Tacho changed to other work

It must be newby question but why tacho changed from brake to other work when I switched ignition off and on? Looks like I have wasted 45 min.

Some of them are set like that (rather stupidly). MAN and Merc in my experience. It should be taken to a tacho centre and have the setting changed, in my opinion.

You could do a printout and explain what happened, and carry on, or if it suits you, have another 45! :slight_smile:

Drempels:
Some of them are set like that (rather stupidly). MAN and Merc in my experience. It should be taken to a tacho centre and have the setting changed, in my opinion.

You could do a printout and explain what happened, and carry on, or if it suits you, have another 45! :slight_smile:

DAF on this occasion, thank you.

IF it’s your regular ride speak to your TM or line manager about it and ask them if it can be adjusted the next time it goes in for service. If your a limper or cab hopper then I doubt you have little chance of getting them to do the same

milesahead:
It must be newby question but why tacho changed from brake to other work when I switched ignition off and on? Looks like I have wasted 45 min.

Tachographs can be set to default to any mode when the ignition is switched off, if you change vehicles regularly you will need to get into the habit of checking which ignition off mode the tachograph is set to.

This isn’t really a big problem as long as you know about it, in your case if you set the tachograph to break/rest then turn the ignition off you’ll notice that the mode symbol flashes other work for 5 seconds, during this 5 seconds while the mode symbol is flashing you can change back to break/rest without it affecting what’s written to your driver card.

Drempels:
Some of them are set like that (rather stupidly). MAN and Merc in my experience.

Mine too. I was forever picking up infringements because when I turned the ignition on to illuminate the display to see how much time on break I had, it would default to other work.

Especially annoying when you realize that everything a tachograph head does is entirely down to human programming.

WhiteTruckMan:

Drempels:
Some of them are set like that (rather stupidly). MAN and Merc in my experience.

Mine too. I was forever picking up infringements because when I turned the ignition on to illuminate the display to see how much time on break I had, it would default to other work.

Especially annoying when you realize that everything a tachograph head does is entirely down to human programming.

Exactly! I’ve sat there wondering who the ■■■■■■■ genius who decided to set it that way was, and WHY■■?

Drempels:

WhiteTruckMan:

Drempels:

Exactly! I’ve sat there wondering who the [zb] genius who decided to set it that way was, and WHY■■?

Someone who has never driven a lorry and they thought it was a good idea at the time

Drempels:
Some of them are set like that (rather stupidly).

I would say the majority and I find those that are set to turn to break are the stupidly set ones because if you think about it the majority of time you’ve turned off the ignition you’re then going on to do other work. The ones that automatically turn to break are a pain in the arse unless you’re not a professional driver and prefer to record every stationary moment with the engine turned off as a break.

I also cannot recall the last time I drove one with a tacho that switched mode when you turned on the ignition key. Must be one of the early tachos that did it if it ever did.

I once had a Iveco for about 2 weeks while my daf was having an mot etc.

everytime you turned ignition off it changed to break/rest . did my head in 1st day stoped for my 45 mins looked up realised. and just to make it worse the light on tacho didn’t work had keep holding phone up to see what mode it was on

It’s how they come set up from the manufacturer I always set them to no change on calibration ,though if the customer doesn’t specify it when when it is being PDI’d then most people won’t set it …im a bit of a rogue I just do it anyway :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: no complaints so far …It is a 2 min job ,though I have heard that it can now be done with a company card ,I do not know if it is true or not

Conor:

Drempels:
Some of them are set like that (rather stupidly).

I would say the majority and I find those that are set to turn to break are the stupidly set ones because if you think about it the majority of time you’ve turned off the ignition you’re then going on to do other work. The ones that automatically turn to break are a pain in the arse unless you’re not a professional driver and prefer to record every stationary moment with the engine turned off as a break.

Have to disagree everyone I have had is set to break when the ignition is switched off just set it to other work when required far better than having breaks disrupted because you turned the ignition on to open a window or times when rushing out of the lorry such as on ferries and you forget to change the mode and then discover you have just done 2 hours on other work and now need to take a 45 in Calais

As I read it, he had the ignition off and was on break. He switched the ignition on and the tacho changed mode by itself to other work.

That’s stupid.

Of course they should default to other work when you switch the ignition off, it would be daft to have it any other way in this day and age.

I should add, the ignition position should have nothing to do with the tachograph mode.

Drempels:
As I read it, he had the ignition off and was on break. He switched the ignition on and the tacho changed mode by itself to other work.

That’s stupid.

Of course they should default to other work when you switch the ignition off, it would be daft to have it any other way in this day and age.

I should add, the ignition position should have nothing to do with the tachograph mode.

1 first bit is correct ,sadly that is how VDO and Stoneridge set them…So if he switches the ign on to open a window it will change mode ,unless set to no change when having it’s inital calibration,then it will stay on what you set it to …obviously it will change as soon as you start driving ,it won’t stay on break when you start driving :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2…You are correct about default …the main issue is putting it on to break and if you then cycle the ignition to open that window then it goes to other work which is catching a lot of people out

3…i agree …if you have your break with the ign on then it isnt a issue …but they have a constant feed and an ign feed ,so the ignition feed in a way tells it we are ready to work so it defaults to it

4 i think most people like to change the mode themselves ,which is understandable ,then any errors are down to them and not the tacho

double post

IMO it’s fine for a tacho to bump to other work on starting the engine. What is NOT reasonable is ANY mode change just for turning on the ignition.

Just get a Volvo, stays were you put it till you drive off, as norb says down to the monkey who pdi said vehicle, seems that iveco default to rest, Man and berc default to other, and daf’s seem very random with settings. I would guess Reno’s being french do what ever they like.

My MAN goes to other work , but will stay on break if I put it on that

Stoneridge can be changed with the company card

Siemams needs the workshop card

stevieboy308:
Stoneridge can be changed with the company card

Siemams needs the workshop card

I had heard you could use a company card ,but didnt know it was only stoneridge …Does that also apply to the new siemens that is out…ieit now ejects the card in a tray ,though the front of the tray hinges down to get your card out …So gone are the heavy electric motors and it now has a plastic body like the stoneridge