Car transporter mishap, Skipton

what a nightmare!
Hope the driver was ok.
Sent to me just now by a mate who lives there

Some drivers will do anything to park …ha ha glad he was ok.

truckyboy:
Some drivers will do anything to park …ha ha glad he was ok.

Don’t be judgmental! Maybe his satnav said ‘straight over the roundabout’

I see he’s up and out and wearing his high vis jacket, just a shame he wasn’t following his H&S guidlines when he decided to go hedge hopping!

Is no one thinking of the cars ■■ they must be traumatised …

£10 says he didn’t slow down much on the approach…

the nodding donkey:

He did when he reached the privet.

the nodding donkey:

Can’t be that because we have it on good authority that a brake and go approach is not an issue. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

However I’ll put £5 on that and £5 on the trailer deciding where the ‘prime mover’ goes as opposed to vice versa. :wink: :smiley: Or is it a ‘tractor unit’,or is it something in between,who knows,but what we do know is that it’s the worst of all worlds of neither an artic nor a proper drawbar and with the potential for the tail to wag the dog to match. :laughing:

Judging by the way the transporter is loaded, I would wager that is a new / inexperienced driver.

Lank:
Judging by the way the transporter is loaded, I would wager that is a new / inexperienced driver.

Whats wrong with the loading Lank, he’s got 12 on an 11+ doesn’t look especially heavily loaded behind the trailer axles, he maybe could have put a heavier longer car in behind the cab and could have driven on number 1 and 2 instead of reversing them but that’s nit picking, he’s probably gone for drop order as best he could as anyone would.
Can’t be sure but doesn’t look to me like he’s had a case of the tail wagging the dog routine or jack knife, looks like he’s simply driven straight on at the junction.

Wonder if that short cut is still open…

Cars on there way to a scrap ? Well no they are for sure. :smiley:

Juddian:

Lank:

Whats wrong with the loading Lank, he’s got 12 on an 11+ doesn’t look especially heavily loaded behind the trailer axles, he maybe could have put a heavier longer car in behind the cab and could have driven on number 1 and 2 instead of reversing them but that’s nit picking, he’s probably gone for drop order as best he could as anyone would.
Can’t be sure but doesn’t look to me like he’s had a case of the tail wagging the dog routine or jack knife, looks like he’s simply driven straight on at the junction.

The strange loading won’t have had too much effect on the handling - as you rightly point out.

I only made the new / inexperienced comment based on the loading. Car reversed on 2 (blue Focus) and car driven on 10 (red car on middle at back). That’s a very strange way to load an 11+ and I cannot see any benefit (but I can see hindrance) in loading differently to how it is designed to be loaded. It just looks like a newbie load. A driver unfamiliar with loading might be unfamiliar with handling. As you’ve pointed out in the past, a loaded car transporter can handle a lot different to a ‘normal’ truck.

facebook.com/groups/1582849 … 505126300/

Saw this video elsewhere. To add to the confusion, there appears to be no junction on the roundabout behind the trailer for it to have emerged from ■■

Whether it was loaded correctly or not, he must have been carrying some speed to get that far up that roundabout. He must have been approaching it far too fast.

Carryfast:

the nodding donkey:

Can’t be that because we have it on good authority that a brake and go approach is not an issue. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

However I’ll put £5 on that and £5 on the trailer deciding where the ‘prime mover’ goes as opposed to vice versa. :wink: :smiley: Or is it a ‘tractor unit’,or is it something in between,who knows,but what we do know is that it’s the worst of all worlds of neither an artic nor a proper drawbar and with the potential for the tail to wag the dog to match. :laughing:

Lock the thread now, the expert has spoken…I imagine the whole industry will now change car transporter design and use Carryfast spec, what with him being an expert car transporter driver… :unamused: :wink:

Lank:

Juddian:

Lank:

The strange loading won’t have had too much effect on the handling - as you rightly point out.

I only made the new / inexperienced comment based on the loading. Car reversed on 2 (blue Focus) and car driven on 10 (red car on middle at back). That’s a very strange way to load an 11+ and I cannot see any benefit (but I can see hindrance) in loading differently to how it is designed to be loaded. It just looks like a newbie load. A driver unfamiliar with loading might be unfamiliar with handling. As you’ve pointed out in the past, a loaded car transporter can handle a lot different to a ‘normal’ truck.

Yep, as you and i know only too well.
One of my mates described getting a new set of drive axle tyres it was like driving a plate of spagetti for the month till they bedded in, about the most accurate description i’ve heard.
I hadn’t driven +11 before and went to pick me then new Volvo FM +11 up from TE in Essex, frightended the bloody life outa me coming back with it :open_mouth: , i’d only just been ordered to hand back me mk4 Lohr 10 car wag’n’drag (cake stand) which was about as stable a lorry as you could get :cry:

re the odd loading, i used to experiment with all sorts of combos, cos muggins here was queen of multi drop :unamused:

edit, Lank i didn’t notice number 11 driven on instead of reversed, but judging from the height of the pillars i reckon he’s below 15’ over car 3.
What do yer reckon about the load, scrappage, small auction, small dealer transfer or what? the drivers window of car 3 looks open i did wonder if they were going to a recycler.

Maybe he was distracted whilst taking photos of an accident with a handheld device which is illegal. :imp:

garrymore203:
Maybe he was distracted whilst taking photos of an accident with a handheld device which is illegal. :imp:

It’s illegal to take a picture?

Juddian:

Lank:

Juddian:

Lank:

Yep, as you and i know only too well.
One of my mates described getting a new set of drive axle tyres it was like driving a plate of spagetti for the month till they bedded in, about the most accurate description i’ve heard.
I hadn’t driven +11 before and went to pick me then new Volvo FM +11 up from TE in Essex, frightended the bloody life outa me coming back with it :open_mouth: , i’d only just been ordered to hand back me mk4 Lohr 10 car wag’n’drag (cake stand) which was about as stable a lorry as you could get :cry:

re the odd loading, i used to experiment with all sorts of combos, cos muggins here was queen of multi drop :unamused:

edit, Lank i didn’t notice number 11 driven on instead of reversed, but judging from the height of the pillars i reckon he’s below 15’ over car 3.
What do yer reckon about the load, scrappage, small auction, small dealer transfer or what? the drivers window of car 3 looks open i did wonder if they were going to a recycler.

Having had another look at the photos, he is quite low for the cars he is carrying. Then, when you look a bit closer, it looks like on certain positions he’s dropped the decks on the roofs of the cars below so your theory of a trip to the recycler is probably accurate.

I like your story about the change of drive axle tyres. It doesn’t take much to make a transporter unstable. Having one or two cars loaded differently (out of 10) say driven rather than reversed, in certain positions can really affect the handling and bite you in the arse. Amazing how a 20 tonne vehicle can be effected by a couple of 1.5 tonne cars. Either a car engine not positioned to put weight over the coupling, or left hanging behind the rear axle of the trailer.