Interesting call on LBC regarding Brexit today

So I was listening to LBC earlier today and a “prominent” Dover based freight forwarder called in to give his take on Brexit.

After a little bit of waffle he said something that peaked my interest. According to him, the majority of LT, RO, H and PL based hauliers that he deals with have indicated they no will no longer take on work bound for the UK after Brexit. The reasoning behind this he said; “they can’t afford to have their vehicles hanging around waiting for all of the extra checks to be completed”. I may have mis heard him but I am positive he said that he estimates that around 90% of them just won’t bother anymore.

Does this mean dover is going to be swamped with unaccompanied trailers? Are UK hauliers going to end up doing the ‘final mile’ work on these UK bound loads?

Our esteemed freight forwarder seemed to believe that there will huge gaps on the shelves of our supermarkets seeing as the majority of foreign trucks are indeed bringing in food. What do you lot make of it?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Time to buy myself a tractor unit and get down to Dover!

msgyorkie:
Time to buy myself a tractor unit and get down to Dover!

Me too!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

talknonsense:
Does this mean dover is going to be swamped with unaccompanied trailers? Are UK hauliers going to end up doing the ‘final mile’ work on these UK bound loads?

Our esteemed freight forwarder seemed to believe that there will huge gaps on the shelves of our supermarkets seeing as the majority of foreign trucks are indeed bringing in food. What do you lot make of it?

It’s what I was saying would happen the day we voted to leave, that there would be a massive increase in unaccompanied trailers back to how it used to be in the 90s and before with the opportunity once again for a driver to buy a tractor unit and make a good go of it.

How long to load or unload a ferry of unaccompanied vs a ferry of trucks with drivers? Apart from the actual time taken costing money, having the ferries berthed for longer would mean more ferries needed as each would make fewer crossings. Is there enough land in Dover to park trailers while they are being cleared?
Can’t see it happening.
If loads take longer to move my guess is they will simply increase rates. No real increase in profits for hauliers as the work takes longer, but extra cost for those buying the goods…anyone who eats food pretty much.
Maybe a UK customs demurrage clause written into contract?
If it takes longer to move stuff, costs will rise for all goods. Whether it’s food or whatever we are buying we will pay more for it. If it’s stuff we are selling, then the customer in EU will either pay more, or try to source stuff with quicker, easier, delivery so disadvantaging our producers.
Looks a bad deal to me. Extra costs on what we buy. Extra haulage costs on what we sell, driving our profits down. Extra cost in admin and time for hauliers.
Ed.1
Dover has no land for unaccompanied
Ed.2
Dover has less land and moves more trucks than in the 90’s.

Most eastern European hauliers seem to have no problem with their vehicles being parked up for several days at Cherwell Valley Services etc waiting for an outbound load so I can’t see a 30 minute delay getting some T forms stamped up being too much of an issue for them.

Harry Monk:
Most eastern European hauliers seem to have no problem with their vehicles being parked up for several days at Cherwell Valley Services etc waiting for an outbound load so I can’t see a 30 minute delay getting some T forms stamped up being too much of an issue for them.

The queues out of Calais back up the corridor were far longer than 30 minutes yesterday.

Darkside:

Harry Monk:

The queues out of Calais back up the corridor were far longer than 30 minutes yesterday.

Right now it’s a 5hr check in French side and 1hr UK side for Eurotunnel. Not unusual.
eurotunnelfreight.com/uk/tr … formation/

Just send all the unaccompanied trailers to Purfleet.
Cobelfret seem to manage well receiving their 4 big freighters every day…

pierrot 14:
Just send all the unaccompanied trailers to Purfleet.
Cobelfret seem to manage well receiving their 4 big freighters every day…

Dover handles 4 times as many freight units as London.
statista.com/statistics/112 … nd-the-eu/
Also the crossing there is longer.
The boats, land and tuggies aren’t there to have much effect.
(Before anyone says the tunnel has very limited parking both side, and is not designed for unaccompanied.)

Franglais:

Darkside:

Harry Monk:

Right now it’s a 5hr check in French side and 1hr UK side for Eurotunnel. Not unusual.

