Do you throttle back when being overtaken?

i wonder if the difference between days and nights plays a part aswell. i.e more pressure on days.
i did days for years, and always noticed it to be more of a problem with the elephant racing, (or is it just volume?)
i’ll only work nights now, obviousy alot less traffic which is great, but i do notice that more drivers seem to back off abit at night to aid in passing moves.

the ones that get me the most, (had it last night) are the ones that can’t sit at one speed, this guy was floating around 50-53, following his mate, both in tarmac tippers. i caught them easily and decided to pass, i’d just got level with the cab of the second tipper, when bang, his foot finds the floor and he is now at 56 matching my speed. its clear he is not going to ease up anymore, even after a friendly toot from me :unamused: , so now i’m hung out to dry and a few cars behind me waiting to get by.

i’m not going to play this idiots game, so indicate left, ease off the throttle and drop back in behind numbnuts.
as the 4/5 cars pass, 2 of them get on the horn and give me a load of grief :unamused:
brains and coconuts.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Ah’ cruise control 2 foot of broom handle in my day.
thanks harry, long retired.

:smiley:
I had one them pre electronic cruise controls, didnt always dissengauge to quick! :astonished:

chilistrucker:
i wonder if the difference between days and nights plays a part aswell. i.e more pressure on days.
i did days for years, and always noticed it to be more of a problem with the elephant racing, (or is it just volume?)
i’ll only work nights now, obviousy alot less traffic which is great, but i do notice that more drivers seem to back off abit at night to aid in passing moves.

the ones that get me the most, (had it last night) are the ones that can’t sit at one speed, this guy was floating around 50-53, following his mate, both in tarmac tippers. i caught them easily and decided to pass, i’d just got level with the cab of the second tipper, when bang, his foot finds the floor and he is now at 56 matching my speed. its clear he is not going to ease up anymore, even after a friendly toot from me :unamused: , so now i’m hung out to dry and a few cars behind me waiting to get by.

i’m not going to play this idiots game, so indicate left, ease off the throttle and drop back in behind numbnuts.
as the 4/5 cars pass, 2 of them get on the horn and give me a load of grief :unamused:
brains and coconuts.

A parliament of Ravens…
A pride of lions…
A ■■■■■■ of tippers…

Beware of our new 3663 scanias they are all restricted to 49mph and de tuned for optimum fuel efficiency and to help save the planet.

We won’t be overtaking anything  well only Tosco trucks 
So definitely won’t need to slow to let another truck past as if I did I would stop.
However if I dare go in the right lane… Please knock it back 5 clicks to give me a chance !!

bazstan009:

harry_gill:
hiya,
Ah’ cruise control 2 foot of broom handle in my day.
thanks harry, long retired.

:smiley:
I had one them pre electronic cruise controls, didnt always dissengauge to quick! :astonished:

Yep I had both Renault and scania with hand throttle cruise haha. Scary when you’d done 4 hours driving then come to a peage forgetting it was on! :open_mouth::shock:

What makes my ■■■■ itch is when seeing a heavy heading out of a MSA (Hilton Pk (for this example) & Warwick sb when i’m heading back at night) so, being the pro that i am ( :smiley: ), I tend to move out into lane 2 if possible (always try and judge where they will be/we will meet on the exit slip, no point in both of us having to back off,especially those that are trying to enter the carriageway, I like to keep things tickling along!!) and before ya know it, numpty bollox in his V8 is up the nearside and either (a) sits there until he peels off on the M5, leaving me stranded, with a few speed-freaks up me jacksy giving it the beams, or just flies past, again up the nearside. Got caught out like that one night when passing Hilton park…3 on their way out, i move over and all 3 took me up the inside…obviously had a ferry/train to catch somewhere! I do have another example of said knob-heads, but i’ll keep that that one for the time being!!

This is no really about easing back but it is about limiters yesterday northbound on the M74 as I went past Canderside Toll in the car I passed an Iveco Strallis and rolls on down the hill towards Hamilton now at 70 I had put a fair distance between the Strallis and me on looking in the mirror I notice he is gaining on me and I ended up at a steady 75 and he was rolling steadily at that till we hit the flat and he quickly dropped back being retired for a while now and having read on hear about them checking card’s and printout’s for speed on the overrun I wondered if this was normal practice given speed camera’s and unmarked police vehicles.
Eddie.

