Truck = American

Well I call it a lorry, always have and most likely always will :smiley:

I don’t call a pavement a side-walk.
I don’t call a bonnet a hood.
I dond’t call an artic a semi.
so why would I call a lorry a truck :grimacing:

Wagon

Heavy Goods Vehicle.

The very last thing we should be importing is more Americanisms into our language (which is suffering quite enough already), don’t get me wrong i like Americans and their way of life and i respect the USA and it’s current President, but they have their own way of speaking English and all the more power to their elbow, and we have our own way of speaking and spelling English too.

Lorry it is.

Lorry, always has been here in Great Britain.

In the US the common term for an ‘artic’ is truck or tractor trailer but another well used term is 18 wheeler as they count every tire (tyre) except when a 3 axle tractor is pulling a 3 axle trailer it would technically be a 22 wheeler but would usually still be called an 18 wheeler as most tractor trailers are 18 wheelers.

A rigid truck (lorry) is called a straight truck (lorry) but can also be known by how many tires (tyres) it has i.e a straight (rigid) truck (lorry) with 1 steer axle and 2 drive axles as a 10 wheeler because it has 10 tires (tyres). I know there’s a difference between a tipper and a dump truck but over here their all called dump trucks.

I’s funny how truck is infiltrating the language in the UK but lorry is never uttered over here. Well, sometimes by me when i want to confuse my fellow TRUCKers. :wink: :wink:

I’m off to look for my tongue, oh there it is, in my cheek. :blush:

So where does juggernaut come into this or is that just what we get called when “thundering” through villages at 10mph?

As for what I call it, usually truck as it sounds less whimpy than lorry and fits in better with my checked shirt and baseball cap image. :open_mouth:

Lorry.

Lorry driver= British

Trucker= American

Lorry, Wagon or HGV -UK

Truck, Tire and Reefer -US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It tends to be truck because that’s what everyone seems to use, though growing up it was lorry, and my lovely Dad was definitely a lorry driver.

animal:
Lorry = English

Truck = American

Australians and New Zealanders call them trucks in addition to it being an internationally understood term in which lorry makes as much sense to a Latin American operator as Camion does to a Scandinavian or Slav etc.Which probably explains why I helped to make and drove fire trucks for export around the world while they were never called fire lorries even here.Also maybe why it’s not called lorrynet uk. :bulb:

Lorrynet sponsored by Lorry & driver :wink: :wink:

Waggin

Carryfast:
Also maybe why it’s not called lorrynet uk. :bulb:

It’s called Truck Net UK Because Rikki developed it alongside Truck Net USA as a sister site there was also a Truck Net Canada too, interestingly the UK has outlived both the US and Ca sites…

So that kind of [zb]s on your point sorry to say CF :laughing:

Reef:

Carryfast:
Also maybe why it’s not called lorrynet uk. :bulb:

It’s called Truck Net UK Because Rikki developed it alongside Truck Net USA as a sister site there was also a Truck Net Canada too, interestingly the UK has outlived both the US and Ca sites…

So that kind of [zb]s on your point sorry to say CF :laughing:

Only if that means we’re about to see the rebranding to lorrynetuk with the colonial counterparts now out of the frame.Although have to say that from memory if the thing wasn’t called a truck it was usually more likely to be called a wagon,vehicle or a heap in plain old fashioned English by all concerned than a lorry. :wink:

Does it really matter? Call it what you want. There’s far more important things in life.

jakethesnake:
Does it really matter? Call it what you want. There’s far more important things in life.

So very true

Lorry, truck, motor, wagon… there doesn’t seem to be rhyme nor reason to which one I use when!

jakethesnake:

Having checked the forum rules, there is nothing requiring only serious topics to be discussed. I can’t see that it matters if people want to discuss mundane trivial things, it’s how the world works.

Put me down for…

Motor. As in ‘where’s my motor?’, ‘why’s he got my motor?’, ‘his motor is faster than mine’ and the old favourite ‘his motor’s a pig-sty’.