A75 speed merchants

Was on the A75 during the week , left Stranraer about 6 :30 am to head for
Dumfries , as you folks will know it is quite narrow in some places as the near
side ditch indicates !

I was running about 45(give or take a few ) mph in an artic with a 40 foot fridge trailer and was overtaken
by another artic :frowning: a bit later an artic fully loaded with logs say 14 foot high came out
behind me to have a go :frowning:

This is obviously a very busy road taking traffic from Stranraer & Cairnryan to the south
I reckon quite a few of these guys are running flat out !

I know this has been discussed recently on another thread but I came up behind a Sainsbury’s
truck doing 40 he did not stand a chance, (no I did not overtake him he pulled into a laybay )

:wink:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52546&start=60

bubsy06:
:wink:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52546&start=60

Thanks busby06 , I did a search for A75 and nothing came up , must be
doing the search wrong , but having read the thread the term ’ flat to the mat ’
rings true :wink:

glencarron:
Was on the A75 during the week , left Stranraer about 6 :30 am to head for
Dumfries , as you folks will know it is quite narrow in some places as the near
side ditch indicates !

I was running about 45(give or take a few ) mph in an artic with a 40 foot fridge trailer and was overtaken
by another artic :frowning: a bit later an artic fully loaded with logs say 14 foot high came out

This is obviously a very busy road taking traffic from Stranraer & Cairnryan to the south

I know this has been discussed recently on another thread but I came up behind a Sainsbury’s
truck doing 40 he did not stand a chance, (no I did not overtake him he pulled into a laybay )

I used that road in 1972/3 when travelling to Ireland, it was lethal then.

glencarron:
I was running about 45(give or take a few ) mph in an artic with a 40 foot fridge trailer and was overtaken by another artic :frowning: a bit later an artic fully loaded with logs say 14 foot high came out

should not be dawdling then :unamused:

glencarron:

nothing has changed over the years then :laughing: :laughing:

First time around the block? The A75 is NOT a narrow road nowadays. If you’re terrified every time another truck overtakes you because you’re doing 45 mph then you really shouldn’t be on any road, let alone the A75.

I can’t wait for your next instalment of ‘A75 speed merchants’ when you experience the boat queue.

It was in the local paper on Fri. An irish lorry driver aged 67 was jailed for 8 months and licence taken of him for 10 yrs. Charged with careless and dangerous driving had been caught overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic,speeding, and less than 9hrs rest. That might get the message through to a few of the
Pedal To The Metal Brigade.
Eddie.

erfguy:
It was in the local paper on Fri. An irish lorry driver aged 67 was jailed for 8 months and licence taken of him for 10 yrs. Charged with careless and dangerous driving had been caught overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic,speeding, and less than 9hrs rest. That might get the message through to a few of the
Eddie.

It will take more than that to slow them down. Remember they have a different set of rules to the rest of the UK.

erfguy:
Eddie.

No messing there

maurice:
First time around the block? The A75 is NOT a narrow road nowadays. If you’re terrified every time another truck overtakes you because you’re doing 45 mph then you really shouldn’t be on any road, let alone the A75.

I can’t wait for your next instalment of ‘A75 speed merchants’ when you experience the boat queue.

So why do they all go over like ninepins on the A75 with regularity Maurice, is it because they’re all pensioners?

I run the 75 gauntlet twice a night and not had too many problems. I just sit at 43 and let them get on with it…if you want to go faster…on you go…I’m not stopping you.

Mike-C:

maurice:

So why do they all go over like ninepins on the A75 with regularity Maurice, is it because they’re all pensioners?

The majority of guys who ran off the road did so at night due to fatigue, very few of the accidents had anything to do with speed or the width of the road. It’s nowhere near as common in recent years because excessive hours just doesn’t happen nowadays.

How long until some jobsworth mentions truck speed limits on s/c roads. :smiley:

Rob K:
How long until some jobsworth mentions truck speed limits on s/c roads. :smiley:

Aaah, now you come to mention it. :wink:

No idea why being overtaken warrants a thread. :confused: Concentrate on your own driving and let others get on with it.

The A75 does run best when drivers don’t pi55 flap about doing 40 :unamused:

The wood lorry will have been local. If you think that was ‘‘bad’’ try when the ferry kicks out. :laughing:

For the amount of traffic and heavy freight which passes on this road day and night accidents in reality are few and far between.

waddy640:
I used that road in 1972/3 when travelling to Ireland, it was lethal then.

I have similar experiences in 1976 :laughing:

Wasn’t there a bet running as last one in bought the teas in Hilton Park or Wolverhampton BP :unamused:

in the gatehouse area at 3am i meet the ferry convoy nose t tail nobody is doing 40mph. :smiley:
all on the limiter :stuck_out_tongue: .it depends what night it is i can meet 30/40 trucks within 5 miles i do a drop at skyburn cabin.on a wet/windy night my van gets rocked all over the place.2 weeks ago near the creamery at n/stewart / 4am strait bit of road artic in the field on its side.all emercency services there.
best bet he fell asleep heading for the ferry

ajt:
No idea why being overtaken warrants a thread. :confused: Concentrate on your own driving and let others get on with it.

The A75 does run best when drivers don’t pi55 flap about doing 40 :unamused:

The wood lorry will have been local. If you think that was ‘‘bad’’ try when the ferry kicks out. :laughing:

For the amount of traffic and heavy freight which passes on this road day and night accidents in reality are few and far between.

To risky doing 55 on that road as theres always camera van, plod and vosa about. I use to go down to the cheese factory alot in stranraer for tdg and it wasnt in my interest to speed at 55. I was on agency at the time and to break speed limits meant doing myself out of pay so 40 it was.

erfguy:
Eddie.

Good!!
got what he deserved,67 years of age and driving like a pric.! what was he trying to prove at his age?,he should have known better.

Speed itself isn’t the problem on that road and it should be dualed the whole way anyhow. The problem is ■■■■ poor driving whether its the paddies or the timber boys, huge difference between being able to ‘handle’ a truck and being able to drive it safely on the road. Have to admit to thinking ‘well that one less c’nt’ when I see one of them off the road, trouble is they quite often take some other poor sods with them. The authorities should stop going after the drivers so much and really hammer the operators.