health and safety

how many on here hate H&S,delivering to my regular place for the last two and a half years,we[the drivers] would sit in the cabs while the vehicle was unloaded,never had any problems at all,couple of months back two idiots decide we can no longer sit in our cabs I thought I would ask and the reply was safety believe it or not,now all drivers have to stand outside in all weathers breathing in diesel exhaust fumes from the forklifts,ok we are under a canopy attached to the building but that’s over the top only,the wind today was unbelievable,to my mind where they get the idea that it’s a safety issue is beyond me,we were in the cab,not in the way,so the safest place to be,these two supervisor/team leader dxxxs decide it’s not safe under H&S bull.

truckman020:
how many on here hate H&S,delivering to my regular place for the last two and a half years,we[the drivers] would sit in the cabs while the vehicle was unloaded,never had any problems at all,couple of months back two idiots decide we can no longer sit in our cabs I thought I would ask and the reply was safety believe it or not,now all drivers have to stand outside in all weathers breathing in diesel exhaust fumes from the forklifts,ok we are under a canopy attached to the building but that’s over the top only,the wind today was unbelievable,to my mind where they get the idea that it’s a safety issue is beyond me,we were in the cab,not in the way,so the safest place to be,these two supervisor/team leader dxxxs decide it’s not safe under H&S bull.

Remind them of their duty of care for the welfare of all employees on site and explain that sitting outside in adverse weather conditions can have an adverse effect on ones health.especially if there was nowhere to sit down.

The Health and Safety at Work Act has kept millions of workers safe and dramatically reduced work place deaths. But what you’ve described isn’t anything to do with Health & safety - it’s bull.

Just ask them what section of the 1974 Act they’re enforcing (if they reply something like “Section 4, regulation 22” - run!). No answer means they know it’s bull too.

I delivered to a place the other day not a hi viz in sight no h & s notices security friendly.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mdourish:
I delivered to a place the other day not a hi viz in sight no h & s notices security friendly.

I’m in and out of these places every day. It’s ■■■■■■■ great!

mdourish:

And still alive to tell the tale. :smiley:

It’s a whole load of bull, RAMS, Inductions etc, our customers now gets invoiced if a visit to site is required before delivery and billed for the time taken for inductions.
Surprising how many say it’s not required when you say they will be charged,

mdourish:

Do 'em every day. They’re called farms. :smiley:

truckman020:

And you did what you were told, its sounds like if they told you to stand in the middle of the yard you would not have a problem with that, everyone to there own

nightline:

truckman020:

And you did what you were told, its sounds like if they told you to stand in the middle of the yard you would not have a problem with that, everyone to there own

I assume previously when you waited in the cab you handed your keys in? It wouldn’t then be a stretch to guess that someone has been caught giving in car/spare keys.

There have been numerous cases of drivers pulling off on red lights so there has to be an investigation to prevent it from reoccurring.

The easiest solution is to hand keys in but if drivers then can’t be trusted to do so out of the cabs is the only option from the company point of view.

They are required to provide suitable waiting areas and I would suggest in future you ask for a manager and tell him that as part of his responsibilities for your health and safety on his site you require a suitable area which is not exposed to the elements, unless they are providing suitable ppe for the conditions.

I have only done farms a couple of times but do enjoy the lack of hi vis and ott rules. Remember also those rules are there because of instances like the thread about the tipper driver suing his company for £300k. Even if they win it is going to take up a huge amount of time and expense.

kcrussell25:
I assume previously when you waited in the cab you handed your keys in? It wouldn’t then be a stretch to guess that someone has been caught giving in car/spare keys.

There have been numerous cases of drivers pulling off on red lights so there has to be an investigation to prevent it from reoccurring.

The easiest solution is to hand keys in but if drivers then can’t be trusted to do so out of the cabs is the only option from the company point of view.

There are other options to make sure a truck is secure on a bay while tipping, Bernard Matthews site at Gt Witchingham has a system that automatically chocks the trailer wheels while the red light is on, seems like a far better system than relying on drivers to hand keys in or ensure park brakes are on if they drop the trailers.

muckles:

kcrussell25:

There are other options to make sure a truck is secure on a bay while tipping, Bernard Matthews site at Gt Witchingham has a system that automatically chocks the trailer wheels while the red light is on, seems like a far better system than relying on drivers to hand keys in or ensure park brakes are on if they drop the trailers.

I agree there are other systems (costco crick has something similar) but they will cost money so I guess thats why they are not mandatory.

Companies are required to take all reasonable precautions for safety. I guess they feel that it is reasonable that accidents will be prevented if drivers are out the cab without going to the additional cost.

They don’t care about the drivers as once we have delivered/collected we are gone and they don’t have to think about us. Driver “comfort” will be the least of their concerns

Costco at Crick and any Amazon (ZB) pit are the exact opposite ends of the spectrum. I would rate the costco site as the best tip i have been to in the past couple of years.

kcrussell25:

muckles:

kcrussell25:

I agree there are other systems (costco crick has something similar) but they will cost money so I guess thats why they are not mandatory.

Companies are required to take all reasonable precautions for safety. I guess they feel that it is reasonable that accidents will be prevented if drivers are out the cab without going to the additional cost.

They don’t care about the drivers as once we have delivered/collected we are gone and they don’t have to think about us. Driver “comfort” will be the least of their concerns

Yep I understand the companies only do the minimum to comply with H&S act and therefore avoid proscecution if accidents happen.

muckles:

kcrussell25:

Pain in the r’s but there is the suzie lock option too.

muckles:

kcrussell25:

muckles:

kcrussell25:

Yep I understand the companies only do the minimum to comply with H&S act and therefore avoid proscecution if accidents happen.

Absolutely. I should have worded my first post as next easiest as apposed to only option for the company. :blush:

Sorry, it is Saturday night

Sand Fisher:

muckles:

kcrussell25:

Pain in the r’s but there is the suzie lock option too.

Morrison’s Motherwell have those and then make you wait in the canteen which I couldn’t understand.

kcrussell25:

I always hand in a dud set of keys, why should some warehouse cretin get the keys to my truck where all my stuff is when its out of my sight?

A.

Adonis.:

kcrussell25:

I always hand in a dud set of keys, why should some warehouse cretin get the keys to my truck where all my stuff is when its out of my sight?

A.

I won’t argue your logic but unfortunately the 0.1% who are not the brightest minds then forget they “don’t” have their keys pull off the bay or start the engine demonstrating that they can’t be trusted to follow the rules. Much like the example of a tipper driver who doesn’t look up…

Joe bloggs company won’t care about your stuff. They care about not getting sued. This is their way of protecting themselves from that

I can’t see atm

Adonis.:

A.

I feel your pain with that Adonis, but it’s a double edged sword tbh; when I’ve got my drivers hat on I hate giving my keys in and feel that it’s somewhat akin to giving your house keys to a passing stranger in the street.

However, with my shunting hat on I have to contend with an under employed site safety man who will regularly do spot checks on the tugs to check keys and Salvo locks to ensure that we (the shunters) have the correct keys in the tug and also that we haven’t “slaved” off the locks on any of the spare air line ends that we carry for when rigid vehicles come on site. (We sometimes slave them off if past experience has taught us that the driver isn’t an idiot and can be trusted, or if he’s driving a particularly close coupled rig and we can’t be arsed with the aggro of getting his red line off and then back on).

I had the conversation with an Actros driver the other week who gave me a set of Renault keys and I pointed out that I’m not a yard policeman and I don’t really care if he hands me dud keys, but if the safety man checked then next time he came he shouldn’t be surprised if all drivers were sat in a portacabin whilst they were getting tipped/ loaded as opposed to their cabs.