Pedestrian on motorway

First time I have had to make a call like this.

Saw two blokes walking up the southbound hard shoulder on the M5 earlier.

Who is the best people to call Police or Highways England?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

101 police non emergency number,they’ll decide whether it needs a blue light response.

Saw a deliveroo pushbike riding along the M60 hard shoulder through Stockport a while back. I beeped at him and he gave me a wave :smiley:

xichrisxi:
101 police non emergency number,they’ll decide whether it needs a blue light response.

Would give the local undertaker the heads up as well you never know you might get a bonus for giving him some business :smiley: :smiley:

Saw a woman a few years back, stood on the white line of the hard shoulder, trying to flag down passing traffic, while holding a kids hand.

Happens quite a bit on nights. I tend to 999 it. Never been told not to by them.

xichrisxi:

Never thought about that. In the heat of the moment called HE.

halewood:
Saw a woman a few years back, stood on the white line of the hard shoulder, trying to flag down passing traffic, while holding a kids hand.

Just the hand?

Where was the rest of the kid? I wouldn’t stop either or else she might end up waving my dismembered ■■■■■ around at the next batch of motorists!

toonsy:

halewood:

Just the hand?

Where was the rest of the kid? I wouldn’t stop either or else she might end up waving my dismembered ■■■■■ around at the next batch of motorists!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Once saw a bloke stood on hardshoulder of m25 just stood there. Bag in hand looking. It looked liked he was stood there waiting for someone picking him up.
I stoped at next emergency phone rang them they said yes we have him on camera a patrol is on the way

edd1974:
Once saw a bloke stood on hardshoulder of m25 just stood there. Bag in hand looking. It looked liked he was stood there waiting for someone picking him up.
I stoped at next emergency phone rang them they said yes we have him on camera a patrol is on the way

He’ll be with you shortly. He’s just fixing a puncture on his push bike.

if its happening now it’s 999, if its after the event 101.

999, 101 Highways, or roadside emergency phone (Which in most cases is the better option) you’ll get the same response, the job will be shared both on the police system, and on the HE system, depending on what type of pedestrian is reported, Kids, Drunks, etc will always get a police response as well as HE, someone walking along with fuel can etc. will get HE. (police if there is a patrol nearby)
Getting back to using the roadside phone, by doing that you will be speaking to a HE operator who will ask you just how far away from this phone the ped was, then they will set the correct amount of signals, if reported by mobile, usually it’s between J# to J# so then the signals have to stretch the whole length between the junctions. Now I don’t blame any of you folks for not wanting to stop on the H/S to do this, so look for one of the markerpost, then you can say something like “He’s approx 200 yds before markerpost 320/0, and I’m travelling northbound” that again helps to only set signals in the correct area, also gives a more definite location to look.

½K MP.jpg

xichrisxi:

Just for reference, he should call 999, that is an emergency and their life is in danger and then the police cad room will decide whether to send under emergency conditions or send the HE, they would more then likely send it over to the local HE RCC , and let them deal with it.

discoman:

xichrisxi:

Just for reference, he should call 999, that is an emergency and their life is in danger and then the police cad room will decide whether to send under emergency conditions or send the HE, they would more then likely send it over to the local HE RCC , and let them deal with it.

Just for reference,I’ll call 101 walking up the hard shoulder doesn’t render your life in immediate danger.

xichrisxi:

discoman:

xichrisxi:

Just for reference,I’ll call 101 walking up the hard shoulder doesn’t render your life in immediate danger.

The only prob with 101 you get put in a que it’s 999 they might be on the HS but they shouldn’t be there and you never know the state of mind their in .

When I spotted them they were between an exit slip and a bridge, that narrowed it down to about a quarter of a mile stretch.

When I checked the highways england website, being the nosey ■■■■■■■ that I am, only two sets of signals were showing pedestrians in road.

El Deano:
When I spotted them they were between an exit slip and a bridge, that narrowed it down to about a quarter of a mile stretch.

When I checked the highways england website, being the nosey [zb] that I am, only two sets of signals were showing pedestrians in road.

that means that whoever called it in (& sometimes you do get several calls) either did so from a SOS phone, or the peds were found on CCTV, so signals could be amended to what’s required, not for miles & miles between junctions.

We have had a problem for years with pedestrians on motorways in this area in the early hours . Usually recently dumped illegals .
I have always reported them via 999 . The markers alongside motorways SHOULD give an accurate location for the incident as they give the direction of travel or side of the motorway, the road number and the distance point on the road . Unfortunately not every operator is familiar with this system and many responders don’t seem to have been trained in the systems . If you use the SOS phone they are all numbered and this aids in pinpointing the location .

The problem with using the roadside phone is that you are putting yourself in unnecessary danger by stopping and getting out on the hard shoulder.