TAILGATING.....New campaign

Highways England, whoever they are, are launching a campaign.

Good luck with that then. :laughing:

att:

Good on them I say, who tf appreciates some brainless, ■■■■ self assesed big balls trucker knobhead driving 44 tonnes an inch from their back bumper when their kids are in the car. :bulb:
They should also launch a Mway lane discipline campaign to stop car middle lane hogging, which 9 times out of 10 kicks off the tailgating with these ‘‘pro drivers’’ :unamused:

When the announce they are going to recruit more Police and patrol the roads as they used to, then it will get my attention, until then, as in middle lane hoggers………The square root of bugger all will be done.

robroy:

att:

Good on them I say, who tf appreciates some brainless, [zb] self assesed big balls trucker knobhead driving 44 tonnes an inch from their back bumper when their kids are in the car. :bulb:
They should also launch a Mway lane discipline campaign to stop car middle lane hogging, which 9 times out of 10 kicks off the tailgating with these ‘‘pro drivers’’ :unamused:

^^^^^^ this

What r the charges for driving to close to any vehicle in front?

Example Germany:
Not keeping a distance of at least minium 50 Meters when driving 50 kilometres per hour on a Motorway driving a vehicle >3,5 t gets you >>>> 1 Point (8 is max.) and a 80€ fine.

You can clampdown on whatever. It matters not one bit if there’s nobody there to catch it happening.

toonsy:
You can clampdown on whatever. It matters not one bit if there’s nobody there to catch it happening.

It’s a publicity campaign, not a clampdown. The idea being to get drivers in general to think a bit more about vehicle spacing.

They’ve even sent that ■■■■ Jeremy Vine off on one about it.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

On a Motorway it shouldn’t be much of a problem if lane discipline is used. There is no fast lane we overtake and go back to the left most lane simples. My gripe is with old dodderers who clog up the roads at 35 mph when they could be doing 50.mph safely.

Tipperdipper1:

robroy:

att:

Good on them I say, who tf appreciates some brainless, [zb] self assesed big balls trucker knobhead driving 44 tonnes an inch from their back bumper when their kids are in the car. :bulb:

^^^^^^ this

They could do you for dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention. Both carry points, fine and quite hefty insurance renewal premiums.

To apply the 2 second rule we need longer motorways

robroy:

att:

Well said that man!

att:

Yep I heard exactly the same from a very good source a few months back.Apparently due to start next spring and from what I have heard it involves high tech cameras and fines and more in the post depending on severity of offence. Starting on all motorways then to A & B roads eventually.

robroy:

att:

I use my big statement sparingly, but robroys post gets my vote.

wp-like-button.png
I was up/down the M1-M6 today, and I have to say…what a frikkin nightmare. Well, not really, because I am a professional and can handle it but…what a nighmaaare.
Middle lane morons, tailgaters (whether they be cars or wagons), cutting in, slowing down, racing you, Whaaa??. wonkers. ■■■■■■■ all of them.

SHYTOT:
To apply the 2 second rule we need longer motorways

Yeah, but you’d all get wet then. :slight_smile:

It’s nice to know they acknowledge it’s a problem but the police or highways or both put together don’t have the resources to actually do anything and catch drivers in the act with recorded video evidence. Put a couple of patrols out and they will get a handful a day. That will do jack for educating the masses. Pointless exercise if you ask me.

Conor:

Tipperdipper1:

robroy:

att:

^^^^^^ this

They could do you for dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention. Both carry points, fine and quite hefty insurance renewal premiums.

I’d say if your behind the wheel of a 44 tonner and you are trying to bully a car out of lane 2 into lane 1 (rightly or wrongly that they are there ie lane hogging) and you are 2 foot away from said vehicle in front I think dangerous driving is a very appropriate charge and one that you deserve in my opinion.

It would be good to see some publicity about tailgating.

We all know it increases danger out there, everyone knows that… most people tailgate through sheer ignorance of the situation. They somehow think it’s faster to sit at 50mph 3m behind the vehicle in front than to sit at 50mph 30m behind.

How often have you heard drivers justify tailgating by saying something like “well if you don’t close right up, people fill the gap and you end up going backwards.” For a racing driver, that’s true - you’re all racing to get to one place. For a lorry driver on the way to an RDC… not so much!

I rarely use motorways, but what are car drivers doing there poncing about at less than 50 mph. They should be charged with causing an obstruction.

alamcculloch:
I rarely use motorways, but what are car drivers doing there poncing about at less than 50 mph. They should be charged with causing an obstruction.

You must drive on different motorways to me? I struggle to remember a car doing less than 50 on any motorway unless in heavy traffic.

A good few years ago they said they were going to crackdown on lane hoggers and tailgaiters.That did not really happen due to the obvious.Now they are initiating a new scheme which does not involve humans and it is due to be implemented early next year all going welI.I am surprised nobody else on here has heard about it although it has not made news headlines as far as I know.

If the authorities really want to stop drivers driving closer than 2 seconds apart then the technology is here to do just that in the form of fixed cameras that can detect vehicle 1 going past it and then save the last five seconds of recording if vehicle 2 passes it within 2 seconds

Reason for saving the 5 seconds prior is so that it can be seen that vehicle 1 did not cut in front of vehicle 2

With a fixed penalty it would pay for itself very quickly