Working your notice

El Deano:

Bost:
Count yourself lucky my friend, i had to give 12months notice and i still have 14weeks left to work of that.

Why 12 months if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Bootneck at a guess

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

the maoster:
If I was an employer and one of my employees handed his/her notice in then as a rule I’d want them gone asap. A disgruntled employee can spell catastrophe for a business.

Says a lot about you if all your employees leave disgruntled haha!

Seriously though people leave for lots of reasons and it’s not always cuz they hate the company they’re working for.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

groovemachine:
If I was you, I’d just work my notice and then leave knowing you have done the right thing.
Every time I have left a job, I’ve always tried to give as much notice as possible, karma has got a habit of coming back and biting you on the bum.
When I got made redundant, my previous employer heard about it and rang up and offered me work, It’s amazing how small a world transport is.

I’ve taken on people a second time, like you say, better to leave on good terms all round.

Muckaway:
If it’s a competitor you’re going to and your soon to be ex employer mess you around, I’m sure you could let your new employer know a few secrets…Customer names etc.

Or alternatively you wouldn’t and try to be the person you hope everyone else would be.

Yes you are often disappointed, but you can sleep easy.

Nate187:
Ive got a new job but my current employer requires 4 weeks notice which I think is abit long so im going to ask if they’ll let me go after 2 weeks. They could be awkward and make me work the 4 weeks so im just wondering who has honoured their notice period or who has just walked out?

You do not have to work a period of notice that is not reasonable. In short, if the period of notice could prevent you from taking another job… then your current employer has no power to prevent you leaving now.

What they can do is hold you to reasonable inclusions of the employment contract.

They must pay you all the hours you have worked or in accordance with any agreed salary. They must also pay you all of your holiday dues.if they wish to recover costs based on a signed agreement - this must be after they have paid what you are owed.

Read your employment contract, if you have signed to agree this can be deducted from your earnings - then they may take it from your final settlement.

Most companies do not hold people to this because the cost of a legal challenge over-rides etc. Plus, the courts rarely find in favour of the employer in such circumstances.

Best of luck.

4 weeks isn’t unreasonable though.

IronEddie:

It might be, it depends on if or not the industry standard reflects this. None can say with absolute confidence what the County Court will conclude… the devil is in the detail.

I wouldn’t hold any of my staff to the fire because that would be unreasonable… even though their contract requires a minimum of two weeks notice.

And if it isn’t bleeding obvious - anyone can cause a lot of cost if they are not ‘let go’ with goodwill.

IronEddie:

Especially if that’s what your contract says that you’ve agreed to and signed

Generally used by companies with monthly pay in my experience.

Last job I left was 4 weeks notice, spoke to them and got it agreed at two weeks.

Everyone happy.

Rowley010:

IronEddie:

Especially if that’s what your contract says that you’ve agreed to and signed

It’s generally accepted in legal circles that employment contracts are written by or on behalf of companies for the benefit of companies. This often breaches what is considered to be reasonable in civil courts. At the end of the day any company can write whatever they want into a contract - a contract of employment does not alter the law.

Why 12 months if you don’t mind me asking?

[/quote]
Bootneck at guess

Not a bootneck lol just a mere squaddie, soon to be civvie…and i can not wait to have all these problems everyone on here is constantly ■■■■■■■■ about.

As an employer for a while in the past,I would prefer to pay a driver’s notice and have him leave on the spot rather than risk a disgruntled individual "working"his notice and causing any amount of damage in any of several ways.

Gidders:
As an employer for a while in the past,I would prefer to pay a driver’s notice and have him leave on the spot rather than risk a disgruntled individual "working"his notice and causing any amount of damage in any of several ways.

bittersweet my leaving the car transporters, they always and i mean always paid people off but i was presumably trusted to work normally, i did and always would, no matter how bad they behaved, there is such a thing as pride in your work, yet wasn’t thought enough of to have the statutory leaving interview in fact my sole communication from the company from the day i put my notice in was a 7 word text informing me where to leave the lorry on Friday afternoon.

it did however confirm, if that was ever needed, it wasn’t, that my decision to go was the right.

People get the idea that it’s hard to find good drivers, and that is true, but its just as hard to find an employer, or their management, worth working for.
When you find that ideal job where respect care and loyalty is a two way street you bloody well look after it.

Thanks for the response guys. I handed in my notice Monday and requested a shorter notice period. They got back to me and said if they get a replacement within the 4 weeks I can go early. Alot of people who have left there either just leave or tell them how much notice they’re working. Ive tried to do the decent thing and ask to go early.
I didn’t even sign my contract. It was presented to me to read over and sign but I still have both copies!

Pays to leave on good terms, unless the job is that bad you just can’t take it. Good luck with your new job,.

Nate187:
Thanks for the response guys. I handed in my notice Monday and requested a shorter notice period. They got back to me and said if they get a replacement within the 4 weeks I can go early. Alot of people who have left there either just leave or tell them how much notice they’re working. Ive tried to do the decent thing and ask to go early.
I didn’t even sign my contract. It was presented to me to read over and sign but I still have both copies!

As I said, if you want to leave the door open to return in the future then you are going to have grin and bare it. If your not bothered and could never see yourself going back there then just tell them what day your leaving, and on that day go.

Is the new job paid weekly or monthly if weekly then tell your old job you are finishing after a week any company that keeps you for a full months notice is very desperate and you did try do it the right way
They will have to pay for any work up to leaving as contract is not signed

I’ve just had the exact same issue. I asked how much noticed I needed to give and he said 4 week. I left after three. I have to pay back £125 in owed holidays which I’m not too bothered about because the new job is better pay and it was worth my while leaving early. At the end of the day, it’s every man for himself, obviously your previous boss won’t see it like that, mine hasn’t. But you’ll be forgotten about the week after you leave. Do what’s right for you and your family if you have one.