IPAF

Has anyone on here done this sort of work?
Done some mini plant (bromags and bowsers) and was wondering if these are similar to carry and secure.
Be a learning curve.
Thanks for any advice.

Yep was my previous job , deliver /collect cherry pickers /scissor lifts . Will take a couple of months to get used to the different types , how to load them ,how many you can get on and where etc . Easy enough to secure .
I did it for 2 1/2 years was a decent job till it turned to ■■■■ :frowning:
Who you thinking of working for ?

Thanks for your reply.
A firm called AFI.
I start next week.
I was wondering what it’s like as I’ve never carried those things about.
Like I say I did the odd small plant job when I was on tippers.
I am looking forward to it.
It’s a massive change to what I’m doing now.
Or was doing :smiley:

The equipment is easy enough to secure but it will be a case of trial and error in knowing how to position the load. One thing I will say is make sure your always aware of the height. To get some machines on you might have to raise the booms and basket to get whatever else on or the height of the sciisor lifts. I don’t miss this kind of work but good luck to you.

Thanks for those little insights.
Been doing fridge and RDCs for the nigh on 4 years and this will be a whole new ball game.
Sounds very similar to mini plant.

Would be surprised if they don’t give you a course on how to operate them esp the cherry pickers. Luckily most can be driven from controls on side (if they are self driven) but still take some getting used to.

Any I’ve seen usually have the basket sideways and ha e to be adjusted as they come off the ramp to ensure they don’t tip.

I am to sit a couse on how to operate and load Trev but it’s just nice to hear a drivers experience.
Thanks for your advice.

For securing them down, they are generally one of the best as they usually have well marked tie down points, and are mostly clean, unless you get an odd tracked one. Some scissor lifts have fork lift pockets in the base so can be lifted on and off with a fork truck/telehandler.

Steve66:
I am to sit a couse on how to operate and load Trev but it’s just nice to hear a drivers experience.
Thanks for your advice.

For your training you’ll be on piddly wee machines in a warehouse moving through some cones . Don’t get too confident because when you get harnessed into a big un and you’re expected to drive it up onto a trailer you’ll realise how completely unprepared you are haha.

We have a Genie 125 and some smaller JLG’s that get moved between our plants for the maintenance boys to use. Unfortunately I’m one of the “trained” drivers who gets asked to do it once or twice a month and I really don’t enjoy it. If you do it regularly obviously you build up confidence getting them on and off but I just don’t do it often enough. Securing them is easy enough though, chains pulling in opposite directions using the built in securing points.

The key is to realise that as long as your trailers level there really is no chance of tipping the machine off the back.

Be confident and trust the machine you are loading.

I remember driving a 3cx onto the back of a trailer for the first time and nearly pooping my pants. Once i got used to it vould literally do it with my eyes shut. Just keep the trailer level or rigid beavertail.

Some really good advice here fellas.
I appreciate it all.
Bit daunting but looking forward to it.

You should be fine with AFI , a big company and you’ll get all your IPAF tickets and be sent out with another driver till your ready to be let loose on your own .
Like has been said you’ll only do ipaf training on the smaller machines .
I picked up a big JLG super boom machine from your Liverpool depot and returned it to the West Brom depot and the guys were helpful when I needed a few tips on how to load and stow it for transport . I’d never driven such a big machine before :blush:

I worked for a smaller company with 6 depots( GT Access) and wouldn’t recommend them at all :imp:

Good luck it will be a steep learning curve to start , a doddle after a couple of months !

The height issue as mentioned , we had height measuring sticks like the car transport guys use .

IMG_0384.JPGLet’s show you a couple of pics

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

Barge :unamused:

IMG_0426.JPG

That’s a mixed bag of gear there Mikey.
When I went for the interview the yard was full of equipment like that.
You described them as they described themselves.
Intense training for 2 weeks etc.
Does every machine require chains and straps or or chains only?
Sorry if that’s naive.

I don’t mean run without anything on them at all :smiley:

I tended to use just straps on the smaller electric scissors ,straps to stop any baskets bouncing around if there resting on another machine or if the baskets out the back .
Chains for everything else .
I doubt a reputable company like afi would expect you too Carry a stupid amount of machines like we did :unamused: .

Let us know how it goes :wink:

I will do.
You’ve been a big help.
I’ll keep you posted.