"Northern Lights" Icelandic Diary

Been a while since we’ve had a diary on here and I’m bored to death waiting for my flight from Manchester on Sunday morning so it’s time for an Icelandic edition.

Some of you may know I had a little bit of a bust-up with a site manager at one of the biggest heavy lift companies based in the UK where I was employed as a transport/crane supervisor on offshore wind projects and had to choose between moving to Redditch or moving to Reykjavik. Decided to give Scandinavia one last try and this time it has finally worked out as I’ve ended up as a manager at Iceland’s largest mobile crane hire company. With a population of just 330,000 I figured I might never get another chance to work in such a small country and whatever happens in the future I’m glad I’ve decided to give it a shot and get out of my comfort zone at home.

We begin on a Monday morning at the yard in Hafnarfjörður on the outskirts of Reykjavik carrying out general duties and loading various crane ballast onto several trailers.

Then at lunch time a bombshell! There’s a big lifting job up North at a geo thermal power station and one of the cranes needs an extra 25t of counterweight and 4 steel outrigger pads. The regular ballast driver is reluctant to go as his wife is about to give birth and the job will take around a week to complete so I am asked to step into the breach. At first I was rather furious and considered implementing a total ■■■ ban on all employees to avoid such troublesome issues in the future but after a period of short reflection I figured a 1000km+ round trip across the most stunning country on the planet in a manual Scania V8 with accommodation and all expenses paid wasn’t that bad of a deal after all!

After hastily throwing my ■■■■ in the cab and refuelling I leave town at around 3.30pm and head for the 6km long Akranes tunnel before turning right onto Route 1 which is more affectionately known as the “Icelandic Ring Road”.

I soon pass the aluminium smelting plant at Grundartangi and my 500 km route takes me through the towns of Borganes, Blönduós, Varmahlíð, Akureyri (Iceland’s 2nd. city) and then on to my overnight stop at Húsavík, the country’s Whale watching capital.

There’s some nice scenery in these parts and after passing several UK registered camper vans I soon realise that many people pay £1000’s to visit Iceland and maybe I shouldn’t have been so uptight earlier as I’m getting paid to see the country and live one of my dreams.

Time for a 15 minute tacho break at Staðarskáli N1 service station. I would normally go quite a bit further than this and get a 45 in before Akureyri but as I was busting for a ■■■■ and rather hungry the plan changed. The food in these places is passable but as Scandinavia is the junk food capital of the World healthy options are hard to come by (with the exception of a chicken salad with mango).

Mini panic attack when coming back to the truck as I thought the front bull bar had fallen off! Turns out it was being repainted in the workshop and I hadn’t noticed it!

Disaster averted and I press on through the Icelandic mountains into Akureryi and then eventually on to Húsavík where I meet one of our crane drivers and park up outside a hotel. No nights out in the cab here unless absolutely necessary!

The next morning we make the 30km journey on a private road up the mountain to Þeistareykir geo thermal power station in the middle of nowhere and start to set-up the cranes to begin the lifting operation. With the remoteness and hissing steam everywhere I wouldn’t have been at all surprised had a Bond villain appeared out of the shadows at any moment.

Part 2 to follow soon…

Living the dream there fella, looking forward to part two. Well written

Wow, stunning scenery. That’s not a bad life really.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Another truck arrives with extra ballast and lifting gear and we start to prepare a 250 ton Grove crane for the first lift which shall take place the following day, a 90 ton generator.

As a lift supervisor, I’m sent up in the MEWP to monitor the operation and keep in touch with the crane operator and site foreman via radio.

IMG_1899.JPG

The main reason for me being up here is not to enjoy the view but to check the clearance between the boom head and the lights/roof of the building. This job has been meticulously planned for several months and there is little margin for error.

With the generator installed by mid-morning on Wednesday we position another 250 ton Liebherr crane to carry out a tandem lift of the steam turbine and then add 97 tons of counterweight.

Once again there’s not much space to set the crane up in and we are being constantly monitored by the H+S department from Landsvirkjun, which is pretty much the equivalent of the national grid in the UK. This is actually one of the few sites in Iceland with any real H+S type presence and considering this is one of the country’s premier infrastructure projects the interference is minimal.

Thursday morning arrives and after a quick pep talk, myself, the 2 crane operators and site foreman prepare for the installation of the steam turbine in front of the TV cameras and top brass from Fuji Electric Co. (Japan) plus several Icelandic government ministers.

Part 3 to be uploaded at a later date…

Great read. Looking forward to part 3!

Proper job

What blueovalcraig said.

Inspiring & interesting rolled into one.

Went to Iceland on holiday in 2015 and thought it was epic then, great to read your diary and am very jealous!

sent using smoke signals

Good posts, have you tried the rotten shark meat yet ? Or even whale meat ? I bottled it on both accounts :blush:

Sounds like you’re living the dream hopefully you’ll still enjoy it after a full winter has come and gone !!

Great post…certainly beat spaghetti junction on a wet Thursday…can we have some more pls… :smiley:

A much better read than the usual drivel we put on here.

Looking forward to part 3.

Thinking of taking a week’s holiday there with my family before long.

I’ve heard it’s not cheap - but how expensive is “not cheap” though?

If I’ve already got bed, board, and travel itself sorted - what else am I going to need money for other than the local food?

I like strong cheese me, but strong fish? Hmm… I’d have to see what it smells like first I reckon.

Hakarl.
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/icelandic-cuisine-hakarl-iceland-fermented-shark.html

… I wouldn’t mind seeing the Aurora whilst there too, but does one have to time the visit right to get that? :confused:

Thanks, well I’ve just accidentally deleted part 3 but will try to get it up a bit later…

Duck:
Thanks, well I’ve just accidentally deleted part 3 but will try to get it up a bit later…

brilliant read, good career move, this last comment would have had Dipper D. coming back with some witty retort involving the use of blue tablets no doubt :slight_smile:

Winseer:

If I’ve already got bed, board, and travel itself sorted - what else am I going to need money for other than the local food?

I like strong cheese me, but strong fish? Hmm… I’d have to see what it smells like first I reckon.

Hakarl.
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/icelandic-cuisine-hakarl-iceland-fermented-shark.html

… I wouldn’t mind seeing the Aurora whilst there too, but does one have to time the visit right to get that? :confused:

Northern lights are best from September to April as for the stinky fish it does smell rank and I love stinky cheese and even I didn’t bother. As for the cost of stuff it is very expensive but we found restaurants were good quality and the cost of beer was from about £5 for a 330ml bottle upwards to £8 for a 500ml glass of the cold stuff. Don’t do coach trips hire a car and do it all yourself.

So after some final checks and small adjustments with the lifting tackle on Thursday morning the hoisting operation commences. The 250t turbine is removed from it’s transport cradle and at this point there is around 45-60 minutes downtime as the underside is thoroughly cleaned and inspected before we are allowed to continue.

After being given the all clear “basket boy” gets back into the MEWP for a bird’s eye view. I secretly suspect that the other members of the lifting team aren’t too fond of heights as there were no other volunteers!

The cameras are rolling as the turbine is lowered into it’s final position as we hand over control of the lift to Fuji who carry out some minor adjustments during the last alignment stage.

With phase 2 now complete it’s time to remove the Liebherr crane and reposition the Grove for the final stage of the operation, the cooling/condenser system. The plan is that the Liebherr will load the unit onto a waiting Goldhofer trailer in the storage area outside and the Grove will then hoist it into the final position. The rest of Thursday is consumed with moving the cranes and lugging the required ballast around the power station with the trucks.

At the final hurdle we encounter our first jobsworth type who doesn’t want me to use an access door from the switch room into the main power plant so I have to make a 500m detour around the outside of the building only to find that the alternate access door is locked. Then he asks for more barrier type around the outriggers on the Grove to prevent access and I’m sent on a treasure hunt. No standard red/white barrier type available but I find this in the cab of the Scania. “POLICE-DO NOT ENTER”, very fitting given the whole place is reminiscent of a Soviet gulag in the depths of Siberia!

fullsizeoutput_11a.jpeg

The final lift goes off without a hitch and after de-rigging the cranes the plan is to haul part of the ballast back to the yard with 3 trucks and leave the 2 cranes onsite over the weekend as we don’t have a movement permit to drive back to Reykjavik yet. However, disaster strikes! The black Scania takes a nosedive! The air suspension on the front axle is F.U.B.A.R.D, she’s sitting lower than a snake’s belly and with no chance of getting a new airbag on a Friday afternoon I’m going nowhere! Then the 250t Liebherr crane start losing precopious amounts of transmission fluid and isn’t up to the challenge of going back home in any case. The 2 crane operators take the 50 min. flight back to the capital and I have a choice of riding shotgun in the 8x4 Volvo or staying up North over the weekend in a hotel and using the company car. I take option 2 and it’s road trip time!

Ásbyrgi canyon

After the canyon I head further up the road towards Dettifoss, Europe’s most powerful waterfall.
However, the road is closed unfortunately so I trace my steps back through Húsavík and end up at the smaller Goðafoss before heading to Myvatn nature baths, the Northern equivalent of the “Blue Lagoon” but a quarter of the price (myvatnnaturebaths.is )! Several Asian girls with North American accents decide to sit next to me in the warm, soothing volcanic water and as much as I’d like to get up and go to the bar and restaurant I decide it’s probably best not to “stand up” at this precise moment in time and wait until they leave some considerable time later! :blush: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

We’ll pick up the “disaster management” part of the story in part 4!

It’s true what they say, every negative is followed by a positive. ( I think that’s a saying although I may have just made that up …)

Great pics. Shame about the breakdowns but at least you got to see some amazing sights.

Thanks for that really enjoyed reading it. :smiley: :smiley:

bald bloke:

Winseer:

Hakarl.

Northern lights are best from September to April as for the stinky fish it does smell rank and I love stinky cheese and even I didn’t bother. As for the cost of stuff it is very expensive but we found restaurants were good quality and the cost of beer was from about £5 for a 330ml bottle upwards to £8 for a 500ml glass of the cold stuff. Don’t do coach trips hire a car and do it all yourself.

Thanks for that last bit - that is news to me there. :slight_smile: I knew about the cost of living stuff, common to all around Scandinavia of course. How much is car hire then, or is it just that the “excursions” are pure tourist trap?