Self driving lorries. Again. [Merged]

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … roads.html

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The problem is, the people who are advocating this have no idea of how our motorways, or lorries for that matter, operate.

I love all the “build seperate roads for them” and “build more freight railways” comments, like any of these people would want that new road/railway or freight terminal build anywhere near their house. I love “all lorries should be on the road at night” comments too, as they will surely be happy to start working night shifts to accept deliveries & collections from their places of work & have a wagon unloading at their local Co-op accross the road at 2am. Of course, the Co-op delivery would just be handballed on & off a Sprinter van wouldn’t it, saving loads of time & money :unamused:

So much clueless commentary from the public on any transport related matter.

Could work if they split up at junctions to allow cars to slip on?
Depends on the exact programming.
I wonder if Trucker Jay could help work it all out??

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Why don’t they ask UKtramp? His many, many qualifications make him the obvious man to save the day…

I expect this subject to be discussed live on air, on the Jeremy Vine show.
Cue Mr Angry trucker from up North, and an all about slanging match with Mrs Posh from Harlow, who hates lorries, let alone three joined up at the hip .
Another " actor", oh oops, I mean caller,will ring in to back up Mrs Posh.
Same old story, get freight on rails, lorry ban in the day or at commuter times so the poor darlings dont get held up by thundering, menacing juggernauts .
Who all seem to jacknive on traffic radio reports.
Ignorance is bliss.

let the mayhem commence :smiling_imp:

I vote dozy or trucker jay to drive the “lead” vehicle :smiley:

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41038220

the nodding donkey:

Franglais:

Why don’t they ask UKtramp? His many, many qualifications make him the obvious man to save the day…

To be fair he has talked about his qualifications, but has he ever claimed to be a good lorry driver? Can’t accuse the man of being boastful can we?

Franglais:

the nodding donkey:

Franglais:

To be fair he has talked about his qualifications, but has he ever claimed to be a good lorry driver? Can’t accuse the man of being boastful can we?

You may be right. I don’t recall him stating he is a good lorry driver. He has called himself “above average” though.

So many things could go wrong with this, unfortunately it will take someone getting injured or worse before they stop it. What if either of the rear trucks has a blow out for instance?

And they wonder why they can’t get young blood into the haulage industry? Errrrm; spend a wad of cash getting your class 2 then class 1 licence and then find your replaced by a micro chip in a few years time?? Like it or not, it’s the future. Even if it’s a complete disaster, they will make it work.

So the following vehicles will have driver who is doing the steering…

Effectively you’ll be tailgating a 44 ton box in a 44 ton box, whilst being tailgated by another 44 ton box. And the public trying to get through the gaps to make the junction…
What happens if one of the vehicles in the Convoy has a blow out :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

What happens if a suicidal Audi driver realises that he is about to miss his exit, and goes for the gap and the second vehicle needs to brake to avoid a collision? Are his brakes linked to the vehicle behind aswel? Or is the following vehicle going to rear end the braking vehicle? (At 44 ton, at 56mph… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: )

Quote from story, lead vehicle to be drove by human following vehicles to be steered by humans how the ■■■■ does that make them driverless, how does it get onto a loading bay,never going to happen in my opinion

This is a system of three lorries…the front one is driven normally and the back two follow speed …The front
and back ones are still manned.
Perfectly good for those long hauls across Canada or the USA so why not try it on M25 on a Friday afternoon…oh wait a minute !

Lead driver takes full responsibility for a 3 truck pile up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A platoon of trucks isn’t such a bad idea, half the time were in convoy with several vehicles a couple of car lengths apart so why not take advantage. Scania put a video out a while back
youtu.be/n0SXO_hzYDY

Haha I thought that they were already in convoy platoon mode they drive that close to each other as it is

Rumours that the idea for this came from observing container wagons on the A14 are yet to be confirmed. .

Can you Imagine a 3 truck convoy with cabbage agency at the helm, or heaven forbid the dozy1.

I think it was Uber? Referred to their drivers as “meat puppets”? Inconvenient and expensive cogs in the money making machine.