So we won't be able to sleep in the cab anymore

This is a bit worrying, if I’m on a nine hour rest at the services, I’d rather sleep in my own bed in the cab than start booking into a hotel, what do you think?

Sploom:
This is a bit worrying, if I’m on a nine hour rest at the services, I’d rather sleep in my own bed in the cab than start booking into a hotel, what do you think?

As long as its paid for [emoji23]

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a load of baloney.

I know there’s a effort to stop WEEKLY rest being taken in a cab (or at least without facilities) but not heard anything about DAILY rests

fleetspeak.co.uk/is-the-industr … es-easier/

Sorry, forgot to put the link.
I’m sure they will pay but I’d rather not have the bother of it, give drivers the choice, if they want to

Ban for Truck drivers to sleep in the cabin only in place for the weekly restime
December 10th, 2018 Ralph Meyer
Brussels. After long negotiations EU member states have agreed on Dezember 4, 2018 on new regulations for resttime for international truck drivers.

The ban for truck drivers on sleeping in the cabin decided by the EU transport ministers applies – unlike shortly before announced – only for the weekly resttime. “In order to ensure adequate working conditions for drivers, the weekly rest period must be spent outside the cabine,” reads the press release published Tuesday by the EU Council. For the rest of the nights the truck drivers are allowed to sleep in the cabin.

“There is an absolute cabin sleep ban throughout the European Union harmonizing without exceptions”, Austria’s Transport Minister Norbert Hofer (FPÖ) had said after the meeting in Brussels. However, a spokeswoman for the EU Council made clear to the German Press Agency (dpa) that this applies only to the weekly rest period, not for the overnight stay after a regular shift.

uicr.org/ban-for-truck-drivers- … y-restime/

Dont Panic! Dont Panic!

Ah, OK, nice one.

Seems it will be OK to sleep in a tent in a lay-bye alongside the truck. That came from an East European driver heard chatting in the services.
I always slept better in my cab when I was doing nights out.

Most…

Weekend breaks I ever had in Europe, I’d find a hotel and crash out there.

Martin:
Seems it will be OK to sleep in a tent in a lay-bye alongside the truck. That came from an East European driver heard chatting in the services.

They’ve been trying that in France and bellygum, and the authorities have stopped it . As long as you have access to proper washing and toilet facilities you can stay in the cab, Eg services or trucks stop.

UK plc don’t give toss as there aren’t enough suitable places.

biggriffin:

Martin:

They’ve been trying that in France and bellygum, and the authorities have stopped it . As long as you have access to proper washing and toilet facilities you can stay in the cab, Eg services or trucks stop.

UK plc don’t give toss as there aren’t enough suitable places.

I seem to recall the French regs have a minimum standard of accomodation required, included room size etc, for a full weekly rest.
I have in the last few years seen some trucks parked in those cheap Frenxh hotel car parks, so I assume at least some operators are putting drivers in them.

Martin:

They don’t…

Help themselves do they.

Give them 80 odd hour working weeks and they fit interupters.

Legislate that they must have somewhere decent to kip for at least a few days a month and they go and buy a tent.

:unamused:

Despite all the bullcrap from daymen, ie :smiley: the old ‘‘sleeping in a tin box’’ routine, :unamused: , I have never had a problem with it.
What could be more convenient…all your kit at hand with added personal home comforts, and warmth, instead of parking up, and having the hassle of finding digs …that are probably crap anyway.
That said though, it will never happen.

If they are so intent on making life better for drivers, sort out tacho regs, then cut down the ridiculously long hours… and bring pay in line with them for a start.

There are many things wrong with this bloody ob that needs improvement, cabbing it aint one of them. :bulb:

From “digging it” in Europe I’d rather stay in my cab than in some Formula One type hotel… or a Premiere Classe with the convenience of being able to sit on the toilet emptying your bowels whilst having a shower in the same moment or the ambience if a sealed plastic murder chamber that can be hosed out ready for the next guest/victim.

toonsy:
From “digging it” in Europe I’d rather stay in my cab than in some Formula One type hotel… or a Premiere Classe with the convenience of being able to sit on the toilet emptying your bowels whilst having a shower in the same moment or the ambience if a sealed plastic murder chamber that can be hosed out ready for the next guest/victim.

You don’t exist on the cheapest pot noodles, biscuits and coca-cola when you’re on a night out do you? So why just choose a cheapo hotel? If your boss won’t shell out for a half decent one, don’t weekend out.
The rules are trying to raise the standards a little.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

toonsy:

You don’t exist on the cheapest pot noodles, biscuits and coca-cola when you’re on a night out do you? So why just choose a cheapo hotel? If your boss won’t shell out for a half decent one, don’t weekend out.

In fairness these weren’t for week ending, they were for daily rests so they’ll do for 11hrs but any longer than that would be a struggle.

toonsy:

Franglais:

toonsy:

In fairness these weren’t for week ending, they were for daily rests so they’ll do for 11hrs but any longer than that would be a struggle.

Reduced rest or 44h59 min can legaly sleep in any county.But driver sleep any rest.Police hunt 5 driver a week qho sleep in truck regular rest.Post at Twitter and most old people happy.

In immingham most nights, any spare bit of land will have a bobtail truck (often surrounded by litter) I went though immingham on Sunday evening, the Lorry park was crammed with mainly ee trucks.
Including lots of Estonia car transporter.
I think it’s possible that vosa are sending them to somewhere where they have access to running water.
Not one of the patches of putrid mud alongside the duel carriageway had a single truck.

Martin:

Me too, when home at weekend unit was usually parked on the driveway, and more than once I crept down the stairs and got into bed in the truck, the usual 4-5 nights out made me accustomed to the truck bed

Is it ok if I can still have my afternoon snooze with my feet on the dash.?

This has been bouncing around for some time, and if there was a total ban, the French drivers would have been on strike by now, I also believe that this is a ploy by the Eu to put a stop to drivers sleeping in laybys without facilities like water and toilets. Most of Europe does have the basic facilities in their laybys, and obviously, in the services, there are showers too. All of us that did the very long journeys knew where to park for the best, much the same as Europe, but facilities few and far between once outside…but homemade showers one could make, and no one batted an eyelid…i stick 2 fingers up to the eu, and sincerely hope we can leave them to their own devices, and rules they make up as they go along, at least ours are set in statute.