Unions

robroy:
Thing is I didn’t learn about 70s Unions at school (like a few that have contributed to this thread :unamused: ) I had first hand experience, I worked in a factory in the 70s as a young lad where Unions were red hot, and genuinely ruled the roost as they got further and further out of hand.
There is NO way in hell I would want to go back to those days.
However the scales have been completely tipped over, things are at the other end of the spectrum whereby bosses can (and do) whatever tf they want, and what I would like to see is a happy medium.
Just to clarify.

Define unions ‘ruling the roost’ as opposed to ‘happy medium’. :unamused:

Bearing in mind that soul destroying nature of factory work and the fact that even the 35 hour week,let alone 32 hour 4 day week which it would have taken to make it even remotely tolerable,remained nothing but a dream for all in my experience of the so called ‘militant’ 1970’s.Nor for that matter do I remember the miners even asking for that reasonable 21 hour 3 day week to at least stand a chance of protecting those who ended up crippled or dying horribly with black lung.If that’s supposed to be ‘ruling the roost’ who needs ‘happy medium’ for the employer classes.