Them reels of paper that don’t need strapping

…all over the M6 this morning!!

Pics in the article.

stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st … er-2860405

There’s massive delays on the M62 as well, last traffic update on the radio said from j22 back to j26

May be it was being driven by a truck net poster :smiley: the one who just puts a cross over the back or who drives to the road as it they put it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Make me so gland I’m on the A470 heading back to Southampton

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Punchy Dan:
May be it was being driven by a truck net poster :smiley: the one who just puts a cross over the back or who drives to the road as it they put it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Or the one who says he’s been driving 30 years, never strapped reels and they’ve never moved. Well today sunshine your luck ran out :laughing:

Seriously though, very very lucky there wasn’t a car next to where they’ve fallen out. 3 ton falling on a car from the top. No ones going to come out well from that are they.

Flip flop probably watching a dvd with his feet on the dash

Driving…

Into the back of another trailer isn’t good for any sort of loads stability.

Driving to the load means not stuffing up the 'arris of a stationary motor.

Must admit, i have loaded those many times…must use antislip mats, and theres a special way to strap them as well…was inducted on site and they had a lad who showed us how to do it…shame they have to be stood up…not laid down like they used to ( bowaters ) for eg…

Must admit, i have loaded those many times…must use antislip mats, and theres a special way to strap them as well…was inducted on site and they had a lad who showed us how to do it…shame they have to be stood up…not laid down like they used to ( bowaters ) for eg…

How things have worsened despite all thw technology rules regs box ticking training vosa dcpc etc.
Back in the day, those reels would have been on the roll, two or three layers high, back scotched, sheeted over and roped between the reels to pull the sheet down tight, then fly sheet over, you couldn’t shift the buggers even if you rammed your non autobraked abs stability controlled drum braked wagon up the arse of the vehicle in front :unamused:

Juddian:
How things have worsened despite all thw technology rules regs box ticking training vosa dcpc etc.
Back in the day, those reels would have been on the roll, two or three layers high, back scotched, sheeted over and roped between the reels to pull the sheet down tight, then fly sheet over, you couldn’t shift the buggers even if you rammed your non autobraked abs stability controlled drum braked wagon up the arse of the vehicle in front :unamused:

I wish we had a “Like “ button , well said Juddian let’s go back to proper habits !

Are curtainsiders one of the best worst inventions for the haulage industry? Seemingly solved the “problem” of roping an sheeting making life easier for drivers and saving time, but as a result opened a whole can of worms for securing loads properly.

Rowley010:
Are curtainsiders one of the best worst inventions for the haulage industry? Seemingly solved the “problem” of roping an sheeting making life easier for drivers and saving time, but as a result opened a whole can of worms for securing loads properly.

The worst invention is the modern day thumb in bum mind in neutral driver, not the equipment he’s in charge of.
New trailer such as Krone and Schmitz have reinforced curtains, and there’s lots of drivers who believe because they are stronger they’ll take the place of spansets, much like internal straps ideal for light loads but when it comes to a 3t reel then you may as well have used your wife’s knicker elastic.
Those reels were on paper, why is it ok in the U.K. to use paper when in Europe reels are placed on rubber matting to stop them from sliding.

Load safety and security should be part of the DCPC, but because it’s a money making scam and completely set up incorrectly, accidents such as this will increase due to incompetence of the driver

If curtains were clear or semi transparent it might help as curtains just hide the sins of those who don’t bother strapping.

Not sure of roping and sheeting would work for pallets (defo not for double deckers :slight_smile: ) but making employers more liable might help. Technically they are, but if there were decently big fines for obviously bad strapping going to the employer they might take a bit more seriously.

We’ve had all sorts fall over and fall off inc an entire ADR load of 1T pallets totally unstrapped, but zip effect it seems beyond saying we don’t want that agency driver again. Massive fines might wake them up and be more selective as to who they chose.

Oh and from what I’ve seen, its not jist the new drivers who don’t strap or just use internals. Scary how many drivers who should know better still figure it’ll never happen.

trevHCS:
If curtains were clear or semi transparent it might help as curtains just hide the sins of those who don’t bother strapping.

What a great idea let’s the thief’s see what on the vehicle when parked up at night. Why
You have such great ideas why not have fuel tanks made of glass so the diesel faires
know whick tanks to go for.

fingermissing:

trevHCS:

What a great idea let’s the thief’s see what on the vehicle when parked up at night. Why
You have such great ideas why not have fuel tanks made of glass so the diesel faires
know whick tanks to go for.

In all fairness it doesn’t matter what the curtains are made of, if the local tea leaves want to have a gander they’ll just ■■■■■ the curtains.

I know there’s a lot of places around Europe that once loaded a photograph is taken of the security of the load, so maybe the onus is on the loading point, but even then it should ultimately be the responsibility of the driver, after all he is suppose to be a professional or so the little card says :wink:

The strange thing is that the VOSA would get bent out of shape if they weren’t secured but would be quite satisfied with internal straps which would do absolutely nothing to stop the reels coming off the trailer in a collision.

Most places I have loaded reels have been very particular about load security, many checking before departure that the load is strapped and if these reels are from where I think then they are no exception . I see no straps in the photo but has it been said anywhere that there were none?

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

I just don’t get this when all this stuff is discussed, what is it with these people exactly? :neutral_face:
They know that they are required to strap everything these days by law.
They know if they get caught they get nicked.
They know that VOSA and the Old Bill are just out to get them… any excuse.
So why do they think it’s ok to run with unstrapped loads?? :unamused:

Only thing I can think of is they are stupid enough to be allowing themselves to be pushed,.so they aint got time.
Knob heads who deserve to get done, no excuses,.and if some poor sod has been killed because of them, chuck the key away.

robroy:
I just don’t get this when all this stuff is discussed, what is it with these people exactly? :neutral_face:
They know that they are required to strap everything these days by law.
They know if they get caught they get nicked.
They know that VOSA and the Old Bill are just out to get them… any excuse.
So why do they think it’s ok to run with unstrapped loads?? :unamused:

Only thing I can think of is they are stupid enough to be allowing themselves to be pushed,.so they aint got time.
Knob heads who deserve to get done, no excuses,.and if some poor sod has been killed because of them, chuck the key away.

Or even just the fact that if something unforeseen happens they might fall off?