Essential Cargo

Just heard on BBC News that Ireland have restricted the ferries to only carry essential cargo from UK to Ireland ,
Presume this to be only food stuffs and medical supplies ,
Wonder will this be enforced or will they let any cargo through
France just announced travel ban but no word on cargo , anyone any idea will France do the same as Ireland and will it be enforced as meant to be traveling accross the pond with non essential between xmas day and new years day

In a rapidly evolving situation, where the known parameters are changing constantly, and there is a strong safety critical element, involving security, safety, and notwithstanding the political overtones commensurate in the decision making process, it may be a trifle premature to respond with any degree of certitude to the above question.

Franglais:
In a rapidly evolving situation, where the known parameters are changing constantly, and there is a strong safety critical element, involving security, safety, and notwithstanding the political overtones commensurate in the decision making process, it may be a trifle premature to respond with any degree of certitude to the above question.

What a Sir Humphrey, Wafflenuts, reply… “yes minister”

France Has just banned All accompanied freight from the UK for 48 hours.

You have to feel sorry for the poor sods tipping tomorrow in the UK then reloading to get home for Christmas…what a mess.

biggriffin:

Franglais:

What a Sir Humphrey, Wafflenuts, reply… “yes minister”

(Bows, graciously)
Thank You

maga:

You have to feel sorry for the poor sods tipping tomorrow in the UK then reloading to get home for Christmas…what a mess.

Get ready for more of this, and Bat-flu had nothing to do with it, it’s an excuse to punish us for Brexit…

maga:

In the previous lockdown I believe (I will stand correction) that French residents could return home, subject to isolation rules etc, but foreigners couldnt enter without cause. So, a French driver would be allowed home again. It is difficult for a country to exclude its own citizens of course.

We were carrying all sorts of stuff in last lockdown. Only essential factories etc were open. So, if a factory was open to receive goods then they were essential goods.

biggriffin:
Get ready for more of this, and Bat-flu had nothing to do with it, it’s an excuse to punish us for Brexit…

Almost correct.
It is actually part of a plan to keep RobRoy out of the pub for a few weeks.
Tim Martin has threatened to blow the gaff on it, worried about his drop in profits, but Mrs Roy is laying down the law about this, and the whole world is obeying her…

maga:

And those drivers are unlikely to have come into contact with anyone with Covid as opposed to French nationals living in London, during the last lockdown the French didn’t seem to bother freight traffic at all, with most of the border checkpoints I came across only manned during ‘office hours’

The Covid infected Continent applying laughable double standards as usual.
Don’t remember us applying the same rule to Euroland when Spain and Italy were dropping like flies.While it’s clear that the new scare has arrived here from the Continent via Kent.
No doubt free movement for ‘refugees’ from the Med coast to the Channel will be maintained.

biggriffin:

Look on the bright side it will mostly punish the East Euro transport industry.
If anything we need a travel ban put on France might as well make it all of the EU.Also no use of our side of the Channel for EU bound shipping.Only Felixstowe bound freight allowed.
worldometers.info/coronaviru … ry/france/

Mazzer2:

maga:

And those drivers are unlikely to have come into contact with anyone with Covid as opposed to French nationals living in London, during the last lockdown the French didn’t seem to bother freight traffic at all, with most of the border checkpoints I came across only manned during ‘office hours’

Obviously having borders and border regulations matters when it suits them.

Franglais:

maga:

In the previous lockdown I believe (I will stand correction) that French residents could return home, subject to isolation rules etc, but foreigners couldnt enter without cause. So, a French driver would be allowed home again. It is difficult for a country to exclude its own citizens of course.

We were carrying all sorts of stuff in last lockdown. Only essential factories etc were open. So, if a factory was open to receive goods then they were essential goods.

Don’t remember the Channel Tunnel or ferries let alone illegal immigrants from the Channel transit camps being stopped two weeks ago to keep continental covid out of the UK.
This is the result.
Or Ireland banning travel and freight from the continent via its direct French ferry links.
So why the double standards.
dailysabah.com/world/europe/ … n-24-hours
This is more like testing the EU’s ability to manage without using the Ireland-Continent UK land bridge.

EU Hypocrites.
bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51857462

were doomed i tell you, doomed !!

Mais non Oui weel leeft zee bon only eef you let fronce haf all zee feesh

So what we’re seeing is individual countries within the EU exercising their own right to control their own borders?

Almost in a sovereign manner?

Who would have thought… :open_mouth:

I missed a trick when i didn’t buy the Kent franchise for the Moggs Boggs travelling services. The verges of Kent really will become the toilet of Kent.

OwenMoney:
I missed a trick when i didn’t buy the Kent franchise for the Moggs Boggs travelling services. The verges of Kent really will become the toilet of Kent.

You mean none of them are in place? With under two weeks to go? Well I never seen that one coming at all :open_mouth:

Next you’ll be telling me we’ve not signed “the easiest trade deal in history” :open_mouth:

Good Morning Britain tv reporter was live in Dover port this morning, saying the delays could last for more two days and hauliers will have to sleep in their cabs for two days , really, they don’t know drivers live in them all year round then !
As lorries were seen entering the port entrance, he said they will be looking to park up at lorry parks , good luck with that one you ignorant journalist , Dover and Ashford truck stop will be no chance .
Oddly enough, he never mentioned the Kent transit tax and wheel clamping at unofficial sites .