Home Deliveries - Cornish Style

Get your ‘Divi’ delivered to your door(ish) :smiley:

![](http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41153000/jpg/_41153440_hgvcrash_grab203.jpg)

Full Story

Hopefully the driver will be fine but what amazes me is some of the dumb-assed comments that get made on these occasions,

Ms Pyle believes the accident has highlighted the need for a bypass round the north Cornish town.

“We’ve been campaigning for years, but we can’t get one. This is the result, but thankfully nobody is dead this time, but it’s a very worrying situation.”

So [u]**that's**[/u] what caused it! The lack of a by-pass. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

is that the accident today where the driver was in the back of the trailer when it rolled back into the house.

he had to be airlifted to hospital with suspected spinal injuries

Are they all going to pop out to the by pass when it is built to collect their shopping instead of going into the Co-Op then?

Or maybe the truck could just trundle along the by pass while someone throws the goods out the back, that’s got to be better than having the terrible inconvenience of having the truck deliver the stuff they need directly into their local store.

Yep, that’s the wagon that the driver was in the back of unloading, when handbrake failed and rolled down a steep hill. No one was seriously injured, my company is doing the craning and recovery and removal of vehicle to VOSA. It appears at this early stage that the house may collapse when vehicle is moved.

Fortunately, no fatalities. My sympathies to all involved, this close to Xmas.

John

In that case John, are you aware of the following,

Late last year I was engaged by a truck fleet operator to investigate an apparent failure of the park brake on a Daf eight-wheeled tipper. The results should serve as a serious warning to operators and vehicle manufacturers.

The incident occurred when a laden truck was driven up a ramp to the loading area of a cement plant. The driver set the park-brake. The park-brake lever remained where the driver had set it. The vehicle was on a slight incline.

The driver then headed for the rear of the vehicle to release the tailgate-retaining hoop. As he began to return to the cab, the vehicle began to roll back. Mercifully, the driver was able to jump clear. Only when it struck a wall did the truck come to a standstill.

The Daf dealer which had supplied the vehicle 18 months earlier insists that the driver must have failed to set the handbrake correctly. This was why I was called in to inspect the vehicle, a 2002-registered 340hp Daf CF 85 eight-wheeled tipper fitted with a Knorr-Bremse DPM 92D park-brake valve.

The valve is designed to supply a precise and gradual inverse air pressure to operate spring-brake actuators. The handle is spring-loaded and should automatically return the brakes to the “off” position.

When the lever is pulled fully back to the “park” position it should automatically lock into place. The lever should remain in this position until the driver lifts the collar, releasing the locking mechanism.

If application of the brake lever is incomplete and the driver fails to ensure that it is locked in the park position, the return spring should cause the lever to return to the “off” position. This evidently did not happen on this occasion.

When the park-brake lever is in the central position, only partial (secondary) braking is being applied. Held in this position by friction, the lever could give a driver the impression that the park-brake is fully applied.

I carried out a close examination of the park-brake valve assembly and found that the lever mechanism’s protective plastic dust cover was damaged. I took the valve to the IRTE head office in London for a second opinion. It was agreed that there may be a fault with the plastic dust sleeve which could affect application of the brake.

I then visited Knorr-Bremse in Bristol where a bench test of the valve assembly was carried out. During the bench test we were able to replicate the seized position while the valve was connected to a supply of compressed air. In this position the hand valve would seize with between 35 psi and 60 psi of pressure applied through it.

It was considered that with this amount of pressure still being applied through the braking system to a vehicle in good working order there would have been enough braking force to hold it on a slight gradient.

With the hand valve in this position we simulated the normal vibration that would be expected with the engine left running while the driver climbed out of the cab. To our surprise, the hand-valve sprang off after one or two minutes. I was also able to create the same effects with another valve of the same design.

I believe the evidence points to the incident at the cement plant being the result of a faulty dust-cover holding the brake lever in the secondary position. The forces acting on the brake system created by the vehicle resting on an incline, coupled with the internal return spring overcoming the friction forces holding the lever in the secondary position, caused the park-brake lever to move to the “off” position with a snap.

I also believe that the park-brake was set to the secondary position and not to the park position. The defective dust-cover and not driver error is to blame here. Had the dust cover not gripped the shroud, it would not have remained in the secondary position, and the driver would have applied the park-brake to the correct position.

All park-brake levers like this, and their dust-covers in particular, should surely be inspected carefully as a matter of urgency, and routinely from now on.

I would like to see a recall of all trucks with this kind of park-brake valve to establish whether this is an isolated incident or there is indeed a potential life-threatening fault with this valve.

Graham Doughty
Transport Management Consultants
Chislehurst
Kent

The above is reproduced from a letter published in the March 2004 edition of Transport Engineer.

Krankee, not seen that before, fortunately, I’m just the guy resposible for carrying the wagon there (on a trailer before wise cracks start).

Accidents happen, but as I say, fortunately no-one was seriously hurt, or worse still killed.

John

Cornish, it would be well worth the drivers licence and insurance claim if you were to print that article off and give it to VOSA.

That seems like a lifeline to the driver, I remember reading about that and it was my first thought,

my second thought was that the driver was pilfering himself a freebie turkey

On the other hand, he could have left his cab unlocked and some toe-rag jumped in to nick his phone, and released the parking brake. After all, North Cornwall, Scousers Paradise! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

What’s the similarity between Batman and a Scouser?

Neither venture anywhere without Robin. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Are they all going to pop out to the by pass when it is built to collect their shopping instead of going into the Co-Op then?

CO-OP now do door to door service Neil :laughing: :laughing:

I blame Colin the Sheep :smiley:

Ms Pyle might possibly be the daftest person ever.

Wouldn’t realise that lorries are essential if one rolled into her house.

From my non-driving flat-mate… “Bypasses stop physics? wow… did anyone tell Einstein of this?”

i bet this ms pyle turns out to be the local
BBC news reporter :wink:

We’ve got somebody round here that complains to the local paper about the truck that delivers to the local Spar shop. Of course they’d be the first person complaining if the shop closed, because their complaining got some sort of restriction on deliveries. :unamused: Some people’s minds are so small they have no chance in seeing the big picture.

muckles:
We’ve got somebody round here that complains to the local paper about the truck that delivers to the local Spar shop. Of course they’d be the first person complaining if the shop closed, because their complaining got some sort of restriction on deliveries. :unamused: Some people’s minds are so small they have no chance in seeing the big picture.

They would prefer to have 25 transit vans delivering the groceries and blocking the road

directly into their local store.

Or directly into their living room :laughing:

Andyroo:

with respect mate i disagree. i drive through camelford regular and it is a dreadful place to pedal an artic through. not only is it horribly narrow but you cannot see oncoming traffic because of bends in the road as you go thru.

two artics meeting up is a nightmare. although it would not have made a difference to this truck (which was delivering there) a bypass would remove hundreds of trucks from this village making life better for residents and easier for us too.

it aint got anything to do with trucks being essential or not, this place needs a bypass

Wheel Nut:

muckles:

They would prefer to have 25 transit vans delivering the groceries and blocking the road

That’s the problems they can’t understand that small vehicles hold less, therefore need more vehicles :confused: and anyway they reckon it’s a pain getting past the truck when they are driving their children a mile to school and all freight should go by train. One person even suggest that all vehicles over 7.5t should be banned from North Norfolk.
Like I said Minds not big enough to see the big pictures" :unamused:

Harry Monk:

Andyroo:

with respect mate i disagree. i drive through camelford regular and it is a dreadful place to pedal an artic through. not only is it horribly narrow but you cannot see oncoming traffic because of bends in the road as you go thru.

two artics meeting up is a nightmare. although it would not have made a difference to this truck (which was delivering there) a bypass would remove hundreds of trucks from this village making life better for residents and easier for us too.

it aint got anything to do with trucks being essential or not, this place needs a bypass

It’s not that Camelford needs a bypass, but the fact that Mrs Pyle think that an accident with a truck delivering there hi-lights the case for a bypass.