Scania V8 fuel consumption?

What sort of fuel consumption should you expect from a Scania 164 580?

The reason I ask is the other week I was on the train with several of those chaps from Romantiek BVBA on a Friday afternoon and they were off to Belgium to fill up their tanks with diesel.
One chap had a V8 Scanny with tanks to hold 1,400 odd litres.
The strange thing is,when I was heading back to the UK on the following Monday midday,there he was again in Calais (being checked by HMCE) again unit only,and obviously just returning from another trip to the fuel pumps.

So I was just wondering where he had been over the weekend to use so much fuel? Surely there must be another explanation■■?

Answers on a postcard please to HMCE…

They syphon it out into their other wagons.

He will not have used 1400 litres in a weekend so it seems likely that he has pumped it out.

Whether this is legal or not is a grey area. HMCE hold that it is not legal to transfer fuel from one vehicle to another. The eu holds that it is legal, since the eu is, for trade purposes, all one country.

It would probably not be illegal to pump the fuel into a storage tank for use in the same vehicle at a later date though,

Vince

they are not the only company doing that though, i regularly talk to drivers of solo units who do 2 trips in the same day with the same truck, they all claim that they are under instruction to syphon the fuel into the storage tank when they get back.
they use the same trucks every weekend, the ones with the biggest fuel carrying capacity.
i would have a problem with doing this, i wouldn’t mind getting the truck fuelled up but i wouldn’t want to be the one syphoning it out into the storage tank, fetching the fuel is not illegal, syphoning it out and into a storage tank could be.