Rookie mistake.

Today was my rookie mistake day; new (to me) delivery point in Sunderland, trusted the postcode and ended up on the wrong end of the estate on a dead end road with nowhere to turn around!

As this isn’t my first rodeo I merely smiled that wry smile, popped the hazards on and engaged reverse. Obviously at this point what was a deserted road suddenly was filled with cars who absolutely must get past me! Out now of course and at the correct place but it just goes how easily thing can go breasts north if you fail to prepare.

the maoster:
Today was my rookie mistake day; new (to me) delivery point in Sunderland, trusted the postcode and ended up on the wrong end of the estate on a dead end road with nowhere to turn around!

As this isn’t my first rodeo I merely smiled that wry smile, popped the hazards on and engaged reverse. Obviously at this point what was a deserted road suddenly was filled with cars who absolutely must get past me! Out now of course and at the correct place but it just goes how easily thing can go breasts north if you fail to prepare.

Your second mistake was putting this on the wrong forum. :laughing:

robroy:

the maoster:

Your second mistake was putting this on the wrong forum. :laughing:

Lol that has to be worth a free breakfast at least :smiley:

Shush you two ^^^ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I like how you tried to hide it on the o/d’s forum mate ………….maybe the the newbie and wannabees forum is for you… :wink: :laughing:

p.s mod’s can you put this on the main forum……… bloody young pups… :laughing:

m.a.n rules:
I like how you tried to hide it on the o/d’s forum mate ………….maybe the the newbie and wannabees forum is for you… :wink: :laughing:

p.s mod’s can you put this on the main forum……… bloody young pups… :laughing:

Bugger! Only realised it was in the wrong forum when you so unsarcastically :smiley: :smiley: pointed it out. Second rookie mistake of the day methinks. :blush:

Edit to add, I thought Robroy was having one of his increasingly common senior moments when he made the O/D comment, but now that my learned colleague m.a.n rules has pointed it out perhaps the mods could move it as I feel that my stupidity deserves a wider audience :wink:

Chin up mate, could have been worse, could’a been me :laughing:

In a previous life my short cut through a village around 2am came to a sticky halt when i couldn’t past 2 cars parked opposite, cue a mile or so reverse down a winding lane until i found a gateway :blush:

About 20 years ago a similar thing happened, sailing along and unbeknown to me i’d missed where the main road turned left, but the B road i was then on was no worse than the previous A road.
After about 5 miles i came upon a wooden bridge, yes the bridge comprised of planks with a supposed weight limit of 7.5 tons, i was empty but tared off at about 19 tons :blush: , cue a reverse of indeterminate distance until a suitable farm entrance presented itself, glad it was a standard wag’n’drag and not an A frame or i’d still be there :smiling_imp:

There have been several other instances of serious reversing exercises to be performed cos of my mistakes, me last one was another middle of the night reverse about 2 miles, but that one wasn’t my fault :wink: , there’d been a fatal and i’d committed to the route before it was closed, either i did some elongated backing up or sat there all night.

the maoster:

When i was once on the coaches i had to reverse into a farm after tsking a wrong turn. The idiots i had all brought mobile phones out. At least your cargo was not filming you.

years ago the police ■■■■■■ got me to the wrong entrance of caravan park in bovey tracey , cue a mile or so reverse with a 14’6" x 44’ mobile home on , didn’t help that the trailer axle was slightly out of line , oh how i laughed,

tony

m.a.n rules:
… p.s mod’s can you put this on the main forum……… bloody young pups… :laughing:

I moved it very quietly. :wink:

dieseldave:

m.a.n rules:
… p.s mod’s can you put this on the main forum……… bloody young pups… :laughing:

I moved it very quietly. :wink:

NO ONE NOTICED !

For starrers it doesn’t sound like you had the all singing sat nav which you can point at and say “it told me to go here”. Also cery handy if the local paper shows your truck. *

Secondly, be paranoid and check Google maps. Obviously don’t let the nav see you doing this (they get jealous), but its very handy for figuring all the oddities. Unless the estate is less than 5 years old.

Third…ask the mods to move posts in the middle of the night. Only us might drivers will see it and we promise not to tell (one of the admins is a night driver I believe). :wink:

• I have one of those as its hard to see road signs at night (new excuse).

Welcome to the…

Forum. If you use the search function here, you’ll find this topic has been covered in detail many times before.

Apparently the best Satnav is a Tom Tom.

Anything you put inside a curtainsider trailer will be insecure.

If you’re not earning £17 ph like the rest of us, you should go and get a job in McDonalds instead.

newb

Diesel how did you move it did you have to reverse it?!? Did you turn your beeper off?!?

■■■■ takers… :blush: :blush: :blush: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:

When you say ‘estate’ did you mean housing estate?

Always a good idea if one is zooming up to stop the wagon and ask/ring delivery site, especially if driving an artic. Sometimes there is a delivery at the end of it but often it is a place that shares a postcode with the place you want that has a different access. Does happen.

Had similar last week, heading to a new site and after phoning the office and getting confirmation that “yes it’s at the end turn left” i approach with caution only to find the entrance is 500yds back up the nice tarmac road…[emoji85][emoji85][emoji85] nevermind cos everyday is a school day…

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

the maoster:

Hope it wasn’t Pennywell Estate up in Sunderland where you got stuck, or they would had your load off before you had chance to put it in reverse :open_mouth: Are you sure it wasn’t a ambush? :laughing:

Got stuck in Chelmsford once. Following some stupid diversion signs that led me onto a bloody housing estate. The last sign looked so wrong that I got out my lorry and went for a walk. It looked ok so I went for it only to find that I couldn’t get out the other end of the road!! I spent the next god knows how long reversing a half mile or so up a residential street with parked cars on either side and hardly any street lighting, cursing whichever prat had pointed me down there!!

Oh the Joy’s of night driving!

elsa Lad:
Hope it wasn’t Pennywell Estate up in Sunderland where you got stuck, or they would had your load off before you had chance to put it in reverse :open_mouth: Are you sure it wasn’t a ambush? :laughing:

It was 2 sisters foods I was going to (can’t remember the name of the ind est now). Problem being that en route I phoned a mate who’d been before and he said “you turn right onto the estate and then take your first right which is a dead end and it’s up there on your right” so I did exactly that and ended up nearly bolloxed. Turns out he’s only ever come from the Newcastle end whereas I’d come from the Teeside end, therefore opposite ends of the estate! Problem confounded by the fact that my sat nav said I was correct.

No dramas at the end of the day and it just meant another 30 minutes wages in my pocket. :wink: