Hello all at TrucknetUK

Good evening…

My name is Stuart, been looking around on here for a few week and getting some good advice from others…

At the ripe old age of 55 I have just sent of my renewal for my HGV Class 1 (C+E) which I have had since I was 21 and kept going… I did drive for a contract hire firm for about 18 month back in the day but due to redundancy I took the first job I could and ended up in the motor trade which I have done ever since, for two companies.

Well, following a takeover of the company it looking likely that redundancy is on the cards again, and through shear boredom now with no real direction I am looking to finish my working life off driving again…

I have sent off the paperwork for the renewal yesterday with an application for the tachograph card, and when these are hopefully back I am looking at doing the driver CPC and a driving refresher course with Viamaster which is local too me… then see what I can find…

I have sent a few emails out of curiosity to about 5 firms and one wants me to call now, and the other two, one has said to call them once all is in place, and the other to arrange an interview when the chap is back off holiday… so who knows…

Will be on here to get some advice, and any you can give would be appreciated… time to brush up on the drivers hours and tachograph use now :slight_smile:

Stuart

Hi Stuart, welcome along, you’ll find the job has changed a lot since the 1980’s, some things for the better and some things not so good.

You’ll probably find the wages are about the same now as they were then. :wink:

Harry Monk:
Hi Stuart, welcome along, you’ll find the job has changed a lot since the 1980’s, some things for the better and some things not so good.

You’ll probably find the wages are about the same now as they were then. :wink:

I am expecting a lot has changed, especially vehicles with automatics, digital tachographs etc which is why, for the money I am doing a 4 hour refresher, just to get the feel of driving again, I suppose it is like riding a bike, once back in the seat it will soon come back to you… I hope lol

Welcome to the day care center,fill free to talk about any think that’s is relevant, some of the class mates can get a bit grumpy,but ignore them and after a while they come round,at the moment we are on ower 6 week holiday, so welcome and Enjoy

LGVStuart:
I suppose it is like riding a bike, once back in the seat it will soon come back to you… I hope lol

Yes it is, I’ve had extended spells away doing other things and I always get a little anxious before returning and wonder if I will have forgotten how to drive a truck but of course you never do.

LGVStuart:
Good evening…

My name is Stuart, been looking around on here for a few week and getting some good advice from others…

At the ripe old age of 55 I have just sent of my renewal for my HGV Class 1 (C+E) which I have had since I was 21 and kept going… I did drive for a contract hire firm for about 18 month back in the day but due to redundancy I took the first job I could and ended up in the motor trade which I have done ever since, for two companies.

Well, following a takeover of the company it looking likely that redundancy is on the cards again, and through shear boredom now with no real direction I am looking to finish my working life off driving again…

I have sent off the paperwork for the renewal yesterday with an application for the tachograph card, and when these are hopefully back I am looking at doing the driver CPC and a driving refresher course with Viamaster which is local too me… then see what I can find…

I have sent a few emails out of curiosity to about 5 firms and one wants me to call now, and the other two, one has said to call them once all is in place, and the other to arrange an interview when the chap is back off holiday… so who knows…

Will be on here to get some advice, and any you can give would be appreciated… time to brush up on the drivers hours and tachograph use now :slight_smile:

Stuart

If you have been keeping your stuff up to date why would you tell anyone especially looking for jobs that your waiting for everything to come back
It don’t make sense

Harry Monk:

LGVStuart:
I suppose it is like riding a bike, once back in the seat it will soon come back to you… I hope lol

Yes it is, I’ve had extended spells away doing other things and I always get a little anxious before returning and wonder if I will have forgotten how to drive a truck but of course you never do.

It’s the exact same as riding a bike but not now because a blind man could drive one now
Maybe not reverse
It can’t be made any simpler

nightline:
If you have been keeping your stuff up to date why would you tell anyone especially looking for jobs that your waiting for everything to come back
It don’t make sense

Why not be honest? It is correct I am waiting for my stuff to come back, DVLA could turn round and say no and then it would expire the end of September, plus I do need to get the driver CPC and then feel like I do need a refresher before I look at working for a company and being in control of a vehicle and cargo worth £1000’s just to refresh reversing, coupling and uncoupling and general driving on the road …

2 of the 3 want me to call, one wants be to call for a chat now, which I am Tuesday and the other when I get my driver CPC card…

Will see what happens… even considered buying my own truck… never know…

Stuart

You’ve done the right thing being honest.
Employers and fellow drivers will cut you some slack and offer advice.
It will be obvious to those working with you your out of practice so why lie?
You’ll end up looking like a knob.

I personally have a lot more time for someone that admits to being a bit green than someone who reckons they’ve done it all but it’s quite obvious they have not.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

mat79:
You’ve done the right thing being honest.
Employers and fellow drivers will cut you some slack and offer advice.
It will be obvious to those working with you your out of practice so why lie?
You’ll end up looking like a knob.

I personally have a lot more time for someone that admits to being a bit green than someone who reckons they’ve done it all but it’s quite obvious they have not.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Hi

My thought exactly… I admit I will be terrified getting behind the wheel again, and reversing will be comical I expect for anyone watching me lol… been 25-30 years since i drove for any time so I will be very rusty, I will be bad at reversing which is why I told them I wanted a “refresher” first…

At least the companies that want me to contact them know before hand so it will be no surprise to them, and if it is OK with them knowing that, fantastic, I will feel happier…

I am treating/looking at myself am a complete “newbie” just like have just passed my test… I need to refresh and learn again… :wink:

Stuart

Hey Stuart.
First thing I would advise you is DON’T buy your own truck, just save a bit of time and set fire to your 50 grand or whatever, unless you have a bloody good niche job lined up and not the run of the mill crap everyone else does, the big boys will eat you alive…some will disagree undoubtedly, but YOU decide on that one…that’s that out of the way. :smiley:

Get the dcpc sorted asap, take the modules that you are actually going to learn somethig you will NEED, like load security and the dreaded drivers hours, but be warned much, or even most of it is just theoretical ■■■■■■■■ rather than a genuine entity, but if you are already past experienced you will have an advantage over the newbies.

If you last drove in the 80s, you will find a hell of a difference in modern trucks in comparison to ERFs, 2800DAFs, F10s, and 111s and the like…book 1 days refresher at a Training schhol, that is all you will need to feel right in the saddle.
Autos are embarrasinglly easy to drive, I love them contrary to others my age :smiley: , trucks today are just like a big car, with no gear selection skills to master any longer (reason why manyf/whits get licences today in fact :unamused: )

I reckon it will be like getting back on to a bike for you mate.
As for your reversing, it depends how good (or bad :smiley: ) you were last time, but whatever, just keep practicing, it does work. :bulb:

When you do get a job watch out for the changes since last time, it is now like chalk and cheese to what it was last time…trust me.
Firms today are usually ran by dicks who know jack all about transport, their incompetence knows no bounds…just make all the right noises and humour them. :laughing:
Keep your head down and do your own thing whilst at the same time making it look like THEY are winning. :bulb:

Also you will need to hack your way through all the corporate pure b/s that has evolved since your time, compiled by the, wait for it…‘‘Compliance Managers’’ :unamused: :laughing: ,
Also the health and safety nazis run the roost today…beware leave your hi viz off at pain of death…but NEVER wear it while driving. :wink: :laughing:

Just ask a proper driver for advice mate when you start, a good man will always help you… but watch out for the MANY yes men, teararse clowns, and arse crawlers in the job, ignore them, and treat them with the contempt they deserve …and do NOT try and compete with them ! :bulb:

Any more advice just come on here, there are many knowlegeable drivers on here (among the few knob heads :smiley: )

Good luck mate…you’ll ■■■■ it. :sunglasses: :wink:
Hope that was of some use.

robroy:
Hey Stuart.
First thing I would advise you is DON’T buy your own truck, just save a bit of time and set fire to your 50 grand or whatever, unless you have a bloody good niche job lined up and not the run of the mill crap everyone else does, the big boys will eat you alive…some will disagree undoubtedly, but YOU decide on that one…that’s that out of the way. :smiley:

Get the dcpc sorted asap, take the modules that you are actually going to learn somethig you will NEED, like load security and the dreaded drivers hours, but be warned much, or even most of it is just theoretical ■■■■■■■■ rather than a genuine entity, but if you are already past experienced you will have an advantage over the newbies.

If you last drove in the 80s, you will find a hell of a difference in modern trucks in comparison to ERFs, 2800DAFs, F10s, and 111s and the like…book 1 days refresher at a Training schhol, that is all you will need to feel right in the saddle.
Autos are embarrasinglly easy to drive, I love them contrary to others my age :smiley: , trucks today are just like a big car, with no gear selection skills to master any longer (reason why manyf/whits get licences today in fact :unamused: )

As for your reversing, it depends how good (or bad :smiley: ) you were last time, but whatever, just keep practicing, it does work. :bulb:

When you do get a job watch out for the changes since last time, it is now like chalk and cheese to what it was last time…trust me.
Firms today are usually ran by dicks who know jack all about transport, their incompetence knows no bounds…just make all the right noises and humour them. :laughing:
Keep your head down and do your own thing whilst at the same time making it look like THEY are winning. :bulb:

Also you will need to hack your way through all the corporate pure b/s that has evolved since your time, compiled by the, wait for it…‘‘Compliance Managers’’ :unamused: :laughing: ,
Also the health and safety nazis run the roost today…beware leave your hi viz off at pain of death…but NEVER wear it while driving. :wink: :laughing:

Just ask a proper driver for advice mate when you start, a good man will always help you… but watch out for the MANY yes men, teararse clowns, and arse crawlers in the job, ignore them, and treat them with the contempt they deserve …and do NOT try and compete with them ! :bulb:

Any more advice just come on here, there are many knowlegeable drivers on here (among the few knob heads :smiley: )

Hi

That was a great help, thank you… and it all makes a lot of sense to me…

I must admit I love automatics, one of my cars is one and I love it, easy to drive, great in traffic, could be I am just a lazy sod deep down really lol

I work in the head office of a large motor factors in Leeds at the moment, have done for 13 years and health and safety is big even in that game, hi-viz when in the warehouse or in the yard, van drivers wear them, steel toe boots etc etc so that is one thing I would expect is high on the list…

Once my licence is back I am going to do the driver CPC and the refresher the latter just for my piece of mind and to get the “feel” again, … think the last thing I drove a lot off at the contract hire place was Scania 111,112’s, 141,142 (I think those models are correct) old Volvo F10, F12 … so I think they may have moved on a lot lol…

I have been told by a number of training companies as I held my HGV licence prior to 2007 I only need to sit the 35 hours periodic training rather than the full thing, which I am actually looking forward too, I do read LGV websites and keep up with things reading the Transport Manager and Operators handbooks which I buy every couple of years or so, just to keep me updated on things

Thanks again…

Stuart

LGVStuart:
I have been told by a number of training companies as I held my HGV licence prior to 2007 I only need to sit the 35 hours periodic training rather than the full thing

The “full thing” takes about 20 minutes and consists of a multiple choice theory test, a walk around vehicle check and being able to undo a ratchet strap.
Rather that than 35 hours in the classroom

robroy:
Hey Stuart.

Great summary and advise mate! [emoji23][emoji1303]so true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LGVStuart:

robroy:
Hey Stuart.

