A50 self lowering bridge at night

M6 shut from 18 to 17 over night SB. Diversion takes you onto the A54 then A50 where there is a 16ft bridge. Always has been 16ft and I know I can go under a 16ft bridge with a 15’10” trailer.

At the A54/A50 junction there is a sign RIGHT NEXT to the permanent 16’ sign saying 15’9” restriction, over height vehicles are to carry on along A54 then A34. Literally 2 signs next to each other one saying 15’9 ahead and the other saying 16’ ahead. So does this bridge lower itself from 16 to 15’9 at night when the diversion is on? IF your at 15’10 which sign do you believe? How can they expect drivers to take height restrictions seriously when they can’t decide what it is?

Why on earth are they diverting vehicles over 15’9 when it’s permanent marking is 16ft?

Off topic a bit. But few years back had a job delivering someware in Sussex countryside to a house Sat nav said turn left destination be in 300 yards.
On the turning I wanted was sign post 6ft6 width restriction.
So I rang customer asked is he before or after the restriction and how do I get round. His response there’s no restriction. And he’s was right.

Basically was a nice area a full of mansions lawyers some footballer lived there.
So got a sign put up as there didn’t like trucks up and down through there village

It’s an idiot consideration allowance, many hgv drivers today are totally ■■■■ incompetent, devoid of thinking things through, and a bit of a joke tbh, just look at all the bridge bashing that goes on mostly due to total reliance on sat navs, and even then they can’t take any notice of their 300 quid jobbies as they’re totally spaced out on autopilot in a trance.
So that is why they always display the height a few inches lower, in this individual case it’s the Irish belt and braces approach I reckon… ‘To be sure to be sure’ :bulb:

I wonder if there’s particularly low trees on that road, which they’ve found that 16’ vehicles are suffering damage where 15’9" ones get through ok.
A big problem at night, during the day an alert driver might spot the problem and able to take evasive action, no hope in the dark.

DickyNick:
M6 shut from 18 to 17 over night SB.

Closes tomorrow night, though to saturday. And im pulling the doubler decker out of Ryton these days. ■■■■■■■ stupid

Maybe it’s to try and break the traffic up a bit, over a couple of different routes?

No I drove it at 15’6 last night and there is nothing on the route lower than than the 16ft bridge. I’ve been the same route at 15’10 recently before this 15’9 sign was put there, and unless the permanently marked 16ft bridge has magically lowered itself (and it’s still got the permanent signs saying 16ft) then there are no other obstructions for over height vehicles. Stupid it seems.

google.co.uk/maps/@53.19597 … 312!8i6656

its 16foot, why are you panicing over some highway workers stupid sign?

They put that diversion in everytime the M6 is shut at that junction. Have seen double deckers go via the “you can’t do that” diversion, but personally I go the other way and it’s a much more peaceful drive. OK, it’s a little longer but what you lose in mileage, you save not being stuck in a long queue of slow moving trucks and cars.

Think last time I did it, there was a massive queue going the low diversion and just me & Howdens (Conor?) going on our own little jolly run.

tommymanc:
Google Maps

its 16foot, why are you panicing over some highway workers stupid sign?

Because I don’t understand the stupidity of having a 15’9 sign right next to a 16ft sign that’s not been scribbled out. Do you obey the “overheight” diversion or not.

DickyNick:
Because I don’t understand the stupidity of having a 15’9 sign right next to a 16ft sign that’s not been scribbled out. Do you obey the “overheight” diversion or not.

Yup dont you

edd1974:
Off topic a bit. But few years back had a job delivering someware in Sussex countryside to a house Sat nav said turn left destination be in 300 yards.
On the turning I wanted was sign post 6ft6 width restriction.
So I rang customer asked is he before or after the restriction and how do I get round. His response there’s no restriction. And he’s was right.

Basically was a nice area a full of mansions lawyers some footballer lived there.
So got a sign put up as there didn’t like trucks up and down through there village

If there’s no distance sign (ie, 300 yards), it’s not a physical restriction, but may well be extremely tight.
Sandhill close off the a507 at millbrook in bedfordshire is an example.
6’ 6", and 7.5t, except for access, but narrow in places.

trevHCS:
They put that diversion in everytime the M6 is shut at that junction. Have seen double deckers go via the “you can’t do that” diversion, but personally I go the other way and it’s a much more peaceful drive. OK, it’s a little longer but what you lose in mileage, you save not being stuck in a long queue of slow moving trucks and cars.

Think last time I did it, there was a massive queue going the low diversion and just me & Howdens (Conor?) going on our own little jolly run.

I’m guessing that’s the same way I mentioned the last time this closure was discussed? Right into middlewich, follow into town then left at the lights down the A533?
No bridges, no weights…and no tailbacks as you nip back on at 17 from sandbach?

Norfolkinclue1:

trevHCS:

I’m guessing that’s the same way I mentioned the last time this closure was discussed? Right into middlewich, follow into town then left at the lights down the A533?
No bridges, no weights…and no tailbacks as you nip back on at 17 from sandbach?

No the official diversion is left at the roundabout into Holmes chapel. The biggest queue was to get off the M6 though. Last night I gave the whole area I wide berth.