Maybe its not that far away

theguardian.com/technology/ … ation-jobs

Automation its not a bad read

A good read and interesting to hear the technology is getting closer. It is simply a matter of time before this is reality and the only question is, how long will it take, I reckon 10 years and we are going down in history. Who knows when, only the manufacturers will know this answer. Haulage companies will be eager to buy them for their cost savings and efficiency a well as for their image.

I said before in response to Dr D that full automation WILL happen at some point, but I’m absolutely confident that it will not happen except in small and carefully controlled environments within my lifetime. To repeat something I said before; folks will put up with people killing other people, what they absolutely will not put up with is robots doing it.

Will Smith didn’t like it, so neither will I. :wink:

It will come and it will kill people and as usual we the people will do diddly squat about it.

Something that’s widely stated, and touched upon in that article, is the lorries rolling 24 hours a day and the huge savings that’ll make. But then in the next breath they say a driver will be there to make sure nothing goes wrong. Surely any worker will be governed by current regulations, meaning an auto lorry will have the same time restrictions as a non auto vehicle.

I’m also left wondering if the lorries will clean themselves on a Saturday.

Yep . Planners will get it right every time won’t they .
It won’t be coming anytime soon .
They may get the technology sorted in 15 - 50 years but the infrastructure to run it nationally will take a hell of a lot longer .
If we started building power stations now we still won’t have the grid sorted for when electric cars are the only choice . All the nimby brigade won’t allow roads to be built suitable for platoons and all the charge stations and new national grid .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Surely if the Artificial Intelligence robots are anywhere near as smart as they say they will be, they’ll band together and go on strike? :slight_smile:

I’m surpised full automation hasn’t been seen sooner in more obvious areas; freight trains, or cargo ships.

liveleak.com/view?i=b0b_1519211932

Get down Shep!

TiredAndEmotional:
ItemFix - Social Video Factory

Get down Shep!

From the above link:

“ROBOTS WILL ACHEIVE THEIR GOALS NO MATTER WHAT THE HUMAN DOES”

Yeah, I can’t wait for robot lorries.

So they show whats happening in America, yet quote the european legislation…it wont make a lot of difference as if a driver has to accompany in case it goes ■■■■ up, there are 2 issues…firstly…if it goes out of control, with the driver on the bed…its gonna be too late, and could possibly be killed…the next bit is the legality…so if the driver is present, then he is restricted to the hours he can be on duty and therefore the vehicle cannot work twice as much as it does now…will still need to take breaks, an all the other bits and pieces…including signing for the load !!

But i wouldnt panic…this aint gonna happen anytime soon…certainly not in the uk…our island is way to small and congested.

Freight Dog:
I’m surpised full automation hasn’t been seen sooner in more obvious areas; freight trains, or cargo ships.

Actually unmanned ships are a reality soon also…

DAF95XF:

Freight Dog:

Actually unmanned ships are a reality soon also…

I could see it happening. They’ve been skeleton crewed for years anyway. There’d be no crew wages, no need for food and nothing for the pirates to hold ransom. If anything broke they could helicopter engineers out if close to shore, or if further away perhaps use a back up propulsion system to get it closer to shore. Once near port would just need a pilot to guide it in. Without people on board the designs could be much more seaworth, enclosed, hardly any doors etc.