Romanian Plates

Drempels:

Andrejs:

Drempels:

milodon:
RHD cars can legally be imported anywhere in the EU now and since they are 2-4x cheaper than an equivalent LHD car on the continent, makes for a logical choice if you’re working in GB.

If you’re resident in the UK, you can’t drive a foreign registered car.

Why not.Any resident can drive any car wih any reg plates.Just need buy UK tax and insurance.

As I said before, there are ways to get around it.

This might sound strange, but I find it rude. It’s like being invited for dinner and sitting there with your coat on.

I know lots of EE people, some great, some horrible, some average. Without exception, all the nice ones are very interested in Britain, its history, go on holiday within the UK sometimes, and generally go for a pint at the weekend with British friends (and sometimes family). They are here for life (hopefully) and therefore act like they are. They do Things like driving UK registered cars.

Others I know, who I wouldn’t care if I never saw them again, I would say 90% of them have non UK reg private vehicles. They’re here for the money and sod everybody else, integration is the last thing on their minds.

Just a personal observation.

I am here 14 years.I don t know any people who was using Non EU car very long.Because here car more cheap.Some people come to England in summer for work just for 2-6 month and they use foreigh car absolutely legaly.

Sure, if I was working in the EU for 6 months, I would do the same thing. I didn’t mention non EU cars.

[quote=“elsa Lad”

Yes the famous Gary Banham, think he managed to get a op licence and trading as net-transport uk :open_mouth:[/quote]
If he’s the one from Mendlesham then it should read ‘infamous’ …

Our work carpark is full of a few years old high spec Audi and bmw diesels.
What happens is bogdan buys one then after a year finds out it costs more to maintain than a 20 year old trabant so takes it back to pickle land gets all the warning lights turned off re registers itvon ro plates and drives back to England with ■■■■ all insurance and roadctax then drives it until it’s ■■■■■■ then changes the oil andctrys to sell it on Facebook market place.
Also done with claped our tractor units that would struggle to make Dover then run round on crappy traction rates that were ■■■■ in 1997

Andrejs:

Drempels:

milodon:
RHD cars can legally be imported anywhere in the EU now and since they are 2-4x cheaper than an equivalent LHD car on the continent, makes for a logical choice if you’re working in GB.

Why not.Any resident can drive any car wih any reg plates.Just need buy UK tax and insurance.

Its a law thatswhy!

fuser84:

Drempels:

milodon:

Of course you can drive a foreign registered car you just cant keep the car for more than half a year here. I had a few friends who got a letter and had to take their car back home. Its for insurance reasons. I payed around £50 annually ten years ago as a new driver back in Hungary.

Not truth anymore, they have changed law years ago to prevent foreign cars without insurance driving in UK, then not pay for damages as green card is not valid on foreigh insurance if policy holder or driver is working here.
So if you work here, you can only drive UK reg cars…
Its only matter of luck and where you live not to get fined and in extreme case car confiscated…

Bs, the only one to decide whether or not insurance is valid if the car is mainly used outside the country of registration, is the insurance company in the country of registration.

milodon:
Bs, the only one to decide whether or not insurance is valid if the car is mainly used outside the country of registration, is the insurance company in the country of registration.

Yes they did and most of them did not pay claims, so change of law was needed…

not ever seen a foreign reggy car with a wheel clamp on it here . id think these boys bring one over then when the 6months grace is up sell it to a new arrival from his country and theres another 6months grace . one thing iv not seen is any of these typical type LHD cars now running around with a UK plate . i used to be above averagely friendly to blokes from these countries but having seen the majority up to no end of fiddles and diddles i would never befriend one nor give one a job

raymundo:
[quote=“elsa Lad”

Yes the famous Gary Banham, think he managed to get a op licence and trading as net-transport uk :open_mouth:

If he’s the one from Mendlesham then it should read ‘infamous’ …
[/quote]
I was just choosing my words very carefully cos I’m a bit of a coward and I do go down to the docks quite often :blush:

Have noticed that Romanian plates have the same format as UK as in 2 letters, 2 numbers and 3 letters. Also the old style of 1 letter, 3 numbers and 3 letters

This must have caused duplicate plates to be on the road at some point?

idrive:
Have noticed that Romanian plates have the same format as UK as in 2 letters, 2 numbers and 3 letters. Also the old style of 1 letter, 3 numbers and 3 letters

Think some of the old (black) Polish plates were like that too.