I tend to back off if someone is struggling to pass, more so on a d/c than a three lane m/way (don’t wanna traveller in a van brake checking me!)

However I lose count of the number of times when someone following me has obviously seen me pull away from them up a hill but they then sit behind me for miles on the flat before starting their next attempt as we climb the next hill.

I do then feel kind of “obliged” to back off and let them pass, dunno why I bother though 'cos they never do it for me, and very rarely aknowledge my flash as though I’m the one in the wrong.

I wait until the overtaking truck is level with me, then I knock the cruise off for 5 secs. Stops the bellends from taking your nose off when they pull in :slight_smile:

Actrosman:
no point in both of us having to back off,especially those that are trying to enter the carriageway,

I have a “rule” for this situation, I never move over :exclamation: ,
if the truck/car joining the carriageway is ahead of me, I will back off and let the truck/car join the carriageway.
If I am ahead of the truck/car, they have to back off :slight_smile:

Works for me

LIKE BEING ON THE M6 AT 3AM ,WACKY RACES ,if they wanna pass then let them go,we all know there,s plenty of donuts out there.for the sake of hitting - button for 10secs. :laughing: let em go…

erfguy:
This is no really about easing back but it is about limiters yesterday northbound on the M74 as I went past Canderside Toll in the car I passed an Iveco Strallis and rolls on down the hill towards Hamilton now at 70 I had put a fair distance between the Strallis and me on looking in the mirror I notice he is gaining on me and I ended up at a steady 75 and he was rolling steadily at that till we hit the flat and he quickly dropped back being retired for a while now and having read on hear about them checking card’s and printout’s for speed on the overrun I wondered if this was normal practice given speed camera’s and unmarked police vehicles.
Eddie.

Speeding is not normal practise and the Iveco driver may not have “got away” with it. If he has a bump VOSA will check his track record and get the Judge to throw the book at him.

LIKE BEING ON THE M6 AT 3AM ,WACKY RACES ,if they wanna pass then let them go,we all know there,s plenty of donuts out there.for the sake of hitting - button for 10secs. :laughing: let em go…

Essexboy:
Beware of our new 3663 Scanias they are all restricted to 49mph and de tuned for optimum fuel efficiency and to help save the planet.

They cause accidents and should be banned.

Dieseldoforme:

Essexboy:
Beware of our new 3663 Scanias they are all restricted to 49mph and de tuned for optimum fuel efficiency and to help save the planet.

They cause accidents and should be banned.

■■? In what way do they cause accidents?

Essexboy beat me to it!

Anybody that has an accident because of a truck travelling 1mph under the limit on a d/c or 11mph under the limit on a m/way needs their licence taking off them and then they need to be publicly birched!

the maoster:
Essexboy beat me to it!

Anybody that has an accident because of a truck travelling 1mph under the limit on a d/c or 11mph under the limit on a m/way needs their licence taking off them and then they need to be publicly birched!

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

Rarely. If they want to pass they can pass in their own pace! Also never use cruise control :unamused:

I run 3 clicks below max most of the time, rare that I get overtaken anyhow :grimacing: , but when I do I just knock another couple of clicks off, nice and simple & keeps the stress’o’meter low. Proper planning is key though to an overtake and having an extra 3k in the bank certainly helps :wink:

Essexboy:
Beware of our new 3663 scanias they are all restricted to 49mph and de tuned for optimum fuel efficiency and to help save the planet.

I’ve often wondered why management do this.

The truck manufacturer spends millions on engine development and making it efficient at a certain speed road- and engine speed and yet management come along and think they know how to get more efficiency by screwing the motor down - despite having no experience in the matter.

Our trucks are at 52mph and change down at the slightest sniff of an incline, so I shouldn’t have to slow down.

i will back off a couple of clicks to get them past if they are strugling :wink:

but it ultimatley depends on what mood im in and how long they’ve been rubbing my bumper