This is due to traffic volumes and nothing to do with Brexit came through there Tuesday lunchtime straight into the port about 30 minutes from arriving to lanes no more customs checks than usual, delays in previous weeks have been due to the ferry companies having boats off

Naturally the mere idea, of Husks and other local hauliers sending over solo units to pick up trailers from Calais to run them up to Ashford for clearance, would be immediately scuppered by the filthy French who would come up with some excuse to prevent it, even though their limited vocabulary hasn’t invented a word for the process yet. :smiley:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Darkside:

Harry Monk:

This is due to traffic volumes and nothing to do with Brexit came through there Tuesday lunchtime straight into the port about 30 minutes from arriving to lanes no more customs checks than usual, delays in previous weeks have been due to the ferry companies having boats off

Absolutely true.
5 and 6 hour delays with traffic back to the autoroute is common. Not everyday, but not exceptional.
Where will the queues be with any extra issues?
The clandestines must go looking forward to the extra chances to grab a ride soon.

cav551:
Naturally the mere idea, of Husks and other local hauliers sending over solo units to pick up trailers from Calais to run them up to Ashford for clearance, would be immediately scuppered by the filthy French who would come up with some excuse to prevent it, even though their limited vocabulary hasn’t invented a word for the process yet. :smiley:

Nice earner for Husks you reckon?
If they get permits.
Longer trip times don’t tie in with modern factory processes. Good way to export future jobs.
And let the British consumers pay the extra of course.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

[/quote]
Absolutely true.
5 and 6 hour delays with traffic back to the autoroute is common. Not everyday, but not exceptional.
Where will the queues be with any extra issues?
The clandestines must go looking forward to the extra chances to grab a ride soon.
[/quote]

I don’t know the last time you used this crossing but 5 to 6 hours delays are not common last week there were 3 hour delays due to a lack of boats, UK customs have said that there will be no extra checks until at least June/July next year and until then will continue their current practice of targeting the usual suspects so no reason for any extra delays coming into the UK.
As for clandestines they are not the problem that they once were there, yes they are still about but not in anything like previous numbers, as the problem has been shunted down the line to Belgium and even as far afield as Achen.

Franglais:

cav551:

If they get permits.
Longer trip times don’t tie in with modern factory processes. Good way to export future jobs.

So no different to what happens now then, with EU membership

cav551:

Perdants.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

cav551:

If they get permits.

If the UK manufacturing sector is in trouble now, how will Brexit possibly help?
If investors want a factory in the EU region will they build some where with zero tariff and frictionless borders, or somewhere like post Brexit Britain?
There is certainly a problem in the UK. I gree. Why do you imagine Brexit is in any way a solution?

The UK and EU have had a plan to sort this for months,

1. Have a global pandemic, of a slightly harmful virus too scare the crap out of the population and make them more compliant.
  2. Lockdown the population of Europe
  3. Crash the economy, to reduce general level of cross border trade, so fewer truck and ferry movements.
  4. Lockdown the population again.
  5. Give them “freedom” at Christmas.
  6. Tell the population because they went mad at Christmas they need to be lockdowned in January, justify the lockdown using dodgy and out of date information.
  7. Once the cross border issues have been sorted out with lower levels of traffic, give the population a vaccination and let them go back to work, but tax the crap out of them to get some of that money back.
  8. When the population ask for their freedoms back, remember how easy it was to control a population using fear and media hysteria and invent a new crisis.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

cav551:

If they get permits.

If the UK manufacturing sector is in trouble now, how will Brexit possibly help?
If investors want a factory in the EU region will they build some where with zero tariff and frictionless borders, or somewhere like post Brexit Britain?
There is certainly a problem in the UK. I gree. Why do you imagine Brexit is in any way a solution?

Well you could turn the question on it’s head if UK manufacturing is struggling after 40 years in the EU what makes you think that more EU is the solution?
With regards to the EU it seems more interested in levelling down rather than up, so the richer members pay money to the poorer countries these countries then use the money to give grants to companies to allow them to set up with a competitive advantage over their factories in the richer nations, companies now move decent paid jobs to these countries but doesn’t pay the same wage, thereby increasing said company’s profits but leaving the richer nations working class somewhat poorer.
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-29527169
Gallahers cite EU cigarette packaging legislation as one of the reasons for the closure obviously Poland isn’t in the EU or affected by EU legislation then, or could it be that Gallahers can make more profit there aided by grants to set up the factory