Weighbridges and individual axle loads

For years I used what I believe was a fairly standard weighbridge, just the one big metal plate that fits the whole truck on it. But it occurs to me now that for all I knew I might still have had overloading on individual axles, I never worried about it because most of the time I was driving a 32T eight-legger, which only rarely got even remotely close to maximum weight, so I reckoned it was probably OK. Was I right? and if I wasn’t, how could I have found out what weight was on an individual axle? And if I’d been stopped by VOSA would they have accepted my excuse that AFAIK it was OK because it was within the total weight limit?

If the bridge is ground level, put axle 1 one the plate and get weight, put second axle on the plate and get weight and subtract the axle 1 weight for the weight of axle 2, weight 3 axles and take weight of 1 and 2 off for axle 3 weight, and so on.
Or coming off the bridge, gross weight, then pull first axle off re weigh and difference is axle one, 2 axles off weight difference is axle 1 and 2, subtract axle 1 of 2 axle weight, and so.
If the weight bridge is above ground, you can do the same, but it wont be quite as accurate. going up the ramp the front will be slightly lighter, and the rear slightly heaver. the opposite facing downhill.
DVSA, can prosecute for axle overloads. I would guess with the right attitude, and if you’ve tried to check they would give you the option of adjusting the load to correct it, handball, shovel, tip slightly to slide load back, break heavy to slide forwards if tipper, using pump truck, moffet, crane.

pig pen:
If the bridge is ground level, put axle 1 one the plate and get weight, put second axle on the plate and get weight and subtract the axle 1 weight for the weight of axle 2, weight 3 axles and take weight of 1 and 2 off for axle 3 weight, and so on.
Or coming off the bridge, gross weight, then pull first axle off re weigh and difference is axle one, 2 axles off weight difference is axle 1 and 2, subtract axle 1 of 2 axle weight, and so.

Add up all the individual axle weights as above then compare with total gross weight for a double check and I guarantee they will be the same
I used to do this a lot when I worked for a steel company with their own weighbridge

Cheers for the replies guys. I’m pleased I’m not doing that particular job these days as I can just imagine the stick I’d get from the boss for weighing each axle in succession - for reference this guy once gave me grief for doing my start of shift walkaround check, saying “when I say I want something done I want it done straight away” :confused:

Zac_A:
this guy once gave me grief for doing my start of shift walkaround check, saying “when I say I want something done I want it done straight away” :confused:

Sounds a proper charmer! I sincerely hope he gets exactly the drivers he deserves.