Roadworks speed limits to rise

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … 60mph.html

Apparently, drivers are more relaxed traveling at 60 because they can get out of the way of hgv’s! They’ve obviously never met the tang contingent!!! :laughing:

Now they need to reign in utility companies’ use of temporary traffic lights. They have their place but so many around here are just unnecessary, especially where the work’s not even being done on the road.

Captain Caveman 76:
Motorway roadworks speed limits may be increased to 60mph | Daily Mail Online

Apparently, drivers are more relaxed traveling at 60 because they can get out of the way of hgv’s! They’ve obviously never met the tang contingent!!! :laughing:

Limiters set at 100kph but regularly get passed on the flat by the Irish reefers, ill catch some again on the hills but down dale theyre gone>>> :grimacing:

Pointless exercise.

60mph in a car equates to 54mph with a 10% margin for inaccuracies with a Speedo.

How exactly will it mean car drivers intimidated by trucks be able to get away from them?

So most cars will be doing somewhere between 54 and 58 mph when a lot of trucks will be doing 52-56mph true speed.

In fact to add most car drivers drive less than 50mph in the roadworks anyway, so a higher speed and they will still be doing 50mph if we’re lucky.

You beat me to it. Just saw this on BBC breakfast. They fell safer at a faster speed?

So the lanes are still as narrow, it’s still an average speed where everyone is too close to each other in fear of speeding up a little in case they caught speeding. Yet they feel safer?

If this happens I think the only thing we can expect is more big crashes and therefore more motorway closures.

I think the speed needs to go down rather than up. If someone breaks down in a lane now everyone is travelling at 50. Put that to 60 and work out what’s going to happen for your self.

Everyone is currently leaving a half second gap between themselves and the car in front and the limit is 50. Put that to 60 and work out what happens when someone slams on in front. It’s going going to make the crash that is going to happen anyway a whole lot worse.

Put it down to 30 like on the m5 then everyone has got a chance to react. Put it to 60 most people have no chance.

Rowley010:
You beat me to it. Just saw this on BBC breakfast. They fell safer at a faster speed?

So the lanes are still as narrow, it’s still an average speed where everyone is too close to each other in fear of speeding up a little in case they caught speeding. Yet they feel safer?

If this happens I think the only thing we can expect is more big crashes and therefore more motorway closures.

I think the speed needs to go down rather than up. If someone breaks down in a lane now everyone is travelling at 50. Put that to 60 and work out what’s going to happen for your self.

Everyone is currently leaving a half second gap between themselves and the car in front and the limit is 50. Put that to 60 and work out what happens when someone slams on in front. It’s going going to make the crash that is going to happen anyway a whole lot worse.

Put it down to 30 like on the m5 then everyone has got a chance to react. Put it to 60 most people have no chance.

Totally agree, I want as big a safety buffer as possible from your average devil may care driver who cant see further than the end of their bonnet.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41704392

The tests took place at 60mph on the M5 between junction 4A (Bromsgrove) to junction 6 (Worcester), and at 55mph on the M3 in Surrey between junction 3 and 4A.

The study found 60% of those who drove in the 60mph trial zone had a decreased average heart rate, while it was lower for 56% of those on the 55mph journey.

Therefore driving at 100mph would mean that 100% of drivers would have a decreased heart rate :bulb:

Love where it says up to 16 road building projects delayed up to 2 year. Why doesn’t that supprise me? :unamused:

Too much time looking in the mirror at the nasty bully in the juggernaut than watching the road in front of them [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t see road workers feeling any safer and many will not be inside a vehicle.

When I’ve been in the US there are signs which, if memory serves, suggest that speeding fines are doubled when road workers are on site. :bulb:

Wiretwister:
Can’t see road workers feeling any safer and many will not be inside a vehicle.

When I’ve been in the US there are signs which, if memory serves, suggest that speeding fines are doubled when road workers are on site. :bulb:

Not really a problem here.

Get rid of the average speed cameras and get rid of 20 plus miles of roadworks, no need for them.

A.

Adonis.:
Get rid of the average speed cameras and get rid of 20 plus miles of roadworks, no need for them.

A.

Or actually get the works done rather than leaving them idle for days if not weeks at a time while drivers are stuck with the narrow lanes and reduced speed limits.

This won’t end well.

Like already said, get the job finished and on time ffs. Pathetic

Rowley010:

Agree, edited to add: But what the foxtrot would we know… some desk jock is making decisions on a subject they know naff all about. People will die and the HGV drivers will be blamed… desk jock/■■■■ will not be held accountable.

It would be ok if most car drivers travelled at over 40mph in the 50mph road works. How’s about get workers on the job 24/7 and get it done in half the time instead of 1 day on this stretch 1 day on thay stretch.
Some of these roadworks wouldn’t last more than a few weeks in other countries.

But it’s the so called Gt Britain we’re talking about here so expect no change … for the good !!

I can see the logic in it and think it will help traffic flow better.

agree about 24/7 working but you cant get quality control/EA ? engineer to allow/sign off tarmacking at less than 10c ish ,seal coating at at least 10c + no concreting below low cs or raining.(ower here but iirc was around the same figures in UK ). and yup its double bubble if you are caught speeding in construction zones when workers on site and if you injure or kill a worker and its proved you were speeding its automatic jail time. THe best jobs I found were when the main contractor took the job on a set price /timeline with big penalties if over time and a repair at no cost if defects occur in a certain timeline after finish…lots of OT :smiley: and 24/7 working usually 10 on 4 days off . :laughing:

It isn’t the car travelling at 40mph in the 50mph roadworks that is the problem. It’s (and we’ve all experienced this) the cars that will happily break the speed limit just to get past the “slow” HGV after they’ve already passed the 50 sign and once they’re in front proceed to cut in, brake down to 40 and then stay there that are the problem.