Romanian Plates

I keep noticing right hand drive cars with Romanian number plates, more so on the M25, seems very strange to me.

Dave…

I’ve seen a few trucks RHD on EE plates too!
Vehicles are maybe cheaper here but cheaper to tax and easier to MOT there? Basic economics.

Yeah, the commute from RO to GB is a nightmare. Hats off to them, I don’t know how they cope!

RHD cars can legally be imported anywhere in the EU now and since they are 2-4x cheaper than an equivalent LHD car on the continent, makes for a logical choice if you’re working in GB.

nomiS36:
I’ve seen a few trucks RHD on EE plates too!
Vehicles are maybe cheaper here but cheaper to tax and easier to MOT there? Basic economics.

There’s a website offering used RHD units ready to go, with EE plates.

milodon:
RHD cars can legally be imported anywhere in the EU now and since they are 2-4x cheaper than an equivalent LHD car on the continent, makes for a logical choice if you’re working in GB.

If you’re resident in the UK, you can’t drive a foreign registered car.

But do you have to be a resident to work? Here in Norway I’m classed as “temporary” as a commuter (2000 mile commute though :laughing: ) and that means I can use my car with foreign plates to commute internationally and for personal use. Only with permanent residency do I lose that right. 10x difference for insurance to begin with.

milodon:
But do you have to be a resident to work? Here in Norway I’m classed as “temporary” as a commuter (2000 mile commute though :laughing: ) and that means I can use my car with foreign plates to commute internationally and for personal use. Only with permanent residency do I lose that right. 10x difference for insurance to begin with.

Yeah, know what you mean. There are various ways of getting around this but they all come to an end eventually. Saying you’re not resident but having a paper trail that says you’ve lived and worked in Barnsley for the last three years won’t wash. At least it shouldn’t, but who knows any more…?

BG, RO, reg units? Look at GIT and other insurance, vehicle test requirements, driver hours enforcement, minimum wages, income tax evasion, trip money, road tax.
So long as those vehicles operate in the UK they are subject to the same spot checks, and are possibly subject to more targeted checks(?), but they are sometimes used by …hmmmm… less fussy… operators?

Franglais:
BG, RO, reg units? Look at GIT and other insurance, vehicle test requirements, driver hours enforcement, minimum wages, income tax evasion, trip money, road tax.
So long as those vehicles operate in the UK they are subject to the same spot checks, and are possibly subject to more targeted checks(?), but they are sometimes used by …hmmmm… less fussy… operators?

Indeed, been going on for years, just different country plates. They don’t seem to make the big deal out of it that they used to though. Remember the firm who had a BVBA and lots of fancy Scanias doing boxes? That went through the courts for years and was a very bitter battle if I remember correctly.

Drempels:

milodon:

Of course you can drive a foreign registered car you just cant keep the car for more than half a year here. I had a few friends who got a letter and had to take their car back home. Its for insurance reasons. I payed around £50 annually ten years ago as a new driver back in Hungary.

fuser84:

Drempels:

milodon:

Of course you can drive a foreign registered car you just cant keep the car for more than half a year here. I had a few friends who got a letter and had to take their car back home. Its for insurance reasons. I payed around £50 annually ten years ago as a new driver back in Hungary.

Okay, after six months (as everybody knows) you can’t drive a foreign registered car here :unamused:

Drempels:

Franglais:

Indeed, been going on for years, just different country plates. They don’t seem to make the big deal out of it that they used to though. Remember the firm who had a BVBA and lots of fancy Scanias doing boxes? That went through the courts for years and was a very bitter battle if I remember correctly.

Drempels:

Franglais:

Yes the famous Gary Banham, think he managed to get a op licence and trading as net-transport uk :open_mouth:

Drempels:

milodon:

Why not.Any resident can drive any car wih any reg plates.Just need buy UK tax and insurance.

Isn’t there an amount of insurance write off cars that get sold cross border, repaired then out back on the road on foreign plates?

Andrejs:

Drempels:

milodon:

Why not.Any resident can drive any car wih any reg plates.Just need buy UK tax and insurance.

Not sure you can put tax on a foreign registered car mate and I’m sure the insurance needs to be relevant to where it’s regestered but nothing to stop you using it where you want. I’m sure the only place that does make an issue over plates is of north of Ireland plates in the south. Aren’t cars in rumo and Bulgaria the owners insured not the cars as such

chester1:

Andrejs:

Drempels:

milodon:

Not sure you can put tax on a foreign registered car mate and I’m sure the insurance needs to be relevant to where it’s regestered but nothing to stop you using it where you want. I’m sure the only place that does make an issue over plates is of north of Ireland plates in the south. Aren’t cars in rumo and Bulgaria the owners insured not the cars as such

I tnink I most EU country people buy insurance for car and can drive near everyone with licence.In Uk people buy insurance for car and for self only or limited number of family.Simply Uk insurance company want extra money for nothing.

Andrejs:

Drempels:

milodon:

As I said before, there are ways to get around it.

This might sound strange, but I find it rude. It’s like being invited for dinner and sitting there with your coat on.

I know lots of EE people, some great, some horrible, some average. Without exception, all the nice ones are very interested in Britain, its history, go on holiday within the UK sometimes, and generally go for a pint at the weekend with British friends (and sometimes family). They are here for life (hopefully) and therefore act like they are. They do Things like driving UK registered cars.

Others I know, who I wouldn’t care if I never saw them again, I would say 90% of them have non UK reg private vehicles. They’re here for the money and sod everybody else, integration is the last thing on their minds.

Just a personal observation.

elsa Lad:

Drempels:

Franglais:

Yes the famous Gary Banham, think he managed to get a op licence and trading as net-transport uk :open_mouth:

Ah right, never knew his name. Just remembered the legal wrangling went on for ages!