Your thoughts

Picked some timber up today and put some internals on it but didn’t feel comfortable with it ( was going to put 4 on each stack not 2 ) , but in the end decided I’d put some rachet straps on , so after crawling along the top of the stacks ( ■■■■ up to eyeballs ) I racheted them up and jobs a good un .
But was there a need ( think my issues with vosa have got me running a bit scared ) , even without those issues I think I’d of not felt happy with just internals ,
So triple stacked to nearly roof what way would you of done it :bulb: , ta
Nb I just know someone is going to come up with such a simple idea , but I just couldn’t see it :wink:

Timber will move, most times. I would of racheted them as well.

I tend to chuck the strap over when they are stacked two high. Keep it near the end of the stack then feed/flick them over the top one as the forkie lifts them on.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

My thoughts.

1. You should always use proper ratchet straps on timber, or any pallets that could move and are not likely to be damaged by the strap.

2. Internal straps should be clearly labelled with their maximum capacity. The best internals will have a max load of 400k.

3. You should know the weight of your payload & use sufficient securing equipment… straps or chains.

4. Does your boss know you haven’t got a clue what you are doing?

5. Have you ever considered fridge work or something where you’re not as likely to cause a monumental disaster?

El Deano:
Timber will move, most times. I would of racheted them as well.

I tend to chuck the strap over when they are stacked two high. Keep it near the end of the stack then feed/flick them over the top one as the forkie lifts them on.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ta ,I’ll try that

Jingle Jon:
My thoughts.

1. You should always use proper ratchet straps on timber, or any pallets that could move and are not likely to be damaged by the strap.

2. Internal straps should be clearly labelled with their maximum capacity. The best internals will have a max load of 400k.

3. You should know the weight of your payload & use sufficient securing equipment… straps or chains.

5. Have you ever considered fridge work or something where you’re not as likely to cause a monumental disaster?

:laughing: :laughing:

Tidy job Dozy, if anything I think I would have put a strap over the middle with the ratchet on the other side so as the strap was pulling the other way, but seeing as the roof pillar is there it doesnt matter to much.

Jingle Jon:

1. Have you ever considered fridge work or something where you’re not as likely to cause a monumental disaster?

Quick question JJ, were you born a complete ■■■■ or do you get up early every morning to practise? I thought this was a forum for helping others out, not to be a sanctimonious bell end.

scottie0011:
Tidy job Dozy, if anything I think I would have put a strap over the middle with the ratchet on the other side so as the strap was pulling the other way, but seeing as the roof pillar is there it doesnt matter to much.

Thanks , I did think about a strap in middle but couldn’t see any battens to put under middle to stop it bowing , and forkie was long gone

And…were off.

Stobarts trailers have load bearing curtains. You needn’t have bothered with ratches.

scottie0011:

Jingle Jon:

1. Have you ever considered fridge work or something where you’re not as likely to cause a monumental disaster?

Quick question JJ, were you born a complete [zb] or do you get up early every morning to practise? I thought this was a forum for helping others out, not to be a sanctimonious bell end.

I provided three constructive answers. You provided what exactly?

One of those questions points clearly to the fact that his boss is responsible for his training. The other is a statement - question about his ability to do the job… it might be better for him and all other road users and pedestrians if he did a job he’s capable of.

You might try explaining how you’re helped… you’ll be able to use the edge of a cigarette paper to write it on.

the nodding donkey:
Stobarts trailers have load bearing curtains. You needn’t have bothered with ratches.

Load bearing curtains will NOT secure timber… it is not what they were designed for.

Jingle Jon:

scottie0011:

Jingle Jon:

Quick question JJ, were you born a complete [zb] or do you get up early every morning to practise? I thought this was a forum for helping others out, not to be a sanctimonious bell end.

I provided two constructive answers. You provided what exactly?

One of those questions points clearly to the fact that his boss is responsible for his training. The other is a statement - question about his ability to do the job… it might be better for him and all other road users and pedestrians if he did a job he’s capable of.

You might try explaining how you’re helped… you’ll be able to use the edge of a cigarette paper to write it on.

I posted to him how I do the job on a flatbed trailer, you have posted 2 derogitary (sic) comments, maybe you should get out of your Ivory tower somedays and get into the real world instead of being Lord bloody Snooty. ( please don’t use long and complicated words when replying, I’m only a thick lorry driver)

scottie0011:
I’m only a thick lorry driver)

Please stop stating the obvious! It’s spoiling the internet.

Green curtains,red chassis…oh dear you have hit rock bottom :smiley:

If that’s the kind of pillar…

I think it is. I’m amazed that the apparently H&S conscious Stobart spec their trailers with it still.

I’ve seen more drivers on the floor nursing smashed faces because of those things springing open than a punch-up in a Millwall pub.

As for the timber. I can only remember loading it ‘old style’. That involved getting right up on top of it with chains. You could have extra dunnage to protect the timber, hook around the chassis and chain down. Did regular loads at 15’ high in and out of Southampton docks for years like that.

Jingle Jon:

scottie0011:
I’m only a thick lorry driver)

Please stop stating the obvious! It’s spoiling the internet.

Wow, such an obnoxious ■■■■ nugget, I’m glad I don’t work for you, I really couldn’t work for such an anally retentive person.

Another for my foes list.

If in doubt, strap it down. Internals are of no use, neither are XL curtains. You needed to stop the load from sliding or tilting. Only strapping it to the deck would do that.

At the very least strap down the first two decks first then strap down the top deck seperately.It’s a joke expecting one lot of straps to hold 3 decks of timber packs let alone using the mickey mouse internals.Let me guess you’re not given enough straps or the time to do that. :unamused:

Couple of thing, looking at the pic Doze has posted, I would have put the ratchet straps onto the chassis not where they are, I thought that was where they should be anyway, as per DVSA stipulation. Which brings me on to my second point, as has been mentioned by El Deano, timber moves and settles down as the vehicle moves along the road meaning that the straps will become loose, so half hour down the road, pull over and give the ratchets a quick tighten, hence the reason for having them on the chassis so you don’t have to open the curtains to do it.