If you’re resident in the UK, you can’t drive a foreign registered car.quote.

Where dya get that from…any eu member can own and drive a foreign car in any other member state…recently returned from BG myself after 2.5 months inj my GB registered car…nothing to do with me being a resident…its a right as an eu member citizen.
Most eu workers here are not resident anyway…only temporary residents.
And although you cannot officially drive after 6 months…just a short trip to calais resets the time limit.
Therte is no need to buy a tax for the uk, ( you cant anyway ) but just a country of origin tax is sufficient…unless we drive to their countries…then we just buy a transit tax…which is a rip off anyway as most only sell a minimum 1 week…even though you can be in their country for less than a day…but its cheap enough anyway…btw…germany is to introduce a road tax for cars…as well as a maut for trucks…
only the uk lets em off with no tax for cars…but only £10 per day for trucks…beggars belief.
but at the end of the day rhd gb cars are re registered for money reasons…its a great deal cheaper than the uk…given the recent updates to the mot…if it fails…the previous mot is cancelled…and technically cannot move the car till its rectified.

truckyboy:

Where dya get that from…any eu member can own and drive a foreign car in any other member state…recently returned from BG myself after 2.5 months inj my GB registered car…nothing to do with me being a resident…its a right as an eu member citizen.
And although you cannot officially drive after 6 months…just a short trip to calais resets the time limit.
Therte is no need to buy a tax for the uk, ( you cant anyway ) but just a country of origin tax is sufficient…unless we drive to their countries…then we just buy a transit tax…which is a rip off anyway as most only sell a minimum 1 week…even though you can be in their country for less than a day…but its cheap enough anyway…btw…germany is to introduce a road tax for cars…as well as a maut for trucks…
only the uk lets em off with no tax for cars…but only £10 per day for trucks…beggars belief.
but at the end of the day rhd gb cars are re registered for money reasons…its a great deal cheaper than the uk…given the recent updates to the mot…if it fails…the previous mot is cancelled…and technically cannot move the car till its rectified.

Ask a question and then answer it :unamused:

If you want some recognition for being in BG, just say so. I’m massively impressed, personally.

truckyboy:

It has nothing to do with 6months anymore as mentioned…people want to save on insurance here, not realising green card does not cover them when working full time in other country unless they have informed their insurance(if option then pay higher premium)…no one does this, then claims end up not paid…
end of story

So what countries does this “green card” malarkey regard to?

As no insurance carrier in my very EE country neither requires nor even offers a higher premium for people who use their cars mainly outside the country.

milodon:
So what countries does this “green card” malarkey regard to?

As no insurance carrier in my very EE country neither requires nor even offers a higher premium for people who use their cars mainly outside the country.

You must ask government, survey showed majority of foreign registered cars used in UK by residents had not correct insurance in place.
You become resident(do not confuse with permanent resident) when you have lived/worked in UK more that 6months from 12.

I feel frustration of eastern europeans with high insurance premiums in UK, but i think its good value for money,. Big difference in price is caused only by option to buy basic 3th party insurance in thouse countries, fully comprehensive insurance is not cheap anywhere…
And pay road tax is about to play fair game!

If they don’t have insurance, they don’t have insurance. I’d like to see some proof, that there are countries, that require some sort of extra payment to be able to go and work with your car overseas, otherwise it’s just an old wives tale.

milodon:
If they don’t have insurance, they don’t have insurance. I’d like to see some proof, that there are countries, that require some sort of extra payment to be able to go and work with your car overseas, otherwise it’s just an old wives tale.

As a resident you can drive only UK registered car. Been said many times.
Of course you can drive with owner permision foreign registered car on bases you have your full comprehensive car insurance policy in place uncluding ‘driving other cars’. (not all full comp policies have this)…

Did UK residents with other nationality inform their insurance companies when taking policy that they live and work in other country than where car is registered? I bet they dont…so insurance is void…

As i said its all about luck and where you live…and now mostly on lack of police forces…
Last time i have heard about eastern european car been confiscated and scraped was back in 2012…

Drempels:

idrive:

Think some of the old (black) Polish plates were like that too.

Curries workshop will knock you some up