"I'm oldskool".....what exactly does it mean?!

Guy on our place constantly tells us he is “oldskool” and he doesn’t use sat navs…so does “oldskool” basically mean your a technophobe :smiley:
Btw this guy is in his 30s and has been driving for 6 years so don’t know how long you have to drive to qualify for an oldskool badge & certificate :smiley:

If he’s only 30 he’s not old school just tecno phobe

If you can get the job done using old fashioned technology and without being wet-nursed, you’re old skool

Robroy is the man to ask.

the nodding donkey:
Robroy is the man to ask.

When he gets out of detention! :smiley:

But in the meantime you could ask dozy, as he’s apparently old skool…

It means…

You can’t spell school correctly.

knowing what to do with two log book’s. :wink: :wink:

yourhavingalarf:
It means…

You can’t spell school correctly.

You’re having a laugh ain’t you? :smiley:

Hes having a laugh in his 30s driving 6 years, still at the newbie stage :laughing: :laughing:

Is his name dozy as I believe he said he was oldskool

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mdourish:
Is his name dozy as I believe he said he was oldskool

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Late to the party, but pull up a chair anyway.

Oldskool is a mentality you can have at any age.

You can spot them easy enough when one driver wont leave the yard without getting a fitter to replace a bulb whilst another guy is doing what he can out on the road to get the truck back to the yard.

Example, me of the tender age of 29 and only driving since 21. I had an air bag blow up on my unit lift axle when running at 44T, I find the next layby to disconnect the trailer, lift the axle, and drive (After phoning the boss admittedly) to the nearest Volvo 30mins away. 45mins later Im off back to my trailer with new bag fitted to hitch up and still get to where I planned originally that evening just 2-3hrs later but still got to the pub.

Other drivers would have phoned that in, waited 1-2hrs for a fitter to turn up, then drop the trailer and go to Volvo and so on and then wasted so much time probably stayed in that layby for the night 2hrs away from delivery point, with no facilities and cried on Facebook about it.

mrginge:

You can spot them easy enough when one driver wont leave the yard without getting a fitter to replace a bulb whilst another guy is doing what he can out on the road to get the truck back to the yard.

Example, me of the tender age of 29 and only driving since 21. I had an air bag blow up on my unit lift axle when running at 44T, I find the next layby to disconnect the trailer, lift the axle, and drive (After phoning the boss admittedly) to the nearest Volvo 30mins away. 45mins later Im off back to my trailer with new bag fitted to hitch up and still get to where I planned originally that evening just 2-3hrs later but still got to the pub.

Other drivers would have phoned that in, waited 1-2hrs for a fitter to turn up, then drop the trailer and go to Volvo and so on and then wasted so much time probably stayed in that layby for the night 2hrs away from delivery point, with no facilities and cried on Facebook about it.

Proper old school driver would have strapped up the axle, and carried on till the weekend.

Clearly there are level’s to being oldskool to climb.

I should probably get in touch with AndrewG and go to Spain and sign up for a course on bodging and getting the job done.

the nodding donkey:

mrginge:

Proper old school driver would have strapped up the axle, and carried on till the weekend.

Exactly what I thought…:slight_smile:

I think that a proper old school driver would never mention it. He would be the one that most people were only vaguely aware of. The one who greeted the planners with a cheerful smile, and remembered the secretary’s birthday (or his wife did for him). The one the boss always sent to new customers to give a good impression and suss them out; and the one whose lorry was never the shiniest but always clean and tidy. He probably brought an apple in for the horses too.

generally I found when I was driving that if someone referred to themselves as “old school” you could assume quite accurately they were pig headed and couldn’t tell them anything, they’d been everywhere, done it all.

Old school; Had to do things to get the job done.

New school; Defect it and grab a coffee whilst it gets fixed :grimacing:

Old school; Sore knee’s and knackered wrists from 10,000 gearchanges per day.

New school; Select ’ D ’ and refuse to go on the trailer due to H&S concerns :grimacing:

I love New school :sunglasses:

Oldskool = in general the driver who did the long distance jobs, before there was any mobile phone or in cab communication.
There was no such a thing a “defecting” it and lean back, as nobody would know for days that you where broken down.

Mostimes you had 2 options, option 1 walk for miles to find a phone.
Option 2 fix it yourself, change the tyre, strap the axle up, bodge it regardless to get home.

As I hated walking I always opted for option 2

maga:
generally I found when I was driving that if someone referred to themselves as “old school” you could assume quite accurately they were pig headed and couldn’t tell them anything, they’d been everywhere, done it all.

Good point !
Calling yourself “Old Skool”, and having someone else describe you as being “Old Skool” are two very different things.

Evil8Beezle:
But in the meantime you could ask dozy, as he’s apparently old skool…

No he’s “see me after skool”