Digi card print offs

Hi anybody, Just a quick question, Iv’e never downloaded my digi card as my first company never had the equipment to download it, They had old trucks, Iv’e used my digi card 17times over the last 6 months, When I download my card on friday will my company get all the data from other trucks iv’e used or just the last 28 days, Which will only be 2 truck. Hope this made sense.

Thanks.

smudge832:
Hi anybody, Just a quick question, Iv’e never downloaded my digi card as my first company never had the equipment to download it, They had old trucks, Iv’e used my digi card 17times over the last 6 months, When I download my card on friday will my company get all the data from other trucks iv’e used or just the last 28 days, Which will only be 2 truck. Hope this made sense.

Thanks.

All the data on the driver card will be downloaded and as you’ve only used the card 17 times that will be all the records since you first used the card.

The data remains on the driver card until the card memory chip becomes full and the the data is then overwritten with the oldest records being overwritten first.

Although the driver card is designed to hold at-least 28 days worth of records I would say that generally a driver card can be expected to hold at-least 150 days of records and it’s quite likely to be in excess of 180 days of records.

However that would in no way excuse your old company for failing to download the card data if they were to get a visit from VOSA :wink:

In 5 years of using digi, i’ve never entered the ‘country’ thing.
I know it ‘asks’ , but it still works fine if I don’t.

Perhaps someone could explain the need for this,either by regulation or recommendation.

206doorman:

How do you use the driver card without inputting the country both when you insert the card and when you take it out :confused:

When the country option comes on screen you press “OK” to accept it, as far as I’m aware if you just leave the tachograph when you put the card in it will accept the displayed country, so if it’s set incorrectly you could be putting another country for the start or finish place.

Either way you have entered the country, if not by pressing “OK” by accepting the default.

tachograph:

206doorman:

How do you use the driver card without inputting the country both when you insert the card and when you take it out :confused:

When the country option comes on screen you press “OK” to accept it, as far as I’m aware if you just leave the tachograph when you put the card in it will accept the displayed country, so if it’s set incorrectly you could be putting another country for the start or finish place.

Either way you have entered the country, if not by pressing “OK” by accepting the default.

Thanks Tach,
I’ve just checked the display and it’s defaulted to UK. Can I assume then,that I don’t need to
do any entering?

No need to worry bout VOSA doing the check, The company I worked for went into liquidation two weeks ago that,s why I got new job, Last week I did 4days work for a company before starting new full time job, I left my Digi card in the truck last Tuesday as I was told nobody would go in the truck so I thought I’d leave it in on rest, Turn up next morning the truck had been moved ( only bout 2meters, My digi card still in the left on other work all night, then I went and did that day and night out, I wasn’t sure what I should off done so just drove. Never mind.

206doorman:
I’ve just checked the display and it’s defaulted to UK. Can I assume then,that I don’t need to
do any entering?

If you don’t need to do any manual entries and you’re the only one who uses the vehicle you should be fine.

If you’re not the only one who uses the vehicle I would always check that it’s still set on UK even if for any reason you don’t need to do manual entries.

I’ve driven for companies that never leave the UK and found the tachograph set to other countries, why anyone would change it for no reason is anyones guess but … :unamused:

smudge832:
No need to worry bout VOSA doing the check, The company I worked for went into liquidation two weeks ago that,s why I got new job, Last week I did 4days work for a company before starting new full time job, I left my Digi card in the truck last Tuesday as I was told nobody would go in the truck so I thought I’d leave it in on rest, Turn up next morning the truck had been moved ( only bout 2meters, My digi card still in the left on other work all night, then I went and did that day and night out, I wasn’t sure what I should off done so just drove. Never mind.

Sorry to hear that :frowning: , still at-least you got another job :wink:

If I was you I would do 2 printouts for either Tuesday or Wednesday and write an explanation of what happened on both of them, hand one in when your card is downloaded and keep one with you in case you get stopped, with the written explanation on a printout you should be OK :wink:

Cheers Tach.
Affirm all you said…I tend to keep things simple…card in Mon morning,out Fri night,and the only
button I use is ‘bed’.

[ but i’ll often pop into the display to check,say,total driving hours that day]

Can’t remember the last time I did a print-out…yonks ago!

My first CPC course the other week, guy say its legal to do as many print outs as you like, and you don’t have to keep them, they are only classed as a legal document and must be retained as soon as you sign them should you realise you have infringed.

Now, my second course a couple of weeks later, same training company, different guy, he says you have to retain all print outs and hand them in after 28 days…

Who’s lying?

thelorryist:
My first CPC course the other week, guy say its legal to do as many print outs as you like, and you don’t have to keep them, they are only classed as a legal document and must be retained as soon as you sign them should you realise you have infringed.

Now, my second course a couple of weeks later, same training company, different guy, he says you have to retain all print outs and hand them in after 28 days…

Who’s lying?

You only need to do a printout if for any reason you need to do a manual entry or your card is faulty/lost/stolen, obviously those printouts need to be kept until they’re handed in after 28 days.

Apart from that you can do as many or as few printouts as you like and bin them or decorate your cab with them, there’s no legal requirement to keep printouts unless they’re required for what I’ve mentioned above.

The second trainer was wrong or misunderstood, but whether or not he was actually lying on a DCPC course, I would hope not :laughing: :wink:

tachograph:

thelorryist:

Who’s lying?

You only need to do a printout if for any reason you need to do a manual entry or your card is faulty/lost/stolen, obviously those printouts need to be kept until they’re handed in after 28 days.

Apart from that you can do as many or as few printouts as you like and bin them or decorate your cab with them, there’s no legal requirement to keep printouts unless they’re required for what I’ve mentioned above.

The second trainer was wrong but whether or not he was actually lying on a DCPC course, I would hope not :laughing: :wink:

To be honest I think he had been primed by the gaffer, he wouldnt go into a discussion over POA. there has been uproar over it and drivers refusing to use it… The first trainer was on our side the second guy seemed to have been briefed into what he can and cannot say

Thank you for that, I knew I could print as many as I liked…

thelorryist:

Who’s lying?

If there is a valid reason for doing a print-out,then keep it.
As I said above, I haven’t done a print-out for some 6-8 months,coz i’ve had no reason to.

thelorryist:

Who’s lying?

Nobody is lying, you can make a printout every 30 minutes if you want, there is no need to though. :laughing:

As mentioned, unless you have lost your card, got a faulty card or utilised article 12 because of an emergency. If you do use it for any of those reasons the completed printout must be returned to the operator after 29 calendar days

206doorman:
Affirm all you said…I tend to keep things simple…card in Mon morning,out Fri night,and the only
button I use is ‘bed’.

This does change things a bit I’m afraid, if you’re leaving the card in all week you should enter the start country at the beginning of every shift and enter the end shift country at the end of every shift.

Failure to enter the start and end countries can result in a £30 fixed penalty.

Page 35 - Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs

Page 140 - Vehicle and Operator Services Agency Enforcement Sanctions Policy

Hi guys after a little help, a couple Fridays ago I went over my 9hr driving limit by 19mins, I’d used all my 10hrs and was only 10miles away from my yard and needed a 45hr rest. I forgot to do my printout and now need to hand one in to traffic office, Was hoping someone could explain how I do a print out for that Friday I think It was the 15th March thankyou.

smudge832:
Hi guys after a little help, a couple Fridays ago I went over my 9hr driving limit by 19mins, I’d used all my 10hrs and was only 10miles away from my yard and needed a 45hr rest. I forgot to do my printout and now need to hand one in to traffic office, Was hoping someone could explain how I do a print out for that Friday I think It was the 15th March thankyou.

Go into the menu to the section for 24 hour printouts, use the arrows to scroll back to the 15th March, or whatever day you want, and press OK. Job done.

Theres options in the menu to choose printout
vehicle and driver when you get to driver printout
the default will be today,just scroll back to relevent day

ok just want to put something straight, I haven’t been using a digi card for very long and basically was doing a print off at the end of every shift to keep as my records, supervisor has moaned to me about the cost of the paper and that I should only do print offs when I need to make a manual entry or told to by someone (vosa etc) and that if I get stopped all the information that vosa need is on the card.

Just wondering if this is true and I don’t need any records apart from what is stored on the card.

hi,
you only need to print off from a digi card on these occasions.
(1) when you are waiting for a replacement from DVLA, ie damaged, lost, etc.
(2) when pulled in by VOSA, Police etc and they require a print out.

Manual entries can be carried out using the digi tacho,when card is inserted in tacho. no need to do a printout.
You need to make sure that you have at least one spare roll as well as the one in the tachograph so that you have enough paper to print off if you get asked to produce a printout.Its a legal requirement.
You dont need to make paper records as the card stores all the information.

Hope that helps