Maritime Info

Does anyone know what the pay is per hour for maritime transport, how many hours until overtime is paid and what that rate is and also what the night out allowance is?

Thanks (DM me if you don’t want to publish it on here)

This is the basic Mon-Fri deal…

Basic pay is £500 a week. 55 hours, so £9.09 per hour.
£50 per week tax free meal allowance.
Overtime paid daily after 11 hours @ £11.25
Weekend overtime paid at £15
Night Out are £23.
Holiday pay is £580 per week (£116 a day).

Extras you might get are £10 for pulling a splitter trailer, £10 for each ADR load you pull, fuel bonus paid at xmas can be up to £1000.

That is disgraceful

Will wages ever go up? The hourly rates are barely anymore now than fifteen years ago when I first started.

Basic hourly rates are being kept low due to average holiday pay, the that’s why the big players give a larger tax free incentives, to bump the top line up, thus keeping the holiday pay low… Accountants ar,'nt daft

Overtime after 11 hours is naughty, but better than after 55 hours.

One can hope the pay is straight through, in theory that puts another 82p an hour on the basic 11 hour day, if my schoolboy maths is doing it’s job.
Plus the £10 a day meal money adds another 91p per hour over that 11 hour basic day, if compared to a job which doesn’t pay any meal allowance.

So if its paid straight through, it has to be compared with a job that pays £10.82 an hour that has 45 mins stopped?
Though when you look at that figure it makes the overtime rate look pitiful, maybe if the lads all stopped at 11 hours for a couple of weeks that might result in a rethink.

Or am i wrong.

Depending on the hours you do and what loads you pull the holiday pay rate might be illegal as holiday pay has to include overtime and bonuses now.

Juddian:

One can hope the pay is straight through, in theory that puts another 82p an hour on the basic 11 hour day, if my schoolboy maths is doing it’s job.
Plus the £10 a day meal money adds another 91p per hour over that 11 hour basic day, if compared to a job which doesn’t pay any meal allowance.

So if its paid straight through, it has to be compared with a job that pays £10.82 an hour that has 45 mins stopped?

Whats interesting is that the job that pays £10.82 an hour with 45 taken off would probably get “not too bad” in the responses on here because it’s in double figures, whereas £9.09 paid straight through with a £10 meal allowance gets “shocking” and “disgraceful”, despite the fact that with the tax break you actually end up with a few quid more in your pocket.

I think sometimes you really have to look at the full package when working out where you are going to be best off rather than just the hourly rate. In my experience, Mon-Fri day jobs in my region (north west) all offer pretty much the same remuneration, just made up differently. Some jobs (usually own account, although they are rarely Mon-Fri) might expect a few less hours, but then you have to weigh up how sociable those hours are and what suits you. For instance, I would rather do 11 hours mostly between 6am & 6pm than do 9 hours starting at 3am where you have to go to bed at 7pm so have no proper evening with family.

If you work out the whole package here it’s £28720 per year with £2400 of that being tax free, before any overtime or extras with no weekend work required and your clothes stay clean. You can do a lot worse & believe me I have tried to find much better and failed.

Anyone know what the 4 on 4 off pay is? I keep seeing that advertised near me and wonder what it might come away at allowing for the weekends workked

kcrussell25:
Anyone know what the 4 on 4 off pay is? I keep seeing that advertised near me and wonder what it might come away at allowing for the weekends workked

Chap I spoke to yesterday did 4 on 4 off out of MK and said he clears about 550 a week. Also said he’s on mandatory 6 on 2 off at the moment as it’s peak period so he’s clearing more obviously.

rob22888:

Juddian:

Whats interesting is that the job that pays £10.82 an hour with 45 taken off would probably get “not too bad” in the responses on here because it’s in double figures, whereas £9.09 paid straight through with a £10 meal allowance gets “shocking” and “disgraceful”, despite the fact that with the tax break you actually end up with a few quid more in your pocket.

I think sometimes you really have to look at the full package when working out where you are going to be best off rather than just the hourly rate. In my experience, Mon-Fri day jobs in my region (north west) all offer pretty much the same remuneration, just made up differently. Some jobs (usually own account, although they are rarely Mon-Fri) might expect a few less hours, but then you have to weigh up how sociable those hours are and what suits you. For instance, I would rather do 11 hours mostly between 6am & 6pm than do 9 hours starting at 3am where you have to go to bed at 7pm so have no proper evening with family.

If you work out the whole package here it’s £28720 per year with £2400 of that being tax free, before any overtime or extras with no weekend work required and your clothes stay clean. You can do a lot worse & believe me I have tried to find much better and failed.

Good point, i’d quite overlooked that £50 would be tax free (well until HMRC get round to putting the boot in) so worth around what £65 if it was straight wages? though some of that must be knocked off because won’t be in holiday pay.

Yes you do have to look at a package in depth before judging.
As i mentioned the in cab cameras would rule me out anyway even if i was looking, i’m not, but others no doubt feel differently about the things.

Toonsy…mandatory 6 on 2 off, is a gun held to ones head by a stage stormtrooper or what? :unamused:

toonsy:

kcrussell25:

Chap I spoke to yesterday did 4 on 4 off out of MK and said he clears about 550 a week. Also said he’s on mandatory 6 on 2 off at the moment as it’s peak period so he’s clearing more obviously.

Thanks

Juddian:

rob22888:

Juddian:

Good point, i’d quite overlooked that £50 would be tax free (well until HMRC get round to putting the boot in) so worth around what £65 if it was straight wages? though some of that must be knocked off because won’t be in holiday pay.

As i mentioned the in cab cameras would rule me out anyway even if i was looking, i’m not, but others no doubt feel differently about the things.

Toonsy…mandatory 6 on 2 off, is a gun held to ones head by a stage stormtrooper or what? :unamused:

I got that he was saying it was mandatory but to make sure I said that surely you could have the four days off and he said it then that it wasn’t an option :open_mouth:

Re the holiday pay, I cannot understand how this isn’t illegal in what they are doing as those who generally max their hours will take a severe hit come holiday time.

toonsy:

Juddian:

rob22888:

Juddian:

I got that he was saying it was mandatory but to make sure I said that surely you could have the four days off and he said it then that it wasn’t an option :open_mouth:

Some contracts have clauses for mandatory overtime at peak periods but this seems early for Christmas. I like the idea of 4/4 but 6/2 has much less appeal. Especially if the extra 2 fall in you weekends off

Most of the EU down to 37 hour weeks having 1/2 day or every other Friday off and some are saying its not a bad package despite working 55 hours. It is time we rejected this ■■■■■■ £14 per hour up to 37 1/2 hours and time and half for overtime and Saturdays. Double time Sundays and back holidays. This would give a reasonable wage for reasonable hours with meal allowances etc. It really is time we stuck together for a better deal

kcrussell25:

£148(ish) per shift. Guaranteed 11 hours. Paid breaks. O/T afer 11 hours.

ezydriver:

kcrussell25:

About a year ago it was £172 per shift (nights - guaranteed 12 hours, o/t after 12 hours), and part of the contract required drivers to work 6 on 2 off for 5 weeks up til christmas (£50 bonus for each of the 2 extra). But they changed the contract last year, and as far as I know it’s £149 per day or night (11 hours guranteed, o/t after 11 hours) and there is no obligation to do 6 on 2 off leading up til christmas, but they’ll still ask you if you want overtime. So if you say yes, you’ll be on £80 per shift less than the blokes on the old contract.

I worked out that the difference between the P60s of a driver on the old contract and a driver on the new contract would differentiate between £34k and £27.5k for doing the same job. This is 4 on 4 off nights I’m talking about.

I find it hilarious that there’s a lot of notices going up lately about an unacceptable spike in infringements, speeding, damage etc. What do they say? Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Nights is the job I would like. That’s a big drop. Thanks for the details but think that’s one to miss, even only working half a year

rob22888:
This is the basic Mon-Fri deal…

Basic pay is £500 a week. 55 hours, so £9.09 per hour.
£50 per week tax free meal allowance.
Overtime paid daily after 11 hours @ £11.25
Weekend overtime paid at £15
Night Out are £23.
Holiday pay is £580 per week (£116 a day).

Extras you might get are £10 for pulling a splitter trailer, £10 for each ADR load you pull, fuel bonus paid at xmas can be up to £1000.

I don’t know but these rates are old. Definitely pre Summer 2017.

Overtime is £13.90 on weekdays and £15 on weekends. The 11 hours get paid regardless, even if only worked 9hrs (rarely happens) or 10 hrs.

Trampers get either £10 per hour or £9.27 with a guaranteed shortfall rate per missed Night Out.

Night Outs are £25-26 since this year.

EDIT: Breaks do not get deducted + Holiday £145 per day taken.

Maritime has sooo many different pay deals for different depots and depending if you do mainly Container or Distrubition work.

Definatly not out of date, it’s what I was being paid last week!