Over 3.5T Tacho question

Friend of mine is starting up doing car/plant/boat transport. He has a selection of prime movers to pull his trailers, firstly a Range Rover Vogue, As this plus trailer up to the 3.5T towing capacity will be over 3.5tGVW does he need a tacho fitted for hire/reward? Also an Amarok Pick up, pretty sure this definitely needs a tacho over 3.5tGVW. If the Amarok does then he is in scope if he uses that Monday morning so would have to fit a tacho to the RR to be in scope for rest of the week, I think…

Other thing, does he need an O license?

Yes, needs a Tacho fitting for Hire and Reward, plus an Operators Licence. His driving licence minimum requirements B+E entitlement again because it’s Hire and Reward.

definitely needs a tacho - but not sure about ‘o’ Lic from gov.co.uk

Motor vehicles and trailers

You’ll need a goods vehicle operator’s licence for a motor vehicle and trailer combination if:

the motor vehicle and the trailer(s) are plated and the total of their gross plated weights is more than 3,500 kg

are the trailers plated ?

hardyd44:
are the trailers plated ?

If a trailer is unplated then the total of the max load on the tyres is deemed to be the MAM

Thanks guys, He has B+E grandfather rights as passed car test many moons ago.

Trailers I would imagine are plated, brand new Plant trailer and a Brian James covered motorsport car trailer so far. Looking to add a boat trailer too and vast majority of the 3.5T of them are plated.

So, in conclusion, definitely needs a tacho. Probably needs an O licence too.

This brings me to another point, I’m making the assumption that if he was to do anything into Europe and he does need an O licence He would need an international one not just a domestic uk one?

Also if He has to get an O licence will his vehicles and trailers be subject to the 6 weekly like hgv or just MOT?

Not probably, he does.

gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator

I think you will all find that only a tacho is required and not an operators licence .
4 by 4 vehicles of that size and ones with X number of seats are exempt.

Good to see that he is buying all the shiny trailers first before asking the internet if he’s allowed to operate

hopefully clarification on this
diamonddrivertraining.co.uk/wp-c … eaflet.pdf

excerpt:

• “Dual purpose” vehicles Under Schedule 3 (2) of the goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) Regulations 1995 “a dual purpose vehicle and any trailer drawn by it” is identified as exempt from goods vehicle operator licensing. The dual purpose category generally includes cars, estates, pickups (with a second row of seats (crew cab) only), and domestic 4x4 vehicles such as Land Rovers, Jeeps,and other similar vehicles below 2040kgs unladen weight

Is a tacho required for over 3.5t for moving own goods? No hire or reward.

Yes, a tacho is required above 3.5 tonnes (except for some very specific exceptions - utilities, etc)

DCPC also required I think.

As you may be starting to gather there’s a lot of people who run around in vans pulling twin axle trailers who are breaking the law. Police could have a field day if they pulled in every van with a 2 axle trailer on the back.

Conor:

As you may be starting to gather there’s a lot of people who run around in vans pulling twin axle trailers who are breaking the law. Police could have a field day if they pulled in every van with a 2 axle trailer on the back.

What’s 2 axles got to do with anything ? :unamused: ,no Dcpc required for the driver of vehicle up to 3.5 t no matter how big the trailer or number of axles .

hardyd44:

excerpt:

• “Dual purpose” vehicles Under Schedule 3 (2) of the goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) Regulations 1995 “a dual purpose vehicle and any trailer drawn by it” is identified as exempt from goods vehicle operator licensing. The dual purpose category generally includes cars, estates, pickups (with a second row of seats (crew cab) only), and domestic 4x4 vehicles such as Land Rovers, Jeeps,and other similar vehicles below 2040kgs unladen weight

Towing with a Range Rover Vogue he will struggle to be below 2040kgs

Washwipe:

hardyd44:

excerpt:

Towing with a Range Rover Vogue he will struggle to be below 2040kgs

Rangie itself is over 2,040kgs.

Conor:

No DCPC required as driving under a B+E licence not a vocational C1, C or C+E licence.

Does this help answer the Questions?

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … eaflet.pdf

muckles:
No DCPC required as driving under a B+E licence not a vocational C1, C or C+E licence.

Thanks. It was the needing one for a 9+ seat Ford Transit minibus type vehicle that threw me.

Punchy Dan:
What’s 2 axles got to do with anything ? :unamused: .

Do you have a HGV licence? The number of axles determines the plated gross train weight. You’ll notice the higher the plated weight the more axles a unit and/or trailer has. Twin axle trailers tend to be plated for over a tonne which would put any transit type vehicle towing them into the “needs a tacho” category.

Conor:

Punchy Dan:
What’s 2 axles got to do with anything ? :unamused: .

Do you have a HGV licence? The number of axles determines the plated gross train weight. You’ll notice the higher the plated weight the more axles a unit and/or trailer has. Twin axle trailers tend to be plated for over a tonne which would put any transit type vehicle towing them into the “needs a tacho” category.

What’s having an have license got to do with anything ? :unamused: trailers come in all weights and sizes ,a 3 axle 3.5t trailer carry’s less and has smaller brakes than tandem 3.5t trailer ,you can have an unbraked trailer up to 750 kg single or twin axle ,I had a cable drum trailer with single axle and gross of 3.5t ,
Stick to driving Conor :wink: