Google maps on Android

For the past couple of days traffic info on Google maps will only update with Live info if I go online and put in my location.

Is there a way around this or does anyone know of any other traffic info providers that will allow me to just have a quick check on the traffic before starting my journey ?

I dont want satnav.

You need it live, as traffic changes by the minute.

Tom tom live traffic. You can go on their website and zoom in on the map for where you want to see. It’s the same info that is sent to their satnav devices too and it’s usually accurate I’ve found.

I have Google maps on my Android and the first time I used it I had to permit them to use my location, then has never asked since, each time I use the map it knows where I am and I find it perfect. How do you expect the system to work for you if you do not allow it to know your location ?
I find Google maps are amazing, you do not need any sat nav if you have the map, just find your destination on the map ad click on the Navigation icon, job done, it will guide you to your destination with no problems and you don’t waste money buying a sat nav.

Pat Hasler:
I find Google maps are amazing, you do not need any sat nav if you have the map, just find your destination on the map ad click on the Navigation icon, job done, it will guide you to your destination with no problems and you don’t waste money buying a sat nav.

Presumably they don’t have (many) weight/width/height restrictions on your side of the Atlantic…?

Roymondo:

Pat Hasler:

Presumably they don’t have (many) weight/width/height restrictions on your side of the Atlantic…?

I usually eye the route on Gmaps and can tell if there will be issues.
You can zoom in and see bridges not their height but you know its there and you can see if it takes you down silly roads. You dont need to eye the whole route just when it says it wants to take you down a road called Old Goats Lane etc… :stuck_out_tongue:
Also paying attention to road signs help.

adam277:

Roymondo:

Pat Hasler:

You can zoom in and see bridges not their height but you know its there and you can see if it takes you down silly roads. You dont need to eye the whole route just when it says it wants to take you down a road called Old Goats Lane etc… :stuck_out_tongue:

I know we have an old topic here but I was searching satnav in the search box and this came up, just to say that Google maps DOES show bridge heights of under 5mt I believe, I have found it to be spot on accurate, I have borrowed 400 quid sat navs but still prefer good old gmaps, no sat Nav can match it for accurate traffic and road closure imo.

For low bridges click on the tab on left and it is towards the bottom as an option, Low Bridges UK it says or something similar.

Alfa1M:

adam277:

Roymondo:

Pat Hasler:

I know we have an old topic here but I was searching satnav in the search box and this came up, just to say that Google maps DOES show bridge heights of under 5mt I believe, I have found it to be spot on accurate, I have borrowed 400 quid sat navs but still prefer good old gmaps, no sat Nav can match it for accurate traffic and road closure imo.

For low bridges click on the tab on left and it is towards the bottom as an option, Low Bridges UK it says or something similar.

That’s only if you’ve downloaded the file that contains the bridges. And as discussed before on here that’s made by someone who has put time into it but has unfortunately missed a fair few such as the 11ft one near my house…

Having said that it’s no different to some satnav devices in that regard but at least if say Tom Tom missed something there’s a channel to raise issue with.

This us why I have a Tom Tom, use Google Maps and also have a truckers atlas because in my view it’s better to use everything you can rather than one thing because everything used brings something different to the table.

I mainly use an old tomtom which is about 7 years old, there are a lot of new bits of road which are not on it, but knowing which direction im going and road numbers help. I also have a bridge height road atlas with me which i also use to help me plan my routes when i have to venture of “main roads”.
I sometimes use google maps on my phone, especially for traffic. When my old tomtom dies, il be moving over onto my phone full time.

There is nothing wrong with sat navs, phones gps devices etc. Its the people that blindy follow them.

I’ve found recently on my phone when starting Google Maps I have to click on the option to turn the live traffic back on but once its done its worked fine until I’ve forgotten to recharge my phone and it starts from scratch again.

Sometimes they update google maps.check for updates .

if u google hgv google mapsit will come up with a link to it sadly ive not found a way to install it on my phone but it is there to be used