Bet driver had a smashing night

1000s of glass bottles all over the M1 last night after crash with car. However looked more like they dropped half of them picking the trailer up.

google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co … s-49672643

Passed this at 5am but all I could see was trailer on its side right across all lanes. If you’re going to block the M1, why not do it in style!

Driver cant get into trouble however, they have Fors Silver - get out of jail free card…I think.

44 tons of glass!!! take it he was overloaded then lol

Typical BBC coverage over exaggerate

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I can’t see…

Clearly, is it one of WH Malcolms?

yourhavingalarf:
I can’t see…

Yes it is

idrive:

yourhavingalarf:
I can’t see…

Yes it is

Thank you…

Had to be really. They must have moved most of Britains glass over the years.

I wonder if there will be prosecutions over the load spilling out?

If it was strapped properly it would have stayed put when they picked it up. Probably just 2 a cross the back tut tut :wink:

mrginge:
If it was strapped properly it would have stayed put when they picked it up. Probably just 2 a cross the back tut tut :wink:

Go on then, tell us how it should have been strapped…I have done this job many times, never had an issue, so would be interested to hear how you do it.

mrginge:

It will have been strapped according to Malcolms policy, you can’t leave yard if it’s not.

Guarantee it’ll been live glass load. Hated the ■■■■ stuff when I worked for them. Slight bump or hiccup and sometimes the lot just goes!!

Remember once loaded up a trailer , strapped as per policy- moved forward slow and the middle just collapsed, took ■■■■■■■ hours to clear it up.

We did ask about netting but apparently higher up decided it wasn’t needed, given that it usually goes big time when they collapse , netting wouldn’t do much good so never worried about it

Least all trailers were XL.

If it’s gone over methinks from the car collision it’s ended up having a weave on trying to control after the hit and the pallets have gone and tipped trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malcolm’s policy on strapping that load is just a cross strap every 2 pallets. Nothing on the sides.

DVSA rules say every pallet must be strapped.

Look at that photo and who is right?

Tude:

mrginge:

Go on then, tell us how it should have been strapped…I have done this job many times, never had an issue, so would be interested to hear how you do it.

Yeah but you’ve never put it on it’s side have you I’m guessing? And this is the problem, most drivers don’t bother with strapping because under normal driving conditions it doesn’t need it. It’s for when somthing goes wrong to stop it all spilling out over the road and shutting it for hours. Personally I’d have made sure every pallet was strapped according to DVSA rules. This ■■■■■■■■ of only cross strapping every so many pallets is just a cop out for doing it properly so the driver can say yeah but I’ve made an effort.

malcolms have carried the same load every day since they were loading them onto horses and carts.
that one would be no different and prob a trunker lifting a loaded trailer anyway thats loaded to malcolms spec since the beginning of time.
if they put another 50 straps on each row,they would still be all over the place when lifting the trailer as the glass would be smashed to smithereens anyway,so apart from vosa and their ludicrous opinions,theres no blame on the driver/loader as no doubt the previous driver moved them without issue.

dieseldog999:
malcolms have carried the same load every day since they were loading them onto horses and carts.
that one would be no different and prob a trunker lifting a loaded trailer anyway thats loaded to malcolms spec since the beginning of time.
if they put another 50 straps on each row,they would still be all over the place when lifting the trailer as the glass would be smashed to smithereens anyway,so apart from vosa and their ludicrous opinions,theres no blame on the driver/loader as no doubt the previous driver moved them without issue.

So Malcolm’s spec is above the law is it?

Rowley010:

Tude:

mrginge:

Yeah but you’ve never put it on it’s side have you I’m guessing? And this is the problem, most drivers don’t bother with strapping because under normal driving conditions it doesn’t need it. It’s for when somthing goes wrong to stop it all spilling out over the road and shutting it for hours. Personally I’d have made sure every pallet was strapped according to DVSA rules. This ■■■■■■■■ of only cross strapping every so many pallets is just a cop out for doing it properly so the driver can say yeah but I’ve made an effort.

Like any amount of straps would keep them from spilling once on its side and dragged back up. Wtf

Well according to DVSA we need to strap every load to within an inch of its life to prevent a load coming out. Or are we actually saying it still doesn’t hold the load in a roll over? :open_mouth:

Well what DVSA would probably say is that the load should be secured with netting or an inner curtain because like in a lot of loads the goods are still just going to fall around the internal straps if it goes on it’s side.

If it’s anything like it was back in the 90’s when I used to backload out of rockware in donny I can’t see how any amount of strapping would save the load. All the glass will have been turned back to sand when it landed on its side then poured out the ruined curtains when they right’d it.

nomiS36:
If it’s anything like it was back in the 90’s when I used to backload out of rockware in donny I can’t see how any amount of strapping would save the load. All the glass will have been turned back to sand when it landed on its side then poured out the ruined curtains when they right’d it.

Someone tell DVSA that because I’m sure if they pulled you without it all strapped up they’d say it’s insecure even though it’s going to end up like that anyway

dcgpx:

mrginge:

It will have been strapped according to Malcolms policy, you can’t leave yard if it’s not.

Depends if they picked it up from their yard or a customer. If it is the latter there’s no guarantees.

Regardless of whether the load was strapped properly or not, one of the reasons that DVSA are cracking down on loads not being secured properly is because of the needless hours and £millions lost because of delays purely due to having to clear up loads after something like this which wouldn’t have necessarily needed to be had they been secured properly.

No idea how many of you watch Highway Thru Hell but there’s been plenty of times they’ve come to a vehicle on its side down an embankment and the load is still in place because it has been secured properly, often not moving at all especially if it is timber.

mrginge:

Just to clarify for people losing their heads when I put a wink at the end of a sentence I’m being sarcastic.