2004 daf lf45 questions

Hi all, the wife has just got a Daf 45 lf horse lorry and I need some advice please. I’ve been trying to get a driver’s manual with no luck (tried Daf an internet), any suggestions??

I had a new ignition key made yesterday and driving back from locksmiths error code 1 came up on the dash, when I used the original key it was no longer displayed…what is code 1?
When I tried the new key briefly once parked up it was not showing, bit of a worry though.

Finally, if I have no luck getting a driver’s manual, how do I lift the cab to check over the engine (wife bought the lorry whilst I was away, she paid… so I’ve not had chance for a proper check over till now).

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Rich

Here’s an Ebay auction for a CD manual and workshop manual.

ebay.co.uk/itm/DAF-LF45-LF5 … 3804053171

Why not ask your local DAF dealership about the code?

Does the body of the horse box go over the top of the cab? The cabs typically tilt forward with a cab jacking mechanism on the passenger side at the back that looks like a rectangular block with a round bit at the top, which is the valve you turn to lift or drop, and a tube on the side that you insert a handle in to pump it. If it is a manual gearbox truck usually you have to put the gearstick in first gear. Oh and don’t forget to have nothing loose in the cab or you may find it trying to exit through the windscreen when the cab is nearly tilted over and goes the final couple of feet quite quickly.

Depends if it is just a box body and does not go over the cab as it is quite common for horsebox people to fix the cabs down permanently so that it is easier to build over the cab roof and make a way through from the body. They then, sometimes, cut bits of the cab bottom out and make them into panels to access the engine. Otherwise it is as described above except that we had an old MAN 8150 with a little day cab that did not have a jack, just finely balanced. If it was facing uphill it was a right struggle, facing downhill you thought it was going to faceplant the ground. Don’t know if there are any DAfs like that.

Thanks for your replies. I’ve got that workshop manual downloaded but I’m after the driver manual which I assume has information on controls,daily checks etc. There is a hinged Luton over the cab that opens to allow the cab to move I think. Cheers.

The 1 is to say there is only 1 error ,code will be because the vehicle system doesn’t recognise it
If the cab can be tilted there should be a pump on the N/S behind the front drop wing…The dipstick is under the grill by the way ,and the chances of getting a proper reading of it are slim as it is usually covered in condensation …A blast of air down the tube generally clears the condensation …As said a lot of horse boxes cab do not tilt a the body builder attaches the donkeybox part direct to the cab

Thanks, at least I can check the oil now…error code not showing now so hopefully cloned key has been accepted.

norb:
.As said a lot of horse boxes cab do not tilt a the body builder attaches the donkeybox part direct to the cab

And don’t fitters love them when they come in for their annual safety check :laughing:

Daf45rich:
Thanks for your replies. I’ve got that workshop manual downloaded but I’m after the driver manual which I assume has information on controls,daily checks etc. There is a hinged Luton over the cab that opens to allow the cab to move I think. Cheers.

Sounds like yours was done by one of the more enlightened builders, much better idea.

Daf45rich:
Thanks for your replies. I’ve got that workshop manual downloaded but I’m after the driver manual which I assume has information on controls,daily checks etc.

Daily checks are the same for any lorry. Oil, water, tyres, wheel nuts, lights, mirrors, wipers, washers, horn, brake air pressure builds up and no audible air leaks, windscreen OK, nowt obvious dropping off, bodywork not dangerous, road tax, MOT.

The LF45 is as simple as it gets as a truck, you shouldn’t need a driver manual to work out the controls. In quarter of a century I’ve never had access to driver manuals and as an agency driver I’ve been in pretty much every wagon on the road. Sticking point was gearboxes the first time I’d drive something if it wasn’t obvious as for the big lorries there’s a dozen different ways of changing gear. DAF LF is a simple 6 speed like a car, no range change, no splitter.

Reassured by your answers. It’s a nice vehicle to drive,though a bit bigger than I’m used to. Great forum :smiley:

Daf45rich:
Thanks, at least I can check the oil now…error code not showing now so hopefully cloned key has been accepted.

Careful with that assumption. The vehicle system could be “seeing” the chip in the original key if it happens to be on the same key-ring or nearby. Leave the original key well away from the vehicle and then try the new/cloned key.

Good point…will test out the truck with the new key up the farm track and leave the old key left back at stables…

Daf45rich:
Good point…will test out the truck with the new key up the farm track and leave the old key left back at stables…

No need to do that, the keys even sat on the passenger seat will be far away as the sensor only works in almost direct contact.

Conor:

Daf45rich:

No need to do that, the keys even sat on the passenger seat will be far away as the sensor only works in almost direct contact.

NFC should only work over a range of 10cm or so - but it could work over significantly longer distances. In the OP’s case, the question he’s got to ask himself is “Do I feel lucky?” It’s a a bit late to find yourself 50 miles from base with only the “spare” set of keys, a non-starting vehicle and the dashboard display showing “Code” when a few minutes of testing would have shown that the chip in the spare key didn’t work…

Well I tried the new key again with a quick test drive and no error codes appeared,so hopefully all good there. Where is the release catch located for the front engine panel so I can access dipstick etc? I’ve had a good look in the cab but not obvious to me!
Cheers.

Daf45rich:
Well I tried the new key again with a quick test drive and no error codes appeared,so hopefully all good there. Where is the release catch located for the front engine panel so I can access dipstick etc? I’ve had a good look in the cab but not obvious to me!
Cheers.

I don’t think there is an internal release. Certainly on the CF of that age the release catches are external at either end of the grille. I don’t think the LF even had those - my recollection is that you just pull open the flap. It is secured in the closed position by springs alone.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Daf45rich:
Cheers.

I don’t think there is an internal release. Certainly on the CF of that age the release catches are external at either end of the grille. I don’t think the LF even had those - my recollection is that you just pull open the flap. It is secured in the closed position by springs alone.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Ah, in which case I’ll give it a bit of a tug and see if it releases. I can see a catch with no obvious cable to it but was wary of forcing it…thanks.

Daf45rich:
Ah, in which case I’ll give it a bit of a tug and see if it releases. I can see a catch with no obvious cable to it but was wary of forcing it…thanks.

A bit of googling suggests that on some older LFs there are a pair of turnbuckles which release the catches - they apparently have a large screwdriver style slot that you can turn with a coin or similar, and that some newer ones have a lever semi-hidden in the grille. I’m 99% certain though that the ones we had (2009 model) had neither, just held closed by springs in the hinges.

Roymondo:

Daf45rich:

A bit of googling suggests that on some older LFs there are a pair of turnbuckles which release the catches - they apparently have a large screwdriver style slot that you can turn with a coin or similar, and that some newer ones have a lever semi-hidden in the grille. I’m 99% certain though that the ones we had (2009 model) had neither, just held closed by springs in the hinges.

On the LF that is the important bit it will say LF on the grill, to open the grill just pull it ,there is no release cables ,to tilt the cab if the bodyshop haven’t made it impossible ,you will find the pump on the N/S behind the wheelarch…The turn buckle you are talking about is not the LF ,that is it’s predecessor the 45 which was Euro2 and a totally different cab ,that was a Leyland cab the LF is a Renault cab