Longer hours again [Several Topics Merged]

As shown below, directly from the secretary of state for transport, drivers hours are to be temporarily extended again, although so far no details of what they will be extended to, or how long the extension will last.
Will add details if/when they are announced

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

We’re aware of a shortage of HGV drivers, so I’m announcing a temp extension of drivers’ hours rules from Mon 12 July, giving flexibility to drivers & operators to make slightly longer journeys. We’ve ramped up the number of driving tests available & will consider other measures.

twitter.com/grantshapps/status/ … 8730245120

More hours less safety?

That made me a bit hot under the collar :smiley:

lorry-driver.com/2021/07/dri … e.html?m=1

Balls to that I’ll stick to the normal rules thanks.

A perfect time for drivers to say “shove your extra hours where the sun don’t shine”, but no the heroes will bend over and do as they are told.

This will be especially galling to any drivers who’ve been fined for tacho infringements over recent weeks. All drivers should stick to the usual rules, if it wasn’t safe last week it isn’t safe this week.

This is not unlike one of the government’s “solutions” to the debt incurred by the lockdowns and furlough scheme, which was to have shops open for longer on Sundays.

Exploiting certain sectors of the workforce for the benefit of other sectors is not the kind of response we should tolerate from government.
“All workers are equal, but some are more equal than others…” :unamused:

Get ready for the “cab rats” and cowboys who work max hours every week and will willingly do the extra hours because they like living to work,or frightened they will lose their job if they say “up yours”

What a brilliant idea, lets just relax the drivers hours so that we can do the work of two drivers. I hope he has given thought to weekend working too. We could maybe even get away with 7 days a week along with working 15 hours per day. Perhaps he thinks we are sat in autonomous vehicles already so there is no danger.

switchlogic:
That made me a bit hot under the collar :smiley:

lorry-driver.com/2021/07/dri … e.html?m=1

Agree with both of the videos on your site Luke ,what i would also add is that lots of hgv drivers quit because of the training especially in reversing artics is not fit for purpose, none of the training center’s offer proper real life scenario’s.Then when people get the two year B.S they wait about and struggle to pass assessments, it’s absolute nonsense.
Force NDC RDC to stop using trailers for temporary storage holding drivers up,employ more warehouse staff to empty trucks etc etc,it is not just drivers in short supply! It is decent brains running the business’s, they should remove the bean counting accountants to start with…
Lot’s needs to be done before upping hours

As out of…

Touch with the problem as is possible.

Mr Shapps could widdle into the wind and genuinely be confused as to why his knees were wet.

If anyone actually does this they should be made to tell each of their family members that they have no spine or balls

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

There has to be another way. Allow lorries in bus lanes, pass law to give precedence to lorries. Put a legal limit on how long drivers should wait to be tipped, with fines automatically applied or give the driver the option of calling the police if he/she has been waiting longer than 3 hours.

lolipop:
Get ready for the “cab rats” and cowboys who work max hours every week and will willingly do the extra hours because they like living to work,or frightened they will lose their job if they say “up yours”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bin the CPC or reduce it to one day not 35 hours of gibberish patronizing guff
I think this would increase hgv drivers straight away with the recent rate rises…

The temporary relaxation of the rules will mean HGV drivers will be legally allowed to drive for an additional one hour per day, from nine to 10 hours. It will also allow drivers to undertake two eleven hour shifts per week.

The relaxation which comes into force on Monday (12 July) will initially run for four weeks until 8 August.

“We’re temporarily extending drivers’ hours rules from Monday 12 July to allow HGV drivers to make slightly longer journeys where necessary, as we’re aware of a current shortage of drivers,” said minister for transport Charlotte Vere.(who won’t be working extra).

“Driver safety must not be compromised and operators must notify DfT if this relaxation is used.”

Still, keep putting the Great back into Britain Chaps / Chapettes . Boris loves you. Use plenty of lube.

So lemme see… There’s only a shortage of drivers willing to work 60-84 hours per week for “not enough to pay a modern mortgage on an average priced 3-bedroomed semi, AND pay the 4xUtility bills AND put food on the table”…

So he thinks increasing the hours still further - will cause more drivers to go “Hey! I can now work 100+ hours per week! Yippee! Think of my bottom line!”

Total Idiot.

For once, I find myself totally agreeing with Skywalker, with me averting my eyes as to all that EU paraphanilia in the background that otherwise makes his videos hard to watch…

Zac_A:
This will be especially galling to any drivers who’ve been fined for tacho infringements over recent weeks. All drivers should stick to the usual rules, if it wasn’t safe last week it isn’t safe this week.

This is not unlike one of the government’s “solutions” to the debt incurred by the lockdowns and furlough scheme, which was to have shops open for longer on Sundays.

Exploiting certain sectors of the workforce for the benefit of other sectors is not the kind of response we should tolerate from government.
“All workers are equal, but some are more equal than others…” :unamused:

I got let go last year for “Breaking the rules” - which had already been relaxed by that point in Sediq Khan’s London…

“Rules for thee” I guess…

like last time , if I was working , ran out of hours / driving time on a Friday & his extra hours got me home I’d be more that thankful for the relaxation of hours , same as when they did it before
I just want to get home whatever , good luck to the ones with principles who will sit in a lay-by for 11 hrs on a Friday night instead of using the relaxation in rules ,but getting home is more important to me than principals

Winseer:
So lemme see… There’s only a shortage of drivers willing to work 60-84 hours per week for “not enough to pay a modern mortgage on an average priced 3-bedroomed semi, AND pay the 4xUtility bills AND put food on the table”…

So he thinks increasing the hours still further - will cause more drivers to go “Hey! I can now work 100+ hours per week! Yippee! Think of my bottom line!”

Total Idiot.

For once, I find myself totally agreeing with Skywalker, with me averting my eyes as to all that EU paraphanilia in the background that otherwise makes his videos hard to watch…

Er hang on a second… You have been belly-aching for YEARS on this platform about ONLY being able to work 15 hours a day, forcing you to have to work for ‘any 5 from 7’ companies with less daily hours to get the income you need. If you’re now able to work 16-24 hours per day then surely you should be celebrating this awesomeness as it would mean you’d only have to work 2 days a week?

Make your chuffin mind up. And don’t bother responding with your usual 324 page diatribe blaming Bojo, Cameron, Blair, Thatcher, Churchill, Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Brexit. :unamused:

It’s something about the weekly rest,but I can’t find much info on it…