree, I’m light, he’s heavy, there’s a hill… All these factors come into play,

Yes I’ll take a click or two off as long as there’s nothing behind I hate a truck running along side me it spoils the view out me drivers side window.

If everybody played the game and didnt go out and spend 6 or 7 miles in the outside lane trying to overtake a 55mph @ 55.2mph then the job would be a lot easier because there would be less frustration for the car driver that when he does get past you then cuts you up and forces you to brake sharply which then causes that bottle neck.

Yes I back off.someone has to help the dumbo’s who drive around with the cc on max

for the sake of a few seconds just to let them pass , i too just back off just a few clicks on the cruise it doesn’t have to be much just to let them carry on .
The worst part of this is i hate being stuck out in the middle lane when you’ve just pulled over to let someone off a slip road, then they gain speed & hold you out there :imp:

sad to say we got some appauling lgv drivers out there, i’m not the greatest fan of DCPC but with any luck it’ll weed out a few & maybe educate others.
I think it’s courtesy to flash other drivers in at a safe distance , not pull over till yer flashed in & just drop a bit of speed if another driver has a speed advantage no matter how slight it maybe

Like the other have said I knock it off a few k’s let them pass and continue on my merry way don’t understand people who just cruise along for miles !

bald bloke:
Yes I’ll take a click or two off as long as there’s nothing behind I hate a truck running along side me it spoils the view out me drivers side window.

+1

I sometimes accidentally engage the warp drive when rear of trailer is near cab, the button is right next to cancel button for cc!

Yes, because otherwise you’ll flash them in, and they’ll sit right in your face for too long, as they are often going barely faster than me on the 56 limiter.
I like to open up a new “idiot space” at the earliest opportunity, although there’s often an idiot in a 4x4 who’ll pull straight into it the moment I make one. :imp:

Yep, I set cc two clicks lower than max. So increase for overtake, so as to not sit forever in middle lane.

Snarley:
Yep, I set cc two clicks lower than max. So increase for overtake, so as to not sit forever in middle lane.

proper driver

Stanley Mitchell:

bazstan009:

+2

I’m restricted to 49.5mph anyway so neither back off nor get chance to overtake!

Supermarket distribution ay!

dbox87:
I’m restricted to 49.5mph anyway so neither back off nor get chance to overtake!

Supermarket distribution ay!

Tosco ■■?

Just been reading on another website, that Merc told Tosco that 52 is the best for their kit`s fuel consumption, NOT 49.5, good old Tosco, always know better…

Are you agency, did you get knocked on the head for today`s early shift ?

hiya,
Ah’ cruise control 2 foot of broom handle in my day.
thanks harry, long retired.

I’m of the opinion that in modern trucks, it takes 2 to conduct overtaking manoeuvres.

I back off to let people pass as long as there is nothing right behind me. If there is someone right behind then I haven’t got much choice.

Don’t expect anyone to do it to you in return though, a lot of very tedious people out there driving these things.

Barely flashed anyone in for months, because everybody would rather have a good go at taking the bumper off. Especially driving at night on an empty motorway, what is the hurry to get back across?

EastAnglianTrucker:

Stanley Mitchell:

bazstan009:

+2

+3