Hi

I must admit I love automatics, one of my cars is one and I love it, easy to drive, great in traffic, could be I am just a lazy sod deep down really lol

I work in the head office of a large motor factors in Leeds at the moment, have done for 13 years and health and safety is big even in that game, hi-viz when in the warehouse or in the yard, van drivers wear them, steel toe boots etc etc so that is one thing I would expect is high on the list…

Once my licence is back I am going to do the driver CPC and the refresher the latter just for my piece of mind and to get the “feel” again, … think the last thing I drove a lot off at the contract hire place was Scania 111,112’s, 141,142 (I think those models are correct) old Volvo F10, F12 … so I think they may have moved on a lot lol…

I have been told by a number of training companies as I held my HGV licence prior to 2007 I only need to sit the 35 hours periodic training rather than the full thing, which I am actually looking forward too, I do read LGV websites and keep up with things reading the Transport Manager and Operators handbooks which I buy every couple of years or so, just to keep me updated on things

Thanks again…

Stuart

You’re very knowledgeable and obviously experienced driving lorries so it isn’t going to be a problem at all, u have a great attitude as in keeping up to date with the evolution of the industry etc! You’ll be fine mate and I wish u all the best [emoji1303]

Chris Cooke:

LGVStuart:

robroy:
Hey Stuart.

Hi

Thanks again…

Stuart

You’re very knowledgeable and obviously experienced driving lorries so it isn’t going to be a problem at all, u have a great attitude as in keeping up to date with the evolution of the industry etc! You’ll be fine mate and I wish u all the best [emoji1303]

Thank you, I have tried to keep up with things, just need to build confidence when/if I do get a job… Although I have had a very positive reply today from a Company i would like to work for… honesty pays :slight_smile:

Need to get all my paperwork in order, licence back, CPC and tachograph card then call him to arrange an interview and an assessment the week after …

I am hoping to get all in order by end of October early November… fingers crossed :slight_smile:

I sent my HGV renewal back special delivery last Friday, 23rd… I know they would be closed until Tuesday as it was a Bank Holiday… I confirmed with the Post Office “track and Trace” that it had been signed for, and it was at 5.39 on the Saturday morning… I also confirmed with the DVLA that they had received it… which they said they had…

It takes up to 3 weeks for them to issue the new licence, maybe longer if they need to check the medical or personal details… As far as I know the medical looked perfect…

Why does it seem like a eternity waiting lol… the DVLA online licence check still shows the 30/9/2019 as the expiry :frowning:

The Tachograph card may be here before my licence…

Once I get it back I can do the Driver CPC and refresher and then contact the companies that want me to do so… fingers crossed one of those will go well and I can get out of a dead end motor trade job…

I appreciate that as my current HGV does not run out until the end of September there is nothing stopping me starting the CPC and the refresher, but you never know with the DVLA, I have waited years to make the move so a few more weeks wont matter :wink:

idrive:

LGVStuart:
I have been told by a number of training companies as I held my HGV licence prior to 2007 I only need to sit the 35 hours periodic training rather than the full thing

The “full thing” takes about 20 minutes and consists of a multiple choice theory test, a walk around vehicle check and being able to undo a ratchet strap.
Rather that than 35 hours in the classroom

Agreed. Surely the initial cpc is the easiest of the 2. Quick multiple choice then a couple of hours learning how to first parade a truck and you’re out of there

I don’t think you’ll struggle with reversing or the size of the vehicle, what I reckon will be more of a challenge compared to the 1980s will be that you will feel like you are trying to drive a double deck bus while sitting on the top deck. With the exception of the DAF CF and Volvo FM virtually everything else is about 2 ft taller than it was … unless of course you drove a Magnum before.

cav551:
I don’t think you’ll struggle with reversing or the size of the vehicle, what I reckon will be more of a challenge compared to the 1980s will be that you will feel like you are trying to drive a double deck bus while sitting on the top deck. With the exception of the DAF CF and Volvo FM virtually everything else is about 2 ft taller than it was … unless of course you drove a Magnum before.

Hi

That is why I want to do a refresher just to get used to things again, hopefully it will be like a "duck to water! again lol… will be a bit worried and the first reverse or two may be a bit comical lol

On a plus my licence came back today along with the tachograph card so just need to sort the driver CPC now and I am up to date :slight_smile:

And as a bonus, spoke to a large company yesterday that I emailed a couple of weeks ago, off to have a chat Friday, fingers crossed it may be a good sign…

Stuart