One for the newbies.......when we used to "DRIVE" the truck

youtube.com/watch?v=9p0v7phwiTs

weewulliewinkie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p0v7phwiTs

Be questions asked about that thing in his left hand…

dave docwra:

weewulliewinkie:

Thought it was going to be a Yorkie bar or something interesting!

I’ve used most type of boxes, from David Browns, Fullers, Spicers, to synchromesh ZFs, .
I once drove a Sed Atk with a 13spd Eaton Fuller home from South Wales with a knackered clutch release., and I took my test on a horrible ■■■■ thing, a Dodge that resembled a stick in a bucket,… so I’ve nowt to prove.

However…Would I go back to manuals?..Would I ■■■■.
Could not be arsed tbh, autoboxes are so much easier, and anything for an easy life for me nowadays.

Only negative side of them is it now enables a complete ■■■■ whit to drive a truck and pass a test, hence the abundance of idiots with Class 1s today.

A bit of a wimp though; he’s got power steering and a knob on the wheel.

When I started - everything was manual except the brakes had vacuum assistance. Would you believe that we had to wind a handle to open and close the window?

It’s the knob and the mosquito bar that stopped me watching to the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
It’s the knob and the mosquito bar that stopped me watching to the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too.

dave docwra:

weewulliewinkie:

It’s a truck not a forklift so he needs to learn how to palm a wheel before using a fuller. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

robroy:
I’ve used most type of boxes, from David Browns, Fullers, Spicers, to synchromesh ZFs, .
I once drove a Sed Atk with a 13spd Eaton Fuller home from South Wales with a knackered clutch release., and I took my test on a horrible [zb] thing, a Dodge that resembled a stick in a bucket,… so I’ve nowt to prove.

However…Would I go back to manuals?..Would I [zb].
Could not be arsed tbh, autoboxes are so much easier, and anything for an easy life for me nowadays.

Only negative side of them is it now enables a complete [zb] whit to drive a truck and pass a test, hence the abundance of idiots with Class 1s today.

Yep. Similar pedigree here.

I was the first at our mill to get a Volvo i-Shift, on a little FM9 6-wheeler. Picked it up from our Presteigne mill to drive it back to Carmarthen , which gives you some idea of the route taken, not exactly what you’d call mototrway miles; my first impression was that it seemed to be changing up a lot earlier than I would using a comparable manual box. Thinking that it would take me ages to get back, I was surprised to find it actually took about the same time, and over the course of a few similar runs it was using considerably less fuel.

The rest of the drivers were predictably cynical; …“best leave the towing hitch in mate, you’ll get stuck on every farm you go to”, “any excuse to drag the day out a bit” and similar. Only once had to be pulled out by a tractor, and that scenario would have defeated a manual double drive. The biggest difference was that at the end of a heavy day on Welsh farm lanes, my left hip no longer ached like I’d been on a 20 mile route march.

Bit like roping and sheeting; it’s a good feeling that I know how to do it, but glad I no longer have to.

Sidevalve:
Bit like roping and sheeting; it’s a good feeling that I know how to do it, but glad I no longer have to.

Yep, that’s it in a nutshell…same here.

About twice as many gear changes as necessary, splitting gears in low range on the flat is ridiculous and I’m glad I’m not buying the front tyres the way he’s twirling that steering wheel. One positive is that he starts in 1st gear, but then it all goes horribly wrong from that point.

That’s the same lorry in the video as mine ,I consider it modern .

I think we should stick all these “real” drivers back into the piles of junk that they remember with rose tinted specs and see how quickly they want to return to the modern world. Nostalgia is not all its cracked up to be.

no1dieselman:
I think we should stick all these “real” drivers back into the piles of junk that they remember with rose tinted specs and see how quickly they want to return to the modern world. Nostalgia is not all its cracked up to be.

Don’t include me in that, I’ve already said I don’t want to go back to all that. :smiley:

no1dieselman:

Yeah right absolute undriveable heaps they were all of em. :unamused:

youtube.com/watch?v=To0wN9LjBF8

youtube.com/watch?v=sbGpzZvoXwk

Carryfast:

dave docwra:

weewulliewinkie:

It’s a truck not a forklift so he needs to learn how to palm a wheel before using a fuller. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

What’s that got to do with his left hand?

Reef:

Carryfast:

What’s that got to do with his left hand?

Learn how to steer it ‘properly’ with his right hand first ( it’s not a forklift ) before droning on about preferring to use a Fuller box with his left. :smiling_imp: ( On that note the 16 speed synchro in the DAF 85 etc was arguably as close as a synchro box ever got to being as good to use as a Fuller ). :wink:

Oh look the days before anyone knew what elephant racing meant.It can’t be true it must be rose tinted specs. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=UWFfKGaohxc

Jesus wept, a 2001 foden? The lorry I drive now is older than that and I’m only 35.

Learnt to drive in a 1986 leyland freighter.

Passed my hgv test in 2006, so I guess not a newbie but not an old ■■■■ either.
I still use analogue tachos, manual splitter boxes, my lorry doesn’t even have electric windows. :unamused:

Santa:
A bit of a wimp though; he’s got power steering and a knob on the wheel.

When I started - everything was manual except the brakes had vacuum assistance. Would you believe that we had to wind a handle to open and close the window?

Handles to open the windows. What about the ones that you slide open and shut.
If my memory serves me well some of the old Leylands and AEC’s had them. :smiley: