Working your notice

Ive got a new job but my current employer requires 4 weeks notice which I think is abit long so im going to ask if they’ll let me go after 2 weeks. They could be awkward and make me work the 4 weeks so im just wondering who has honoured their notice period or who has just walked out?

Nate187:
Ive got a new job but my current employer requires 4 weeks notice which I think is abit long so im going to ask if they’ll let me go after 2 weeks. They could be awkward and make me work the 4 weeks so im just wondering who has honoured their notice period or who has just walked out?

Have you any outstanding leave? How long have you worked there, if you don’t care and have a start date explain to the new company they expect you to work 4 weeks notice and if they are ok, they will hold the job open or you could just quit, the company wouldn’t hesitate in sacking you on the spot, and they would then not want to pay said 4 weeks notice.

You’re not in prison just leave when you want.

Ive worked there 12 months. Ive taken 3 weeks hol out of the 4 im entitled to, hols are jan-Dec so I imagine I owe them a week. Im paid monthly so im worried if I just leave they wont pay me.

Which they’d be entitled to.

I think four weeks is a bit long, but that was the deal when you took the job.

I’d ask if you can go early. We have just taken a van driver on and had to wait a month, way it goes sometimes.

There is nothing legally stopping you from leaving whenever you want. There will be a financial penalty though which would reflect in your wages. They will work out how much you are owed or otherwise, this would then be your decision to make whether or not if your new job is worth losing out on any lost wages.

UKtramp:
There is nothing legally stopping you from leaving whenever you want.

Other than the legally binding contract you signed.

There will be a financial penalty though which would reflect in your wages. They will work out how much you are owed or otherwise, this would then be your decision to make whether or not if your new job is worth losing out on any lost wages.

They cannot legally make any deductions from your wages. What they can do though is sue for damages arising from you walking out early such as the cost of getting an agency driver for the remainder of your notice period or until they can recruit someone else whichever comes first.

Surely you would have explained to your future employer during you application/interview process that you would have to give your 4 weeks notice to the firm you are leaving before you could start with them?

Personally I would work my notice if you can’t come to some sort of agreement. Walking away won’t do you any favours in the long run, besides you will need a reference from your old employer for your new job.

If you leave on good terms and the new job isn’t as good as you hoped, your old employer may take you back on if things don’t work out, and if you leave on a good note.

Besides you won’t come across as very reliable to your new boss if you can’t keep to your end of your employment contract, which will be demonstrated by yourself if you just walk from your old job. If they are a decent firm, they’ll wait the required period. If they aren’t prepared to do so then they can’t be up to much.

Conor:

UKtramp:
There is nothing legally stopping you from leaving whenever you want.

Other than the legally binding contract you signed.

They cannot legally make any deductions from your wages. What they can do though is sue for damages arising from you walking out early such as the cost of getting an agency driver for the remainder of your notice period or until they can recruit someone else whichever comes first.

They will pay you up to date to the point you left, that is what they owe you , they will not attempt to go through any court for the contract you signed. It would cost them more than your months salary to do this.

Many years ago I went for a job but I told them I couldnt
start for 6 weeks due to not leaving the previous company in the lurch(long story) it got me the job because it showed I wouldn’t ■■■■ them over.

Also remember one day you might be desperate and need to go back. Burning bridges and all that

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

P Stoff:
Many years ago I went for a job but I told them I couldnt
start for 6 weeks due to not leaving the previous company in the lurch(long story) it got me the job because it showed I wouldn’t ■■■■ them over.

Also remember one day you might be desperate and need to go back. Burning bridges and all that

Yes - this with bells on.

doesnt make you sound very reliable if you’re willing to walk before your notice.

I handed my notice in three weeks ago at the start of my two weeks leave, just had a tourterous week in with no motivation and only one more to go before I leave.
Working 4 weeks notice would kill me, this two weeks in with no motivation is a crippler.

If you decide not to honour the notice period you were happy enough to agree to when they were giving you a job and a pay check, don’t come on here whining, ■■■■■■■■ and asking for legal advice if they don’t pay you the full wage you were expecting

Handed my 4 weeks notice in at my previous employer and it just so happened that the last 2 weeks I had holiday booked also they were quiet so in the end only did a week. But saying this it did say in my contract that using pre booked holiday for notice period was at employers discretion…

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If I was an employer and one of my employees handed his/her notice in then as a rule I’d want them gone asap. A disgruntled employee can spell catastrophe for a business.

4 weeks notice is nothing, you won’t even realise how quick it will go. Count yourself lucky my friend, i had to give 12months notice and i still have 14weeks left to work of that.
I would pay a lot of money to just leave today and move on to the next job.

If I was you, I’d just work my notice and then leave knowing you have done the right thing.
Every time I have left a job, I’ve always tried to give as much notice as possible, karma has got a habit of coming back and biting you on the bum.
When I got made redundant, my previous employer heard about it and rang up and offered me work, It’s amazing how small a world transport is.

If it’s a competitor you’re going to and your soon to be ex employer mess you around, I’m sure you could let your new employer know a few secrets…Customer names etc.

It depends on if you want to leave on good terms or if you could never see yourself going back in a million years. If you want to leave the door open for the future either work your notice or have the discussion to see if they will let you go sooner. If your not bothered just tell them xxxx is my last day, deal with it kind of thing.

Bost:
Count yourself lucky my friend, i had to give 12months notice and i still have 14weeks left to work of that.

Why 12 months if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk