Hung out to dry, what are they on?

Twice today, different cars, same town.

Pulled out to let a bloke out of a dual carriageway slip road, he drove along beside my cab for about half a mile, then after dropping back slightly gradually eased ahead, eventually coming off at the next junction, indicators presumably optional on Citroen Grand Picarseole.

Bit later on, 2 lane becomes 3 lane, single lane slip road joins from the left. I’m in the inside lane which then becomes the middle lane, chap comes down the joining lane and runs along beside the cab n/s again, till eventually he also pulls ahead after nearly a mile.

Now i know its sod all in the grand scheme of things and this isn’t any grand drama, but i did wonder were they hoping for a side swipe compo claim?, or where they simply in their own little world with not a clue there was anything beside them?
My speed, direction of travel etc never altered, and no hooting or other reactions from me, and yes i know i was an idiot (courtesy days of yor, you’d think i’d have learned by now they’re long over) to have pulled over to let the first car on, but not sure he even noticed i was there as he came up the slip so would probably have run into the side of the tractor unit had i not pulled over.

Seen rather a lot of car/van drivers having to anchor up sharply on slip roads beside other lorries recently, when they’ve finally (after about 500 yards of acceleration lane :unamused: ) realised there was a bloody great wagon beside them all along.
Darwinism, or what?

I have noticed that driving standards among all road users seem to be in decline lately, also had other drivers say this as well.

It always amazes me how certain people wang down the on-slip without watching the mirror and adjusting the speed to merge, Juddian. If they know it’s a give-way line they think you have to give way. Or cars creeping along. In this day and age of 56mph limiters and decent cars,a lorry shouldn’t ever have to pass a car on an A or M road

Yesterday was on the a49 near Warrington and there’s road works /temp lights
1 lane at a time.
Way I was travelling ment left lane was closed so had to move over to the right when lights changed.
There was a huge que I was about 5th in line at the ights they changed and some idiot in a modeo was speeding from the back someware flat out down the wrong side of the road cutting up about 20 cars to get to the front

Nobby_Clarke:
It always amazes me how certain people wang down the on-slip without watching the mirror and adjusting the speed to merge, Juddian. If they know it’s a give-way line they think you have to give way. Or cars creeping along. In this day and age of 56mph limiters and decent cars,a lorry shouldn’t ever have to pass a car on an A or M road

I even get it and my truck does 51mph , the amount of times a car has braked at end of slip road and panicked instead of just booting it and coming out , even though they’re matching my speed all the way along the slip road

Been out of the saddle for 3 weeks and can’t say I’m missing it, my car hasn’t been used as much, and tbh spending more time in my car in and about town ( places I wouldn’t take a truck ) I’ve noticed the appalling standard of driving and at times I feel as if I’m an endangered species, male, female, young, old, car, van, 4x4, Luton’s, Taxi, minibus, coach no one has consideration for other road users, there’s a severe lack of understanding of the Highway Code and pedestrians using crossings take their lives in their own hands.

Nobby_Clarke:
It always amazes me how certain people wang down the on-slip without watching the mirror and adjusting the speed to merge

I find when im in the car some people get up to 70mph going down long slips roads only to look at the lorry in the inside lane and slow down to 40mph to get behind him when if they just kept going we could join in front.

Nobby_Clarke:
In this day and age of 56mph limiters and decent cars,a lorry shouldn’t ever have to pass a car on an A or M road

On the motorway I find it annoying overtaking a car when running 3.5m-4m wide loads, they should get 3 points if im using the 2nd and 3rd lane to overtake them :laughing:

Yeah, we’ve watched the standards drop over time, in all vehicles, but between the aggression, the pushing in, carving up, bullying and the lemming type of suicidal maneuvers where too often they only live because some other driver, often enough in a lorry, has seen what they are doing and taken preventative action to save their skins for them…well i for one would be quite happy to just go live in a little cottage in the middle of bloody nowhere and grow me own food.

Juddian:
Yeah, we’ve watched the standards drop over time, in all vehicles, but between the aggression, the pushing in, carving up, bullying and the lemming type of suicidal maneuvers where too often they only live because some other driver, often enough in a lorry, has seen what they are doing and taken preventative action to save their skins for them…well i for one would be quite happy to just go live in a little cottage in the middle of bloody nowhere and grow me own food.

Until postman pat decides to take a short cut and ploughs through your homegrown veg patch because he can’t be arsed walking up your path to post the junk mail supermarket flyers :laughing:

GORDON 50:
I have noticed that driving standards among all road users seem to be in decline lately, also had other drivers say this as well.

Lately as over the last 10yrs lately?

What Ive noticed is car drivers now seem to be scared of their own shadow, wont accelerate, wont make progress if fact wont make anything at all!

Maidstone today in car with wife driving 4th car in the right handlane and and old FH 06 wag and drag empty left lane who was in a proper rush, I said to wife its a sad sad world where 15 plus ton of old turdy truck/trailer can beat the cars off the lights tme after time

GORDON 50:

It’s not so much driving standards that are in decline, it’s people’s attitudes to others in general that has declined. There seems to be a lot more selfish ignorant people about these days and it is reflected in their driving. The amount of people who go in a shop and look up from their phone just long enough to grunt at the person behind the counter is staggering, no manners at all. So behind the wheel it is no wonder they drive the way they do when cocooned in their own little safe place if that’s how they behave face to face. It’s the London effect spreading to the rest of the country

It’s the oddest thing isn’t it…

Matey boy in his Audi matching me all the way down the slip road level with my front bumper and then slamming all on and pulling across behind me only to then, roar down the outside of me in lane 2 showing me what a powerful car he has.

Pass me in any lane you want at any speed you wanna achieve I really don’t care how you pass me… just pass me dammitt!

Juddian:
Seen rather a lot of car/van drivers having to anchor up sharply on slip roads beside other lorries recently, when they’ve finally (after about 500 yards of acceleration lane :unamused: ) realised there was a bloody great wagon beside them all along.
Darwinism, or what?

To be fair it’s just as likely to be the result of selfish drivers tailgating thereby allowing no space for merging traffic as opposed to the totally different scenario of those who fail to merge correctly.Bearing in mind that most cars can can easily out run a truck at an entry slip given a sufficient gap between vehicles in lane 1.

In addition to the situation of muppets who deliberately either slow down or accelerate to match the speed of merging traffic to block it.You can guarantee that some muppet,possibly crash for cash scammers,will try that stunt 5 out of 10 times. Sometimes also including truck v truck incidents.There’s also the other numerous variations including obviously blocking patiently waiting to overtake traffic in lane 1 and then braking for no reason in lane 2 when they’ve gone ahead and the waiting vehicle then makes their lane change behind.

While under modern day traffic conditions it’s arguably time to change the rules to give way to merging or lane changing traffic.

Stick your n/s indicator on.Normally gets their attention.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

yourhavingalarf:
It’s the oddest thing isn’t it…

Matey boy in his Audi matching me all the way down the slip road level with my front bumper and then slamming all on and pulling across behind me only to then, roar down the outside of me in lane 2 showing me what a powerful car he has.

Pass me in any lane you want at any speed you wanna achieve I really don’t care how you pass me… just pass me dammitt!

Used to happen to me a lot but it only counts if they blow the horn or give you the one finger salute as they roar past, if your very lucky they’ll do both :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing:

Due to the ignorant ■■■■■ in the past i stay where i am and they have 2 choices either speed up or slow down…

Its safer than being hung out to dry in the middle lane looking like a bigger ■■■■ than normal…
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Going past Fleet services W bound years ago and see a car going very slowly on the joining slip.
“That’s fine” I think “they’ll slot in behind me”.
Did they ■■■■! Straight out in front of me, 40mph at the most. Luckily nothing behind them as I nearly passed them on the hard shoulder.
Don’t think they noticed.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

I had a cracking game of chicken today in Leicester. Two lanes into one after a roundabout, in fairness I should have ideally been in the left hand lane but I was in the right hand lane.

Eased off so I could merge into lane 1, but some knob in a van decided to speed up to teach me a lesson :unamused: It was a good effort on his part in all honesty, a full on continuous horn blast whilst accelerating hard from my trailer wheels right up to the side of my diesel tank.

But that’s when his bottle went and his nearside wheels mounted the kerb in order to not get wiped out :laughing:

Beaver 1 ■■■■ crack 0

Carryfast:
To be fair it’s just as likely to be the result of selfish drivers tailgating thereby allowing no space for merging traffic as opposed to the totally different scenario of those who fail to merge correctly.Bearing in mind that most cars can can easily out run a truck at an entry slip given a sufficient gap between vehicles in lane 1.

In addition to the situation of muppets who deliberately either slow down or accelerate to match the speed of merging traffic to block it.You can guarantee that some muppet,possibly crash for cash scammers,will try that stunt 5 out of 10 times. Sometimes also including truck v truck incidents.There’s also the other numerous variations including obviously blocking patiently waiting to overtake traffic in lane 1 and then braking for no reason in lane 2 when they’ve gone ahead and the waiting vehicle then makes their lane change behind.

While under modern day traffic conditions it’s arguably time to change the rules to give way to merging or lane changing traffic.

Generally there is a space in front of me of between 50-100m when I’m going by slip roads but cars still like to sit along side matching speed or even slowing down to squeeze into the 3m space behind rather than accelerate into the huge gap, do you really want people having to slam on brakes on a motorway to let inept fools merge at 30mph

99% of car drivers dont even check there mirrors until the last 10ft of sliproad, i even had a woman passenger shout at me that i was supposed to stop and let them out :open_mouth: