Horse Boxes speed restricted?

Bit of info required please. Now i’ve only been in the job since last year and I’ve had a few horse box/lorries overtake at what seems to be excessive speed. Definitely faster than 60mph on a few occasions and also seen some pretty poor examples of driving standards from some. Do the owners/drivers of these vehicles have to abide by the same rules as hgv drivers ? do they have to hold cpc card etc ? and are they supposed to be restricted ? cheers .

Razzman1:
Bit of info required please. Now i’ve only been in the job since last year and I’ve had a few horse box/lorries overtake at what seems to be excessive speed. Definitely faster than 60mph on a few occasions and also seen some pretty poor examples of driving standards from some. Do the owners/drivers of these vehicles have to abide by the same rules as hgv drivers ? do they have to hold cpc card etc ? and are they supposed to be restricted ? cheers .

NEIGH LAD. :grimacing:

I imagine it would depend on a few variables.
If the box is being used for private use, and is under 7.5t, then it won’t need a tacho, meaning they can drive how they want with little recourse. Yes it should still be restricted, but doesn’t mean it is.
Cpc is only for professional drivers, again, not private.

This could be a bit of a mine field though. How do you distinguish a mother taking Tarquin and his pony for a gallop round the fields and a professional jockey or employeed stable hand moving a horse from one stable to another at the request of a business owner?

One is private, the other isn’t, but how can you tell at a glance and without stopping them and getting all the info.

The one I drive is certainly restricted, and I use the tacho, and do a defect sheet every trip.
But then they are employing me to drive it, despite it being exempt from O licence and on private tax.

I dare say they can drive it themselves without a cpc,

and I wouldn’t want to drive it faster than limiter when sometimes you could have £4m worth of live freight

I do see some old Cargo and roadrunner puddle jumpers at meetings, some of these are pre-limiter and driven on car licences, so I guess that do what they like?

Polo2.png

Razzman1:

Were they in a Mitsubishi Canter?

Any 7.5t used before July 2001 don’t have to be restricted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatboy slimslow:

Razzman1:

NEIGH LAD. :grimacing:

:unamused: :laughing: always one eh ? suppose I walked into that one

Thanks guys, some good info there. Had one on the M5 a few days back sitting in slow lane at around 50mph. As I went to overtake, the middle aged female driver decided to speed up and accelerate away from me only to slow to 50 again a few miles ahead. Went for a second attempt at an overtake and she did the same again. I decided to just stay back for a bit and then passed her on the climb onto Avonmouth bridge. As I passed she was looking and laughing like it was a game to her. Quite a large truck, maybe 18tonner so was wondering if they had any professional training ect .

Razzman1:
Thanks guys, some good info there. Had one on the M5 a few days back sitting in slow lane at around 50mph. As I went to overtake, the middle aged female driver decided to speed up and accelerate away from me only to slow to 50 again a few miles ahead. Went for a second attempt at an overtake and she did the same again. I decided to just stay back for a bit and then passed her on the climb onto Avonmouth bridge. As I passed she was looking and laughing like it was a game to her. Quite a large truck, maybe 18tonner so was wondering if they had any professional training ect .

Only to be daddy’s spoilt little girl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did one of my dcpc 7 hour stints there was a lass there who worked for a riding stables (pretty tidy too). She had been put on the course by her boss because from what she told us her employer said it came under the hire and reward interpretation driving regs. She had 7.5 ton licence from memory.

Couldn’t have really cared to be honest, was just nice to have something to look at for 7 hours instead of a load of fat, miserable hairy arse wagon drivers. Not sure she enjoyed our company as much though

99% of the horse boxes I see are driven well below those speeds. Normally tip-toeing round corners etc because they actually care that they have 800Kg of prime Tesco mystery meat in the back!

Driver CPC is needed if it is for hire or reward. In the case of transporting horses, someone running a pony trecking business or involved in professional racing would be hire or reward, whereas someone transporting their own horse which they use for leisure purposes wouldn’t be.

Speaking from experience and research for private use. (professionals have to obey the well known rules)

Speed restrictors: My ’ 96 7.5t Merc 814 was not restricted, just a little red light on the tacho when you went over the speed set. Which you could adjust!
The Bedford CK, too much speed was never a problem!
I had an ERF 17t, speed limiter fitted but it did not work, never picked up at MoT, never got a tug. But speed=high fuel use, so kept within sensible limits.
Like others have said, they will have to be restricted after a certain date. (never had a newish model)

CPC: Not needed when I take our horses, but if I was to do it professionally, then I would. But, as we run a business, you could argue my driving was for profit. (or loss given the current nag market).

Yes, Miss Cindy Black-Leggings can drive her latest mega-buck 7.5t truck Sugar Daddy bought her on a pre 1979 licence (or pass “C1”) with no tacho, no CPC, no time limits on drivers hours or road sense…

If you have 3 x 600kg of Tescos finest burger meat in the back at a value in excess of £25k, you do tend to drive gently round corners, but on the straight road, vrooooom.

Hope this helps.
Paul

PS, whenever I was on driving, tacho in, record my checks and respect the hours. But no CPC.

sonflowerinwales:
Speaking from experience and research for private use. (professionals have to obey the well known rules)

Speed restrictors: My ’ 96 7.5t Merc 814 was not restricted, just a little red light on the tacho when you went over the speed set. Which you could adjust!
The Bedford CK, too much speed was never a problem!
I had an ERF 17t, speed limiter fitted but it did not work, never picked up at MoT, never got a tug. But speed=high fuel use, so kept within sensible limits.
Like others have said, they will have to be restricted after a certain date. (never had a newish model)

CPC: Not needed when I take our horses, but if I was to do it professionally, then I would. But, as we run a business, you could argue my driving was for profit. (or loss given the current nag market).

Yes, Miss Cindy Black-Leggings can drive her latest mega-buck 7.5t truck Sugar Daddy bought her on a pre 1979 (you mean 1997) :wink: licence (or pass “C1”) with no tacho, no CPC, no time limits on drivers hours or road sense…

If you have 3 x 600kg of Tescos finest burger meat in the back at a value in excess of £25k, you do tend to drive gently round corners, but on the straight road, vrooooom.

Hope this helps.
Paul

PS, whenever I was on driving, tacho in, record my checks and respect the hours. But no CPC.

Razzman1:

slow lane and professional training :question: :laughing:

Ooops, dyslexic twit this afternoon. 1997 it is!

Seems crazy to me that they let people drive large, potentially dangerous vehicles with little to no training or need to follow the same rules as a professional driver. Just because they’re doing it for a leisure purpose not business.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
Seems crazy to me that they let people drive large, potentially dangerous vehicles with little to no training or need to follow the same rules as a professional driver. Just because they’re doing it for a leisure purpose not business.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Yep It is a crazy world :open_mouth:

There are folk out there who can drive a 18m w&d on the old class 3 licence, but can’t drive an urban artic :open_mouth: